THR THR in 20's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Charley,

Others have said this, but I'll add my thoughts: First, you only have two hips. Your first surgery is likely to be healed pretty well after a total of six months, so you are at 90-95% of normal. You haven't said what the prognosis is on the other hip from your doctor, but assuming it is not good either, just steel yourself to getting the other one done. And I'm sorry to say, the sooner the better. I did my second hip much quicker than the other, I held my nose, put other thoughts out of my mind, and just did it, soon after my doctor showed me the offending x-ray. And while my first new hip healed well, two years ago, my second one healed faster than anyone had seen 6 months ago. My outside physical therapist was showing me off at the PT place to the other professionals. I heal well, but also waiting for so little time (once I knew the hip was toast) made the surgery easier and the recovery easier too. Just do it, then you'll be over this, and you'll be back to your old self, dancing away.

You look lovely in your avatar photo, with a very beautiful smile. I remember being your age, with starting a career, and people hooking up, some friends having kids, etc, and the anxiety which comes with this. Just be strong. These surgeries will make you physically strong, and you'll forget the pain and the limping, and you'll be yourself again. And getting through the adversity will give you a stronger mental outlook.

Good luck!!!!

Mark
 
Hi @charley86. I am one of those young and active people, and am going through something similar. At only 18 I had a RTHR about two weeks ago. I have been recovering well and my surgeon said i can already get rid of my crutches and can bend my leg over 90 degrees. I too used to go to the gym and do things such as weighted squats, but due to my condition i adapted everything in my workouts to sitting down or something which doesn't put a lot of stress on my hips, as i feel the need to conserve my replacement and not wear it out too fast, as we are going to have multiple revision surgeries later on in life. At the moment i am feeling the exact same thing you are feeling. Such as the thought of going through all this recovery again sometime within the next few years for my other hip. As well as being very sad and discouraged due to my inability to do much at the moment. I basically do nothing all day and i just want to be able to sleep normally and comfortably again. The last week has really been a challenge emotionally, but hopefully it will all be worth it by the time i have fully recovered.
I wish you luck with your recovery as well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Legs4lyf Thanks for the message! I'm so thankful for this site to be able to connect with all walks of life. I'm interested in hearing how your recovery goes and would love updates along the way =)
----
Little update for me: Funny how so much can change in just one week. Since my Debbie Downer post about 10 days ago, I have started feeling quite a bit better. I have gotten together with my dance friends twice to have a Popping session (freestyle dancing), and I have gone on two dates!! =) Tonight I will even challenge the high heels and a dress! I'm only 2.5 weeks out from the 3 month point.... Feeling more optimistic. Starting to do some dancing again felt AMAZING - I had to limit my movements, but I tasted freedom.
 
@MarkK Just read your message. Thank you! The other leg has osteoarthritis too, but not as severely damaged. It has been feeling okay for the last few days, but just some clicking. I will wait it out for a while and see how it goes as my activities increase. Just looking forward to feeling back to normal... which shouldn't be too far away now.
 
Has anybody else gotten lower and/or upper back pain post-op?
 
My lower back hurts off and on. It seems to be triggered by me reaching to the ground and lifting something all the way up from the ground (I can't really bend my knees as I should when lifting to alleviate back pain... THR - 8 months ago.) I find that the pain goes away with rest, heating pad and sometimes the occasional ibuprofen. You are not that far out from THR... I think it's normal to have all sorts of aches and pains. :)
 
@charley86 There is hope for doing splits again (not that I would know personally, since I couldn't ever do them) Check out this post, with photo proof--https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/dancing-after-thr-4-months-pics-thr.5332/
 
Hi @charley86 I'm 38 and I've had one of my hips replaced on 12th Sept 2014 and the other 2 weeks ago on the 8th January 2015. I am a very active person I train Brazilian Jiu jitsu, weight train and used to run a lot. I suffered terribly after my first surgery. I was being sick and in extreme amounts of pain. However in the end my recovery was much quicker than other people. At my 6 week review my surgeon cleared me to start swimming, cycling and stretching my muscles again. He did tell me to be careful if I was bending my knee inward and stretching forward as that put my joint at great risk.

