THR Things Nobody Told Me Before Surgery That I Wish I Had Known

@LucyVanPelt unfortunately the one they gave me at the hospital was for knees but they said it might work. It was way more hassle than any benefit so I just used the gel packs that I had ordered from Amazon. I think I had three good size ones so I could switch them out and always have a cold one in the freezer. They were nice as you could kind of wrap it around the hip and it also was great when my thigh was bothering me. Just remember to put a towel or something between the ice packs and your skin.
 
Breg‘s polar cold care is a great system to help control swelling/pain , they come in many different models.
Also battery operated air pump sleeves to put on legs is easy to apply, great for pumping oxygen and blood flow, helps decrease swelling and pain.
Both I used and have had excellent results in treating legs after THR surgery, any surgery or injury. Shoulders ,knees…most joins. it’s to bad more surgeons don’t recommend them.
 
I purchased one because I was going to need my other hip replaced. Mine will work for multiple areas which makes it nice. I thought it was a good investment.
 
I just purchased the Breg Polar Pack Cube. I hope this helps knock down the pain I feel at the end of the day.

I’m afraid of sleeping with it, though. Maybe I’ll just wear it for an hour at night.

Isn’t there some risk in keeping it on for hours?
 
That’s a good question, I only had my gel packs but they did last for at least 3-4 hours and everything was fine. I definitely packed them around my hip and left them on as I slept.
I’m assuming that the polar pack is also using ice packs that lose some of their icy coldness overtime. Maybe others will weigh in with how they used theirs.
@HipButSquare
 
Yes, a towel barrier is helpful when using gel packs too. I wasn’t certain whether a towel barrier would fit with the polar ice machine.
Thank you @Hippie Chick that’s good to know.
 
I did not use the band- I used a pillow to keep it in place and this worked well.
 
Thank you for all your comments!

I got lucky and purchased an "open box" Breg Polar Cube with a hip pad for $100! It will arrive next week. (You can purchase other pads for other body parts if you ever need them.)

I am 2 weeks postop and my doctor said that yes, an ice machine really helps with pain/swelling while you wean off the opioids. I also need to get my other hip done in the future so I will have it for that.

You can use the machine for much longer at a time (instead of just 20 minutes) because the cold water is above freezing and won't cause frost bite. Someone suggested getting an automatic timer for the wall outlet that you can program for 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off to use while sleeping, if needed.
 
Last edited:
Hello Lucy,
I never used an ice machine, but I'm sure you'll receive many tips from others. I hope you don't have to wait too long for the benefit it will provide. Let us know how you like it after a day or two.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful end to the week! :)
@LucyVanPelt
 
Lucky you, Lucy, I paid double for one that shows up on Tuesday.

It’s been over a a year since my operation. I wonder if it will make a difference.

I hope mine has a timer.
 
Isn’t there some risk in keeping it on for hours?
The risk was feeling great relief and not needing pain medicine. The hospital had it on me continuously from the time I reached the room to the next day when I left. It wasn't risky at all. It's not ice directly on your skin, it's circulated cold water.
 
