Revision TKR Third and final surgery all done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Jockette, , don't know how to find your thread. Not very good at this computer stuff and forums and the such. Is there a name on the wedge or can you give me dimensions of width and height? Just in case I can't find you. I searched for you with your name that you said but it said the member couldn't be found.
Thanks fire wolf for the ice pack info.
 
Also, good to hear about Mayo clinic possible change in ideas for PT, after total knee replacement
 
The brand is Cryomax, and I got them at Walmart, but they can be found online as well. They do take awhile to freeze up well, so I have 4 that I switch in and out.
I have two of the cryomax wraps and have found them also to be exceptional. They maintain the cold for so much longer than any others I have found and the straps help you keep it on your leg. I also bought them at Walmart :-)
 
I have the lounge doctor and consider it my recovery MVP - I still use it and will use it for knee #2. I elevated at night longer than I iced at night mostly because I was freezing with the ice. I am one of the lucky ones with a great PT clinic. I still go twice a month and find it very helpful in terms of functional mobility.
 
@kayow11 - I Have now merged both your recovyr threads together, as you requested.
Before my last surgery, Josephine wrote me a very lengthy and detailed message regarding all the issues I wrote about in my first thread. Overall, her recommendation was for me to not do PT at all. I was doing too much at home too. Thanks for your input Josephine:)
I suggest you take Josephine's advice and also apply it to your newest TKR.

As most of you know that are Americans, it is highly recommended to do regular PT 2X week at the clinic, and 2X a day at home. They always preach (and truly believe) that scar tissue is a big issue if one doesn't stretch and exercise regularly.
While I agree that many Americans are advised to do that, so are people in other countries. It's not just a US thing, but it does depend on where your surgeon did his/her training. I have heard several different recovery philosophies in just my own small country.

My own surgeon (working in NZ, but trained in Australia) doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a TKR. He says the knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing, before it is stressed with exercise. His patients all do well, and he hasn't had to do an MUA to help with ROM for the past 4 years.

Since I don't believe that American knees are constructed any differently from knees in the rest of the world, I think that all the emphasis on the need for lots of exercise is misplaced.
My big issue is swelling! And it doesn't seem like it's going to leave even with all this elevate and icing. It is going to take it's sweet time going down. I am 3 months out from the first one and still only have about 95 degrees and is still swollen some.
It's perfectly normal for swelling to continue for as long as this. It's not going to go down in just a couple of weeks.
Even at 9 months post-op, my knees would still swell if I did too much for them. It's a warning sign to ease off some activity that the knees don't like.
I actually think that 65° at Day 7 is rather terrible. Everyone else in class was doing 90 and better. My other knee was even better at that point of two days postop.
How much should I rest elevate and ice? Ice for 45 minutes four times a day or even more ? I like to have specifics or at least some good guidelines to start with. I just think I am one that swells excessively. No matter what I do.
Since most surgeons don't expect 90 degrees until around 6 weeks, I think you are setting your expectations too high, which could pave the way for disappointment and frustration.

Your knee will progress on its own schedule, not on anyone else's but if you exercise it too much, you are likely to increase the amount of swelling and decrease its ROM. That was the heart of the advice that Josephine gave you.
Pretty much every doctor in the US thinks it is the only way to success. Another I really appreciated was the info Fire Wolf sent on the specifics of exercises, and mostly the icing, rest and elevation with % of time doing this. I like details like this, so thank you. It will help me gauge time spent doing things.
I highly suspect that , whatever the surgeons expect, many of their patients have found out that exercising so much is not the best way to proceed with their new knees.

Fire wolf has told you what worked for her knee. That's fine, but as long as you spend most of your time resting, icing and elevating for the first month, you will not go far wrong.

Don't forget the advice in this article: Activity progression for TKRs

Did many of you ice and/or elevate during sleeping also?
It's a good idea to do that.
As long as you have some material between your skin and the icing medium, you can ice all night long, without any ill-effects.


When it comes down to it, how much exercising you do is your choice. Just bear in mind that you were exercising your first TKR too much, so don't make the same mistake again.

For what it's worth, I've had three knee replacements (a PKR, a Revision to TKR, and a TKR of the other knee).
I did minimal PT for the first two replacements and none at all for the last one. I just let the activities of daily living be my exercise.
Both my knees are strong and reliable. I can do everything I want to with them. Apart from an occasional, mild niggle, they give me no pain, and I seldom think of them.
Both knees straighten fully and bend to over 125 degrees.
 
There is PT and there is PT. There is exercise and there is exercise. PT and exercise after a tkr would best be described as movement, getting used to bending your knee, getting comfortable and confident that it is going to work, slowly introducing your knee to all that you want it to do. For non- tkr- recovery, PT and exercise is usually pushing your body the farthest it can go, and then taking a break to let it heal. Those two scenarios are very different!
Some people can do the exercise that is right for where they are, with no outside help. They are motivated, educated, and understand what their body needs at that time. But some people need the guidance and comfort that comes from using a well trained therapist/trainer.
Each person should evaluate which would benefit them the most. If you are the type of person who rarely gets off the couch, you might benefit more with someone who can gently take your and your knee through appropriate movements. If you are self-motivated and usually active, you may be able to get your own self moving appropriately. And one of the nice things about our world, is we can try different things and see what works best for us.
 
I did not buy my elevating wedge, the hospital sent it home with me. Well, I guess I actually did buy it, but not from a store!

Many on here do like the loung doctor that I think you can get on Amazon.

I recognize you now that your threads have been merged. So did your surgeon do an MUA on the other leg during the current tkr surgery? I don't know if I missed it if you mentioned it. Just curious.
 
