DOUBLE TKR
junior member
@Jockette, bummer on the struggle you are having. When you say something didn't go well, what does that mean?
Have I told all you administrators who have responded to me that I love you?
You are the angels on my shoulders (both shoulders) whispering good things to me.
I saw my surgeon two weeks ago. My ROM was still stuck at 75 and he said at the end of September if it didn't improve, we'd have "the talk." I like the guy and he is very respected in his field where I live. I looked him straight in the eye and said, I will not have an MUA. And he admitted that there can be problems with it. I think it was more of an offer than an assumption, and no thanks.
Two PT visits later, and after focusing more on stretching gently at home, I got to 90. That told me tons: that I am recovering, and that recovery isn't a linear progression. And I embrace your observation that I really am in early stages of recovery, although 14 weeks later doesn't FEEL early. And some days are better than others. Both of my knees are still tight right above the knee -- I assume some quadriceps attachment thing? But tightness doesn't hurt, thankfully. It just gets in the way of walking because I have to concentrate to let my knees bend for that.
And I have a couple inches of lumpiness under the top end of my scar on one knee. I have been massaging it and it hurts like heck.
I use Tramadol now only for PT days -- six more visits -- and have found that extra-strength acetaminophen twice a day is satisfying. I don't mind PT because their point of view is that it's my recovery and I control the approach, so I look at it as my stretching time. The woman I work with has been doing this for 18 years and her concern, when my ROM was kind of stuck at 75, is that she has had clients return after stopping PT because their bend hasn't progressed. But, what I wonder is, how many clients who stopped PT "prematurely" did just fine? That's the problem with anecdotal 'evidence.'
Some days I wonder if I will ever really get to 'normal,' and other days I know I will. Sigh. No one said this would be easy. Of course -- of course! -- a woman at PT the other day with a TKR (one knee) stopped her PT a couple visits short of the prescribed time because her ROM was fabulous after less than two months! I really had to push that out of my head and not let it discourage me. And when friends/family say, "you're still icing?" And I say, it takes at least twice as long to recover from a double. So there
Thank you all for your support. I am now hoping that in a couple more months, I will be even better.
Have I told all you administrators who have responded to me that I love you?
I saw my surgeon two weeks ago. My ROM was still stuck at 75 and he said at the end of September if it didn't improve, we'd have "the talk." I like the guy and he is very respected in his field where I live. I looked him straight in the eye and said, I will not have an MUA. And he admitted that there can be problems with it. I think it was more of an offer than an assumption, and no thanks.
Two PT visits later, and after focusing more on stretching gently at home, I got to 90. That told me tons: that I am recovering, and that recovery isn't a linear progression. And I embrace your observation that I really am in early stages of recovery, although 14 weeks later doesn't FEEL early. And some days are better than others. Both of my knees are still tight right above the knee -- I assume some quadriceps attachment thing? But tightness doesn't hurt, thankfully. It just gets in the way of walking because I have to concentrate to let my knees bend for that.
And I have a couple inches of lumpiness under the top end of my scar on one knee. I have been massaging it and it hurts like heck.
I use Tramadol now only for PT days -- six more visits -- and have found that extra-strength acetaminophen twice a day is satisfying. I don't mind PT because their point of view is that it's my recovery and I control the approach, so I look at it as my stretching time. The woman I work with has been doing this for 18 years and her concern, when my ROM was kind of stuck at 75, is that she has had clients return after stopping PT because their bend hasn't progressed. But, what I wonder is, how many clients who stopped PT "prematurely" did just fine? That's the problem with anecdotal 'evidence.'
Some days I wonder if I will ever really get to 'normal,' and other days I know I will. Sigh. No one said this would be easy. Of course -- of course! -- a woman at PT the other day with a TKR (one knee) stopped her PT a couple visits short of the prescribed time because her ROM was fabulous after less than two months! I really had to push that out of my head and not let it discourage me. And when friends/family say, "you're still icing?" And I say, it takes at least twice as long to recover from a double. So there

Thank you all for your support. I am now hoping that in a couple more months, I will be even better.
United States

Your recovery probably won't take any longer than a single TKR, but only you need to know that.
I had two recoveries with my two knees, done bilaterally: right knee was a champ, one of those 0 -120 at twelve weeks knees, and left knee was a laggard that finally became completely pain-free only after nine to ten months. So... which recovery do I claim? 