Revision TKR Third time’s the charm

I hope that the swelling will go down soon and that the bruising will fade away.
 
My ROM is improving. At the hospital i was at 80 on Wednesday morning before i left. Friday at home I was still at 80. Today I was measured at 93.
I'm getting around fairly well. I have some nauseousness at times. Im not taking very many pain pills during the day. My pain levels usually only go up to a four. I have a little more pain after PT.
I will take pain a tramadol and tylenol extra strength to see if it helps. Has anyone else had nausea not related to pain meds?
 
@newlybionic Did you have a spinal or GA? I had horrid nausea for days post my spinal surgery (had GA).

Sounds like you are doing really well!
 
Until I could start eating correctly I had nausea. I found that saltines helped, also peppermints.

I'm like Jaycey, I threw up for at least a week after a GA. Thank God they have gotten away from those!
 
I'm glad you're doing so well, Marian.

As for the nausea, some people do have it and others lose their appetite for a while.
It does help if you have something like a cracker to nibble on, but if the nausea really bothers you, ask to have an anti-emetic such as Zofran prescribed.
 
I had a nerve block, spinal block and sedation. I dont remember much of the surgery. Just the little bit of sedation thry gave me for the nerve block really knocked me out for the most part.

I tried crackers and that helped a bit. I do have a few zofran pills here if things get really bad.
 
I was looking at my leg tonight and the bruising has gotten much worse. Im bruised on the side of my leg from mid thigh almost down to my ankle and behind my knee. I never had so much bruising before. Do I need to call the OS or is this still normal?
 
The side of my leg where the bruising is located is sore to touch. I keep getting zingers in the knee itself. I have elevated with ice on it almost all the time. I just seem to get the swelling to diminish. I guess I just need more time. ROM is 97 and 5
 
You know how the timing goes...your knee has it's own clock. It took a while for some of my bruising to appear too. This procedure seems to have less problems then some of your past ones.
 
@PegGar16 youre right. Im doing so much better after this replacement than the other procedures. I just dont remember having this much swelling. I probably had it but other problems were much more noticeable.

Im very happy with my progress so far. Pain levels are 0 to 5 on a scale of (1-10). Im not taking pain meds around the clock. Elevation and icing seem to do the trick the majority of the time. Im getting zingers now from the nerves starting to mend. They seem to hit me mostly when i try to sleep.

Sleeping at night is still on and off. I dont make it all the way through the night. I usually wind up taking several naps during the day.
 
Fantastic that you are doing better than your last replacements! Taking naps is a good thing. I took plenty of them during my recovery.
 
I didn’t know what zingers were before surgery. It’s a weird thing. I’ve read people on here say they show that your nerves are healing!

I’m so glad things seem to -overall -e going good.
 
I have an appointment with the PA that works with my OS. She assists him during surgery and will see patients post op. I like her very much. With my last surgery she even gave me her private cell phone number. I have a visit this Wednesday with her. I will be getting the dressing removed by her.

My post op instructions said i could shower with it still on I am too afraid to do it after the MRSA infection i got with the initial surgery. I will wait until they take the bandage off and I am told that the incision is healed. I will be relaxed then and able to enjoy the shower.

My current ROM is 3 and 100. Im very happy with that since it isnt three weeks yet and its better than i was pre surgery.
 
I saw the PA today and she showed me my xrays and said everything looked perfect. She showed me all the hardware that is in my knee. She told me that there was so much scar tissue in my knee that they couldn’t get it to bend very far before the surgery. They worked on me until they got it to bend normally. The OS wants every knee to at least hit 110. She said I should get more than that.

I was given the ok to start to drive. Of course I can’t be taking any pain meds and I will have to do some test driving to make sure I can stop the car in an emergency. I’m also to start with outpatient PT. I’m slated to have an evaluation next week.
 
That sounds like a great appointment-~assessment! Your PA sounds great. I love that she took the time to show you hardware!
 
Back
Top Bottom