After that i slowly started to get back to activities swimming at 7 weeks. A little bit of stretching and some body weight exercises. I was also continuing with what the PT had told me to do. As each week passed I began to feel stronger and my flexibility started to slowly return.

I think its important to start a regular exercise program with some strength and flexibility work in it. Don't push yourself to hard just start slowly and build it up while listening to your body. Get out walking as this is a great exercise to restore functionally to you hip and the muscles.

I'm now back on the road to recovery with my second hip but have a clear plan of what to do and where i want to be.

Keep the faith with your hip replacement and the fact you'll get where you want to be in the end. Its still early days in your recovery and you have to learn to be patient it can take a year to be fully recovered.
 
Hi everyone, I'm 14 months out. Still not feeling well. I've had a migraine for 2 months and it feels like my body is out of alignment. I've seen countless RMTs, physiotherapists, and chiropractors.

My range of motion with both legs is not the same, and my right side of my body is building up more muscle than my left no matter how hard I try to be balanced.

Has anybody been through this? Any suggestions? I'm so tired of feeling pain for so long :(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@charley86 sorry you are still having pain. What are your current activity levels. Are you doing any heavy lifting or aggressive gym work?

You might want to contact your family doctor about that migraine. Two months is a long time to be suffering with that.
 
I think it's because my body is misaligned. I have the same issue in my right hip but it has not developed into bad arthritis so they have not done surgery. I wonder if having the surgery on my right hip would even out my alignment. How do I figure out if this is the right thing to do? Who do I turn to for advice? Family doctors would just crank me up on pain killers to "bandaid" the real problem. I just want to do what is right for my body.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @charley86, just read most of your thread and so sorry that after so long you are still not feeling great. I'm sure someone with lots of experience will be on here soon (tagging @Josephine ) but they will probably need more detail about your current symptoms e.g. pain type (e.g. stiffness) and location, what your current activity levels are and what pain meds (if any) you're on.

I had my RTHR when I was 19 (now 17 years ago!) but had had quite a lot of surgery on that joint throughout my childhood so I never expected it to feel quite like my good hip, but it was still a vast improvement on how it was. I did quite a bit of yoga and Pilates with modifications as my THR movement range wasn't that great, and these helped rebuild my core muscles. I also swam regularly and possibly the best exercise for rebuilding the muscles turned out to be cycling (on a hybrid bike- road bikes weren't great as too bent over which hurt my back as my hip movement didn't permit good bending over so my back bears the brunt!).

However I still have more muscle mass on my "good" (unoperated) side and now, all the way down the line that I am, this misalignment has magnified itself again. I concentrate now on regular walking, just 30mins a day, and still swim a couple of times a week. Impact sports of any sort (dancing, running, tennis etc.) are a definite no-no for me (bar the odd night of wiggling on the dance floor, which doesn't happen too often anymore sadly!) and if I do try I suffer the following days!

I think core muscle strength is vital but exercises like squats etc. really aggravate my pain (I now have trochanteric bursitis on that hip that started a couple of years ago & flares easily) - I also have now had to give up kettle bells which 4-5 years ago I did a couple of sessions of a week.

I know what you mean about not knowing who to turn to. Family doctors (GPs) over here are the same - prescribe more painkillers, if lucky another course of PT, but not sure what else to do with you. Much of my problems now are "soft tissue" so my hip surgeon not much help either! So I find I try to figure out what makes me feel better or worse and adapt my life accordingly as far as possible.

Saying all that I did have a great first 12 years out of my hip but didn't have as high expectations as others have, just being able to cycle a bike was a massive bonus after years of not being able to.