I did not have the manipulation done on that first right knee while my left knee was being replaced. Spoke with the surgeon before surgery and told him I was at 4° of extension and 94° of flexion. He said that was good enough for now and even though it is slow, that it will likely come along as Time heals and the swelling goes down. So he was not pushy at all and said not doing it was fine with him. I felt relieved about that and I am glad because I still think swelling is inhibiting my first knee too. It is having to rest some along with the new knee now but still has some of it's own issues and that may go on for months I guess. It is also nice to have one knee that's not too bad to use and depend on while the new one is convalescing.
 
I'm glad your surgeon was understanding. Thanks for answering!
 
So glad your surgeon seems to understand what you have gone through. Many strong people would be crying like a baby if they had to do through what you have. You are very strong, and you are only going to get stronger from here on.
 
Thank you all for your wonderful words of encouragement. Thanks Jockette for sending the photo of your leg elevation pillow. I saw something very similar to it on Amazon for about $45. I need to think about this since it is a bigger expense.
Just ordered on Amazon though the cryo-Max ice packs which I hear the ice lasts for up to six or eight hours. Walmart only had the 12 x 6". I wanted the 12 x 12. That sounds wonderful instead of up every hour to change them. Thanks for the info everyone that mentioned that to me.
Do any of you supplement your oxycodone or narcotic, with ibuprofen? I was recommended to do so and I am doing some of it but not the max dose like they say. Afraid to take meds and cause damage to my insides. Have enough to deal with right now.
I am getting more and more bold in deciding to not do much if any exercises. At least at this point it feels right for me, because of so much swelling and it just hurts to bend hardly at all. I will just do what is recommended by you all, and to move when I can. Some walking and normal activities will be my focus for now.
I really look forward to hearing from any of you that respond and getting more information and whatever else you want to say. You are like my new best friend now since I am so laid up on this couch with my leg up most of the day.
 
Do any of you take ibuprofen in addition to your narcotic? I was recommended to take 600 mg four times a day. I am only taking 400 mg two times a day. They say it helps with inflammation but I know it can upset the digestive system too. Of course I take it with food but don't want to take much unless it is helping A lot. Can't really tell since everything seems about the same and will probably be like this, status quo, for at least a couple more weeks. It is only day eight.
I did order the cryo-Max cold packs from Amazon though. Walmart only had the small size. Still thinking about the foam wedge for elevation. Thanks to all who contributed information on these products.
 
I really look forward to hearing from any of you that respond and getting more information and whatever else you want to say. You are like my new best friend now since I am so laid up on this couch with my leg up most of the day.

It is so good you are here! We all need friends who understand, and our in person friends don't always, or can get tired of our constant knee concerns.

Good for you with your leg up most of the day! You are not alone in that!! I am most comfortable in or on my bed...it is where I sleep and mostly where I lounge during the day. I think I have 10 pillows all around for various propping comforts!

:yes!:
 
Do any of you take ibuprofen in addition to your narcotic? I was recommended to take 600 mg four times a day. I am only taking 400 mg two times a day. They say it helps with inflammation but I know it can upset the digestive system too. Of course I take it with food but don't want to take much unless it is helping A lot.
I really don't think it's a good idea to take the Ibuprofen. It can relieve a little pain, but its main purpose is as an anti-inflammatory - an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory). Your knee is inflamed now as a natural result of the surgery trauma and you're treating that with rest, ice and elevation.

The NSAIDs increase your tendency to bleed, especially if you are still taking anticoagulants. They can cause catastrophic bleeding from the stomach, so you should stop taking them if you experience any gastric symptoms at all.

In addition, a recent study has shown that NSAIDs can increase your likelihood of developing heart problems:
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

They're not the harmless little pills the manufacturers would have us believe!
 
Thanks for your input on the ibuprofen. I never liked taking that stuff and I am already on a big dose of daily aspirin for anticoagulant. So I guess I can stop taking that without a problem.
Pills pills and more pills, I dislike them all except I really do need the oxycodone right now and probably will for the First whole month at least.
My back gets very sore though when I am in bed laying on it all night long. Too painful to lay on my side or barely even shift or slightly bend my knee. Do any of the rest of you have this problem too? And what would you do about it?
I was trying to look up about mayo clinic and their exercise recommendations after new replacement. It was very vague and didn't give me any info that could be helpful for me to decrease the need for aggressive PT that I could see. At least it's not being advertised that way right now.
 
I did not take Ibuprofen, but was on a regimen that included Oxycodone every 4 hrs, and Tramadol every 6 hrs which I took 1000mg of Tylenol with. I cut the oxycodone first, was on the Tramadol and Tylenol combo for awhile longer, then just Tylenol. Of course this was all per my OS's instruction and is by no means meant as directions for what you should take. Just my particular case. :)
 
Thanks for your input on the ibuprofen. I never liked taking that stuff and I am already on a big dose of daily aspirin for anticoagulant. So I guess I can stop taking that without a problem.
Ouch! The very thought of both Aspirin and Ibuprofen going into your stomach makes me cringe! I'm very glad to read you always make sure you eat something at the same time.

I spent a lot of my time sleeping in my recliner when my back was sore. Somehow, my back was more comfortable when I was sitting up a little.
 
Be careful if you buy a wedge, I don't think they are all the same. Mine has a space cut into it for my leg which gives me a comfortable little bend for my knee while my leg is on it. I don't think they all have that. You don't want your leg completely straight.
 
These are the wedges to avoid:
[Bonesmart.org] Third and final surgery all done
Leg too straight.

[Bonesmart.org] Third and final surgery all done
Leg too bent.

This one gives the sort of angle your leg needs:
[Bonesmart.org] Third and final surgery all done



I took the above photos from this article:
Elevation: the do's and dont's
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom