Guest viewing is limited

THR THR in 20's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm absolutely certain you haven't dislocated it @charley86 , as @younghippie said, my surgeon told my hubby when he asked what we do if I dislocated my hip "call for an ambulance", and when he asked how we'd know he just put his head to one side and went... "you'll know!!"
There's a lot of soft tissue healing going on, asking it to heal AND bend out it's current comfort zone is probably a bit rude - and it's letting you know :bignono: It could take a few days to settle, obviously if the pain increases or doesn't respond to the treatment that your pain has responded to previously (ice,rest, meds whatever has worked!) then seek some advice from a medical professional familiar with your case (your OS or primary health care provider)
It's hard to not worry about dislocation; I was so miserable about the amount of restrictions I had (designed of course to keep my risk as low as possible considering the type of surgery I'd had) my OS came and gave me some advice on Day 1.. he said don't let the very small chance of a dislocation taint the whole recovery:blackcloud: - if not being obsessed about all of the restrictions all of the time meant I was not miserable all of the time he considered it an acceptable trade off for the very small increase to an already very small risk.
 
okay thank you for the feedback. The pain has not gotten worse, but has also not gone away. Perhaps I will call my doctor if it persists for a few more days.
 
my automatic reaction was to twist and grab it.
Twisting is a no, no for a new hip and it is obviously telling you it's not happy. If you dislocated you would be in shear agony and not able to move. Ice and elevate and be sure and take your meds regularly. It will settle with rest and time.
 
Keep icing would be my suggestion, as you have some irritated soft tissue from the twisting - and yes, ring your GP to get some reassurance. x
 
I have done a few things that my hip hasn't liked very much. Just remember to stay on your pain medication. If you miss a dose your body will tell you. Then it will take time to catch up on the pain management. Also remember that sleep or napping is also a way for your body to heal.

AVN of both hips. Had RTHR on July 7th
 
@charley86

Just checkin in on my fellow Canuk Bonesmartie. How is the pain now? Lots of ice around the clock and rest always worked for me! Hope you are feeling better

Cheryl
 
Hey does anybody else have issues or concerns about internal rotation after surgery? My left hip seems to be missing a lot of this internal rotation from what I can tell so far. I'm hoping that this gets better over time rather than worse?
 
@CanukTriMom Sorry, I just saw your post now! As far as pain, it's very minimal. My physiotherapist is really impressed with my progress so far, but she has no answers for my above question ^^.
 
It's been 9 weeks and I still have problems with turning my hip inward. It will probably take a while. As per my therapist. You will also have problem after working out. My legs feel weak the operated one.
 
Can anybody tell me (or give me a link) information on restrictions after the 3-6 months post op?

ie.
Can I do squats?
What about weighted squats?
How far past 90 can I go if I want to stretch a lot after work outs.
Are all Yoga poses safe?
Is it unsafe to dance? And I don't mean ballroom dancing... (hip hop, popping etc).
Are there any restrictions with lifting your leg horizontally, or doing side/front splits?

I'm pretty athletic, and I have a lot of questions that have gone unanswered so far.
 
@charley86

You need to call your OS as he or she will have the answers to those questions. I am just coming up on 11 weeks and my OS cleared me for everything except bungee jumping. No not all yoga poses are safe but still between you OS and your Physio, you should be able to get those questions answered.

Cheryl
 
[Bonesmart.org] THR in 20's
@charley86, if you read the articles found with this link, you may find a lot of your questions answered: Stories of amazing hip recoveries
 
Well, I made it back to my first day of work today. Aside from my little students being shocked and happy to see me, the first thing noticed was my weight loss. Happy to finally be getting back into shape as I'd gained almost 20 lbs from not being able to exercise properly pre-surgery. yayy! I also started doing a bit of swimming today. Things are looking up. Slow but steady.
 
Just looking for some encouragement...

I'm 8 weeks post-op, and have been able to do more things such as water walking, driving and at least getting to work to observe. But with that being said, the difficulties seem to be outweighing the good. The left side of my pelvis is sitting lower than my right and it makes it challenging and exhausting to stay centred while walking and during daily activities. I've also started to get more pain in my right groin (had surgery on my left) which makes me worried that I will have to go through all of this much too soon for my other hip. I'm just feeling really discouraged and want to be through all of this. I see all of my 20 and 30 year old friends moving forward with their lives, and I feel so stagnant. =( Not being able to attend outings with my friends, having to put work and school on hold, the fact that nobody wants to date a 'broken girl'... it's all becoming very overwhelming.
 
@charley86 - not sure how much encouragement I can give you as I'm probably about the same - I had RTHR in July this year, and now my left is playing up and I'm thinking of getting that done next year. HOWEVER - once it's done I'm looking forward to a fully active life again ! I'm sorry to hear that it's looking like you'll need your other hip done too, but it sounds like you've made a great recovery from hip number one, and I'm sure you'll do the same with hip number two. And then there'll be no stopping you.