I hope some of the resources and people on here can help you - I really do feel for you and hope you find a way to feel better again.
Good luck x
 
Have you tried searching out a doctor or PT unit that has advanced gait analysis equipment? Have a look here to see what I mean Free Gait Analysis at Nuffield Health Exeter. The video in it explains everything. There are other types of this device and they are becoming ever more popular lately.
 
Hi @charley86,
I'm sorry your still experiencing problems after 14 months of your surgery. I too have recently have a RTHR
2 months ago and also have a hip dysplasia problem since I was a child. I remember in the early 70s seeing a Orthopedic specialists regarding my hip problem. They told my parent that they have no cure for the problem and that more likely i'll be walking with a crutches the rest of my life.

Wrong... I'm now 53 yrs old and finally decided to have a THR on my right hip. With God's help and determination of being active most of my life, I was able to do everything hiking, running, skiing and play most team sports except tackle football. Believe it or not, I even took Karate Japanese Shotokan.

I do have my limitation with my right leg unable to cross my right leg to tie my shoe lace and Indian sitting was very difficult. Also, kicking with my right leg was very difficult and sometimes painful, especially the high kicks.

Enough about my past... I saw my Orthopedic surgeon, a month after my surgery as a follow up of how I'm doing. I explain to him able my problem thinking that my Right Leg is longer that my left leg. He has lengthen the right leg to make both legs even during the surgery. But, if I walk with a cane, I notice that my right leg feels longer. He told me that you brain needs to adjust to the new length of the right leg and that all this years your brain has been training your muscle to walk and compensate the right leg.

I have compare both legs and they do look even from the hip to my ankle. I have been walking with a cane 2 weeks after my surgery and notice that my brain is surely adjusting to the new even legs. Now, I would walk for 15 mins a day notice that my right leg and my brain is adjusting properly.

It's been 2 months since my surgery, the only problems I'm experiencing is pain on my buttocks and where the incisions was perform. Due to hip dysplasia problem, the doctor has to perform a posterior surgery and the cut was 6 -7 inches long and 2 screws was used to hold the rotator cup.

It's best to see an Orthopedic Specialist to give you a second opinion with your problem.


FYI... When I saw the Orthopedic Specialist last summer, He ask me, " Why, it took you so long to have your THR on your right hip". I told him, honestly, "I afraid of the surgery making my right hip worse than it is".

So far so good. Thank God!

Good Luck to you Charley...
 
Hey there! I am having my THR surgery at 42 for dysplasia on Feb 11, but my first meeting with an ortho doc at 20. I can't comment about post surgery outcomes, but I have a great sense of understanding about 'your body giving way' ....especially in the arts! (Career in theatre) So frustrating!! It used to make me SOOOO angry. In dance, balance, symmetry, and core strength are key....so I am sure that it is infuriating to feel like you can't find the right answer. And dancers/singers often have a unique awareness about their bodies and the small differences a physical change makes in their performance.

Are you seeing someone who specializes in athletes? I would call the professional dance company in town and find out who they work with. My husband is a 'voice over guy', and we called the opera company when he was having a major voice problem last year. Good luck!
 
I just read your thread. I can relate to how you feel. I'm a dancer, too. (Well, I was a dancer.) I performed on tour with Broadway shows. I also taught dance and yoga for 30 years.

It sounds to me like you need to have the other hip done. I had mine done together. I think it made it easier, because they were exactly even lengths, and I was able to rebuild the muscles at the same time. Before the surgery, my inner and outer thigh muscles were wasting away, in spite of working out every day. Now they are a healthy size.

I'm sorry that you are going through all of this. It takes a lot of time to heal. I have friends who have returned to teaching ballet and taking ballet class after this surgery. It took them a long time, though. In my case, I'm using my creativity in other ways now. (singing, acting, and comedy.) I can do some easy dance "movement," but I try not to push it. It just worries me that I might cause damage.

I hope you can heal those migraines and find a solution. It must be frustrating. I don't blame you for not wanting to use painkillers for this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom