Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Third time’s the charm

Great update Marian, onward and upward! :egypdance:
 
I’ve been graduated to using a cane in the house. PT still wants me to use a walker outside which is a good idea with the snow and ice around. Sometimes I even walk away from the cane.

I finally took a shower:bath:tonight. I had been afraid about possible MRSA infection again so I waited until after my first visit to the PA. It was fabulous!
 
Yeah! The first shower feels wonderful!
 
I was doing an exercise with my in-home PT today and all of a sudden the inner side of my right knee gave out a loud pop and I also felt a pretty strong ouch! I wasn’t hurting before while doing the exercises. I’m not sure what the cause was. After a few minutes all was back to my normal knee now which is 0(1-10) when at rest and no worse than 3 otherwise while doing some exercises. The ‘ouch’ was a very sharp 9 but was gone in a moment. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? I definitely don’t want to have it happen again.
 
I don’t, but I’m so relieved you feel “normal “ now with no problems resulting. How scary though. Did the PT have any thoughts?
 
PT was getting to leave and just said maybe it was a hamstring. I doubt that's the answer. I will try to get an answer this week at outpatient therapy.
 
I had my first outpatient therapy appointment yesterday. My muscles are still quite sore. He did an assessment of my knee and told me my leg muscles were weak. He prescribed some exercises to do. I feel so out of shape. I'll keep working on the exercises and took it easy today.
 
I just had a thought about e the popping sounds I'm having. My OS placed antibiotic pearls at the end of the stems in the lower and upper leg. He also used antibiotic glue. Could one of the pearls move our of place and be the cause of the occasional 'pop'?
 
Sounds like you are doing really great with your recovery!
 
Please don’t let that get you down- (your doctor saying your legs are weak). You have come so far!
 
It's now 1 month since I had my total revision. Some things are good : I can walk without a cane in my house but use it when I go out. ROM is 110 and 3. When sitting my knee has no pain.

My weakness includes some back pain. I also have weakness in both legs. My PT has me working on balance which is not very good if I try to stand on one leg. I wind up having to grab onto a pole so I don't lose balance while doing exercises. She has told me I will get better as I keep doing the exercises prescribed for me.

All in all I feel like I am having a good recovery especially compared to the last surgery on this knee.
 
Do you find that standing on one leg with the non surgical leg is harder then with the surgical leg?
 
That's great ROM so soon after all that knee has been through! :yahoo: Really happy to hear things are progressing well for you.
 
I'm now at 112 degrees flexion and I can't seem to get to full extension. I'm walking without a cane. I'm re-learning how to walk down the stairs step over step. I haven't been able to do that in years. I'm due back to work April 5th.

So what's the problem you may ask? I'm feeling depressed and I feel like I could burst out in tears. I still have my friend staying at my house so I know I won't cry with her here. I have a history of depression. I have a visit with my psychiatrist this week.
 
:console2::console2:

It is so easy to get depressed and emotional in this recovery. I hope your visit with your psychiatrist will help you feel better.

Here’s a reminder about the post op blues:
 
Praying for you @newlybionic. I am so sorry you are battling depression. Sometimes a good cry is helpful and sometimes it just makes things worse. I hope (and trust!) your psychiatrist is able to help you feel better.
 
My visit with my Psychiatrist went well. We both came to the conclusion that my feeling down is probably due to my lack of sleep. I’m not going to stress about my lack of sleep but just take a nap or two during the day to make up for it.

I’m still working how to do steps like an adult, step over step. I can usually do it but I still am frightened to do it that way. My PT is working on it with me. I find it easier going up. I’ve been practicing on my steps at home but without someone with me, I am very hesitant. My steps also have plush carpeting which makes them higher than the steps I have at PT.
 
For what your knee has been through I think you are doing well. Lack of sleep is very depressing and I'm glad your doctor said that's the cause your depression is coming from. Sleeping, whenever you can, is a good idea.

I wasn't able to do the steps as an adult for at least 4 months and then it was holding on to rails on both sides.
 
I have off this week and next and then it’s back to work. I’ve been working very hard at therapy trying to build up muscle strength. I’m a little worried because my stamina is just not there. I’m fortunate I only work 8 hour days than 12. My back gets sore when I need to stand for a while. I will have been off 12 weeks but I wish I had a few more.
 
Back
Top Bottom