As for dating - anyone who is put off because you are a bright, beautiful, courageous young woman who knows what it's like to have bad things happen in her life as well as good is just plain STOOPID ! There is someone out there who deserves you and you will find them !

xx



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@charley86 like you I am 28. I had my rTHR 4 weeks before you. My left is already screaming to be replaced curse you AVN. When I was 21. I was diagnosed with multiple brain tumors. I already had two surgeries. I am deaf with my left ear and right one is a mess. Cheer up mate, things could be much worse. When I was 25, about 3 years ago. I was dumped by a chick because of my disability lol. She was 24 at that time. It's been over 3 years almost going to four. I actually had a relationship because of the scars. I am probably never going to have a proper relationship in my life again. It's holiday season have a drink. Remember, things can be worse. Be blessed. There are people (me as an example) have it 10000 times worse. No dude in their right wouldn't date you.
 
I hope you all get well. Heck of love to squat lol. But hope pain gets better.


SonnysWife❤️
 
Hi @charley86 ... so you missed my "pity party"? It was a doozy :heehee: make sure you read the last paragraph of this post or you'll think I'm just spreading it out to you.

the difficulties seem to be outweighing the good
You could be describing how I feel or have felt in the last couple of weeks. I'm three weeks ahead of you and sometimes it IS overwhelming. I am, or thought I was, a patient person but this process sorely tests us.
I'm just feeling really discouraged and want to be through all of this
You are NOT alone @charley86, I'm sure we ALL want to be through it, the thing to do is read more of the threads here on BS and see that, for the vast majority of people that's exactly what happens - with expressions of frustration along the way. As I said in my "Whine and Cheese pity party post" learning to grit one's teeth while dragging one's sorry a** around is the REAL name of the game in THR recovery land.
You see your peers moving along with their lives, feeling "left behind" is not solely the province of the young THR recipient; my youngest son is gay, he is 30 and it's just hit him that all his friends (certainly the straight ones) are moving along - when they were in their 20s they were all "foot loose and fancy free", now they're settling down he's feeling it... he's been down about it but has turned a corner now and realizes that his life will bring what it brings, and he can enjoy the process. He has suffered depression and his exact words echoed yours "no one wants to date a broken guy", what he has realized now is that good people see the person you are, shallow people see the problem you have... you don't want a shallow guy anyway, so you've got the perfect test card for them :heehee: Yours isn't even a "problem"... you've had a THR, probably will have another, and that's pretty much it - your scars (if that's what worry you) show how strong you are - that you were able to go through such an operation and do well.

Re the discomfort standing and walking; I was going pretty well, then the Physio addressed the "gait" issue (that I didn't think I had!) Since then I have had what you described..
it makes it challenging and exhausting to stay centred while walking and during daily activities
I was resentful (of whom I'm not sure, but just felt narky at everyone!) that I was being put back into pain/discomfort to address an issue that I didn't consider real... now the good news is that, after persevering a few weeks (no, it wasn't easy) it's so much less challenging to stay centred, and that means it's so much less tiring too :yes!:

The feeling of being stagnant is terrible, I find myself comparing myself with other THR recipients (even though we are warned not to, I think it's a natural human trait) ... never mind people in the real world ... and I feel "lacking"; but in truth that's NOT the case. I'm doing pretty well for someone with my issues, and I'm sure and certain you are doing well for someone with your issues, you've got to allow yourself to "feel" your successes, in the end it's what YOU'VE got to keep you going.

I'm like you too in that my right hip needs doing, again in my pity party I said that I'm going to wait until I can't walk so that I feel the benefits outweighing the costs straight away (told you it was a pity party!) I know that's a silly idea... part of the reason I'm having so much trouble with this one is because I waited until the joint collapsed... but I DO, really DO know what you mean about not wanting to go through it all again so soon. The only good thing about that would be I'd have run out of hips that "need doing" :heehee:

Now to the last paragraph. Since my pity party, I have had something of an epiphany. Firstly, my Bonebuddies jumped in, and (probably because I told them not to bother with "there, there dear, it'll get better" isms) have told me that THEY have all had the issues I've had; now these are the very people I thought were doing marvelously well and so much better than me - it was strangely comforting to know that I was only average in my recovery and not retarded! and that I am not "alone" in this journey. Secondly, I got cleared from my 12 weeks of restrictions three days early, woo hoo :eyebrows: (talk about doing your head in... 12 weeks!) and can finally start to at least TRY and improve my ROM... having that independence handed back is very empowering. Thirdly, and most importantly, I feel better - MUCH better! The stiffness is easing, the psoas discomfort (which moves into the pain zone at times) is easing, the tiredness is easing... I am working on the ROM and I'm sure (probably wishful thinking, but if it feels good go with it I say) it's increasing. All in all I'm so much of a better place than I was a couple of weeks ago:happydance:

You'll be here soon FOR SURE
xx
 
@craftdee thank you for the response. It does help hearing your comparison to your son, and you're right about the test card. I guess I'm just having my own pity party right now and making it hard to see the light at the end. It's hard to let all of the negative feelings go when all you can do is live it - even when things are put into perspective... but I will get there :dubious:. I think you're right about comparing myself to other stories - I really should slow down on reading the positive hip recoveries.... it takes my brain to bad places. For some they're probably good, but not everybody.
 
@charley86 I think we've all been there with the pity party. You know until I read @craftdee's post, I had completely forgotten that a few weeks ago I was crying because it felt like I'd gone through so much with getting my right hip done only to be no "better" overall because of my left. But like @craftdee says, there can only be one more hip to go. Then just watch me, dancing on tables again :-). You'll get there too.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom