Guest viewing is limited

THR in early 40s, what's the quid pro quo in later years?

I waited, just my decision for the same reasons you have doubts. Just like the advancing technology since I first looked at THR what will they have that's even better and less invasive in the future? I never sat on the sidelines and never felt sorry for myself, I'll take my bad hips over what others have any day.
 
What exactly is the trade-off when we get to a 2nd or even 3rd revision. I know everyone is different, but how limited would a typical 70 year old be on their 2nd revision!??

I am recovering from my third revision. The operative phrase here is "I am recovering." In theory, hip implants can last a lifetime. In reality, factors other than materials can have a role in how long an implant will last. I had my previous revision at age 40 and it lasted 20+ years. During that time I raised my children, traveled, worked full-time (10 years of it in retail), worked around the house and in the yard, exercised (not as consistently as I should have, probably). I had a full and busy life and intend to continue that. I had my most recent revision because of bone loss around the cup (one of the factors why a revision might be required). Revisions are technically more challenging for the surgeon because they have to work with what you have to give you a good outcome.

Part of this all is expectations. For example, I was never a runner so I didn't (and don't) expect to run on a new hip. But I do expect that I will be able to lead a reasonably active life (for me) without severe pain. I don't know how limited a typical 70-year-old would be (I'm not there yet!) and yes, everyone is different.
 
I’m an active fire fighter currently working as a recruit instructor. I too am in pain and need my left hip sorting, but I’m putting this off in the hope I can continue in this role until the end of 2019. However, it has only recently started waking me at night with pain and this is effecting my mood etc etc. I don’t take any medication, but am contemplating doing to get me through these next 18 months.
I used to run regularly, but accept that I won’t do this anymore, but still hope I can train at the gym, compete on the indoor rower and cycle still.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Back
Top Bottom