  • Swelling comes on SUDDENLY on Day 3 post surgery. Swelling = Pain!!
    • Take your opioids at the prescribed times and start icing on Day 2 to get ahead of it.
  • Opioids make you constipated IMMEDIATELY.
    • Start taking your laxative/stool softener as soon as you get home. Don't wait until you need it.
  • Cold Therapy machine can diminish or eliminate the need for opioids and works better than gel packs, real ice, or frozen veggies. My doctor admitted this.
    • Get a Cold Therapy machine! Since it circulates cold water, which is above freezing, it will not cause frost bite and you can use it constantly even while sleeping. If constantly is too much, buy a timer for electrical outlet you can program for 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. Get 8 oz. water bottles and freeze them to use instead of ice. Get two or more sets so you can change them out while the others refreeze. You will use this machine for months to come because new/more activity may cause swelling.
  • Once hip swells, elastic on panties may cut into thigh and/or across incision.
    • Turn panties wrong side out. Elastic is smooth on the outside of panties for looks, so put it against your skin. Feels much better.
  • Sleeping on your back is difficult.
    • Put a thick memory foam pillow under your knees. (Works like the bolster they use when you get a massage.) This relaxes your back so sleeping is easier. It also reminds you not to turn on your side because it is in the way. Use a memory foam pillow with the "roll" under the neck. Get up to use the bathroom every 2-3 hours. This will prevent your back from hurting and also prevent bed sores. Sleep in your recliner if it feels better.
  • Hard handles on the walker make your fingers numb and your palms sore.
    • Order foam walker handle pads from Amazon. Use both pads that come with them. Rolling/taping bath cloths around the handles is not sufficient.
  • Support stockings make your legs itch.
    • When itching starts, get someone to put a good lotion on your legs and feet. Let dry then put stockings back on.
  • Support stockings will cut into your legs just below the knee and make them very sore.
    • Reposition the top of the stockings a couple of times a day and just before going to bed to prevent the sore spots.
  • Exercising one day makes you sore and worn out the next.
    • Do your exercises when you feel like you can. Go at your own pace. Don't let a PT pressure you into hurting yourself.
  • Sitting around almost all the time with your leg elevated gets boring.
    • Line up some Netflix shows to binge watch. Watch The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Watch all the Harry Potter movies. Watch all the James Bond movies. Get some audiobooks from the library. Read books. If you can't stay awake to read, let yourself nap. You get the idea.
 
Last edited:
@LucyVanPelt You will notice that I merged your 3 threads into your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Lucy, are these your helpful hints, or your surgeon's? I like the information and I thank you for sharing!

One thing I will add is many women find the boy shorts, the soft, no elastic on the leg type of women's underwear most comfortable and some even wear mens boxers initially. Why are women's undergarments the ones that are always so confining! :gaah: I'd like to see a man wear a bra and tight panties for one day. Actually, no I wouldn't like to see it, maybe just hear how comfortable they felt it was.
Have a great Monday!
@LucyVanPelt
 
Swelling didn't come for me, might be because of the constant icing.
Constipation didn't come either, but I was given Miralax at the hospital right away and followed with it at home.
The frozen vegies for a hip replacement would be a joke, like a bandaid on a gunshot.
Panties? we don't need no panties. Shorts and commando for the first days works just fine.
Back sleeping is just back sleeping. If you think or make too much of it you'll never sleep.
I never had to lean on my walker much, it's just for stability. I put tennis balls on the back legs to make it quiet and slide easily.
Never wore support stockings, they don't sound like fun.
I didn't nap, made back sleeping easier.
 
After revision I had a huge amount of swelling . Lots of ice and a pillow under my leg . Icing regularly combined with a battery op compression system on my leg helped tremendously. Kept the blood flow and oxygen moving and a lot less swelling and pain. I struggled severely in rehab for the first few weeks.

After I can home I ordered the compression system and it made a huge difference in controlling my pain. I really recommend getting the compression system after THR surgery. I wish I knew about it when I had the first two hips replaced.

During the two primary surgeries I wore compression socks did not have a lot of swelling of course I was a few years younger. After the first 2 primary surgeries slept on my back with a special wedge pillow between my legs helped keep the swelling down . Never did any rehab after the second surgery. I realized that after the first surgery just time to heal and walking worked well. And I always stayed ahead of the pain which is essential to taking pain meds as prescribed and on time. Set the timer for pain meds made a huge difference toward feeling well.
 
Last edited:
Post surgery underwear is a problem- boy shorts style was the solution as @Layla mentioned! Who would have known? Swelling and incision have to be factored in. I cannot say in early days as my incision area is still picky! Love your list!
Here is a tip- a casual dress is wonderful for checkups as you can easily pull it up for X-rays or incision checks. So much easier!
 
Isn’t there some risk in keeping it on for hours?
The risk was feeling great relief and not needing pain medicine. The hospital had it on me continuously from the time I reached the room to the next day when I left. It wasn't risky at all. It's not ice directly on your skin, it's circulated cold water.
Well, the documentation that comes with the Breg Polar Cube says that it can cause skin necrosis so I don’t think the device is risk free.

I used it for an hour before bed last night and I think it helped me sleep through the night on just 100mgb of Gabapentin, no Tylenol or Advil, as I usually use.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom