THR Things Nobody Told Me Before Surgery That I Wish I Had Known

Swelling didn't come for me, might be because of the constant icing.
Constipation didn't come either, but I was given Miralax at the hospital right away and followed with it at home.
The frozen vegies for a hip replacement would be a joke, like a bandaid on a gunshot.
Panties? we don't need no panties. Shorts and commando for the first days works just fine.
Back sleeping is just back sleeping. If you think or make too much of it you'll never sleep.
I never had to lean on my walker much, it's just for stability. I put tennis balls on the back legs to make it quiet and slide easily.
Never wore support stockings, they don't sound like fun.
I didn't nap, made back sleeping easier.
LOL You guys have been holding out on us girls. My nurse told me to buy the really large size men's long undies (not long underwear, but longer than boxers) and oh my gosh they are so soft & comfy. Secret's out!! :walking:
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Lucy!
How are you doing? We'd love to hear from you and I hope we do soon.
Have a great week!
@LucyVanPelt
 
I just had my left hip replaced on 10/26/23. I am eight weeks out from that and doing well. My recovery is definitely hindered by the bad right hip. I will be having the right hip replaced in February 2024, just don't have a date yet. I think what I MOST appreciate about this forum is the fact that you say "take it easy, all your ROM and abilities will come with time." I have not walked normally for the past 5 years and my recovery is probably slow by other's standards. You guys have helped me understand I don't have to imitate anyone. I will get completely well in my own time!
 
Last edited:
@LucyVanPelt Ah, you are a hipster-sister as I took a "longer" time to recover, as well. I'm glad you are still progressing nicely. There are so many factors that go into a recovery. If I had to boil our recommendations down into a nut shell, it would be exactly "Take it easy, it just takes the time it takes and don't compare your recovery to anyone else's." I might throw in "Rest, ice and elevate" for good measure LOL. I wish you continued good healing and comfort as you wait to deal with Mr. Righty in Feb. Happy Holidays.
 
Thank you, Hip4Life - this is just what I needed to see at 3 AM tonight- I mean this morning!
 
I have not walked normally for the past 5 years and my recovery is probably slow by other's standards.
Yes, if you have not walked normally it is not all going to fall into place overnight. In fact, you might have to wait until that second THR is done to see the full benefit. But you will get there - in your own time!
 
Good point by @Jaycey I walked normally for a short time before the other hip went. Then wobbled again. But once I had #2 done, the walking came quickly. Keep up the great progress.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Lucy!
Please let us know when you get your Right hip scheduled. We'd like to support you through the healing process.
I am sorry it is hindering the progress of your left THR. Hopefully you don't have too much longer to wait.
Stay in touch!
@LucyVanPelt
 
I use the breg polar ice machine as well. It’s my best buddy for keeping the pain away and the swelling down. There are different pads for knees, shoulders, etc. I have a “universal’ one that. Is pretty pliable so I just tuck it around my hip and thigh as I sit in my chair. It has elastic straps with Velcro to hold it on but seems to stay in place if I just put a towel over the top and mash it all into place between my body and the chair arm. I use the Velcro for when I go to bed. I have it on most of the day. I bought mine used on the Internet but there are many new ones on Amazon.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom