Things are starting to move...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poppet, The surgery you had just this past week. Was I reading something from another period? I thought it was now. You had postings for each day, for about six days, and you were in intensive care.
 
BeckyR Rochester has lost Kodak which provided the skilled with good jobs. We are not growing here. Tough to do business in NY. I was going to mention Ithaca is gorges but thought you would say :what: Watkins glen is pretty too. My son lives just north of Orlando so we get there quite often. While it's pretty here the winter is too long. I like Florida too. You don't have to wait much longer!
 
Upstater, Yes, I know that Rochester and other cities in upstate NY have fallen on hard times, with the loss of some of the biggest companies. So sad. I lived in Boston for 27 years, and don't miss the winters, though it will always have a special place in my heart. Can't wait for next Wednesday. I'm really ready now! Why do you need to wear the leg brace???? Will you have it off soon?
 
:happydance: BeckyR The leg brace was a surprise when I woke up from surgery. It velcros from my ankle to thigh. Looks like a giant knee brace. Keeps my knee from bending and me breaking the 90 degree rule. My thigh muscle was damaged from waiting so long the surgeon felt I may bend my knee unintentionally in my sleep. I was told I have a high pain tolerance level and he did not see how I was walking at all. He said 4 weeks initially. When I went at 2 weeks to have staples removed he changed it to 8 weeks. He was very worried about dislocation. That would mean starting over. My bone the cup attaches to is more flat than round..... that's the issue. Second hardest surgery he ever performed. The brace is rare. He uses it on 1% of patients. July 9 it should come off. I've had enough of it. Sleeping on my back....can't walk properly....can't go swimming. But it has been worth it as the pain is gone. My knee will be stiff for a while. I want to get back to work too even if it's part time. It was just a bump in my recovery road....minor inconvenience to have a good outcome. :yay:
 
Upstater, So sorry you've had to go through such an uncomfortable surprise. At least it will be off soon, and you'll be able to do more of the things you love. I have a brace for my right leg, but it does let my knee bend. It is an "unloader" brace, because I have bone-on-bone in my lateral (outside) compartment in my knee. When I wear it, it does make it much easier to walk, and my knee doesn't hurt. It straightens out my whole leg, and the orthotist said that if I wear it regularly it will "train" my knee to turn the proper way. It all started when I fractured my foot about 6 years ago, and my whole gait changed. I think that is at the root of what ruined my hip, though I do have arthritis in both hips, knees and ankles. Everything is connected. I'm hoping that after the RTHR, a lot of the other pain will go away because it will turn out to have been "referred" pain. The brace will be good when I go back to teaching, because I'm on my feet almost all day long. Have to take it all one step at a time. It's an ugly thing -- makes me feel like a polio survivor -- but of course it isn't meant to be a fashion statement. It limits the things I can wear, and I'll have to shop for loose pants. At least they've come back into fashion! Better times ahead for both of us!
 
BeckyR I haven't had the SuperPath procedure yet.....my surgery date is August 12. I can't wait.
 
BeckyR
Very good to hear from you and thanks for taking time to reply to all of us. So much to say that it all gets stuck so I'll keep it simple and tell you that this time next week I am confident you will experience the joy that comes with no more bone-on-bone pain. Then comes that mystical/frustrating/wondrous process of healing. We'll all be here for you so don't hesitate to call on us as we will cheer you on!! As you always say, and I truly believe this, better times are ahead!
Mike
 
BeckyR I'm okay with the recovery including the brace. Since I don't know the difference this is normal recovery to me. Clothes are tough though. Just shorts. Glad it's summer. Gait? I'd bet mine was the worst ever! Shin pain, ankle pain, limping. And stiffness! Interesting though I never had hip pain. Clearly I adjusted my gait to avoid it early on. My GP put me on Meloxicam in January. I had no clue how much it was helping the pain until I went off right before surgery. Then the groin pain started. I wish I had done this sooner.
 
With all you are dealing with you have a fantastic spirit Upstater, long may it continue! :)
 
Littlejem Awww you're so nice! I can whine with the best of them though. I had my meltdowns early on. I cannot express how wonderful this forum has been! I was wondering how many phone calls to OS offices this forum has eliminated? Each time I had a question or concern I was greeted with "that's normal...it will pass." And the information was totally accurate!
 
BeckyR, I think you may have gone to page one of my post op thread.. That was the start of my recovery.. Check out my later pages.. All good :)
 
Poppet, I probably did some time-traveling, as you suspect. Glad everything turned out well!
 
Upstater, I just stopped taking my NSAIDS and it will be interesting to see if there is any difference. I've long wondered whether they were helping at all. Maybe I'll find out that they really did help! I wonder whether I'll need to take them after my hip surgery.
 
Jojool, I thought you had already had your SuperPath surgery! Anyway, I'll be able to let you know how it goes from one more patient's perspective. Less than a week to go -- I can't wait!
 
mbtokyo, Mike -- so nice of you to write. You are always so encouraging. Do you have a date yet for your wife's surgery? Is she less fearful now? I'll post as soon as I can after surgery, assuming that the hospital's wifi works with my laptop. Sometimes connections are balky.
 
BeckyR I was surprised to learn the NSAID was working. I may need them for my other hip eventually. Not a fan of the possible side effects but sometimes it's a "lesser of two evils" decision.
 
Upstater, I agree with you. I thought I'd use this time before surgery as a "test period" to see how I feel without it. I do have problems elsewhere (especially right knee) and don't know how much of that is referred pain, because there is a lot of damage from arthritis. I'm also a little nervous about long-term use of NSAIDS, but I do have them monitored regularly (blood work) and if they are making a difference, it is better than the pain, which was bad enough even with the NSAIDS! Have a great 4th of July!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom