Guest viewing is limited

THR The road to recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick update.
It's now just over 4 weeks since the operation and things are progressing smoothly, thank goodness. I've had a couple of physio sessions in the local hydrotherapy pool which I've been looking forward to. The sessions certainly make you work, and give you a sense of how far you've come but also how far there still is to go! Thankfully summer has finally decided to show it's face here in Melbourne (coolest January for 15 years...!) so I can use my backyard pool too. I'm able to walk using a single crutch and can get around the house without one altogether.
Pain-wise I'm now mostly using over-the-counter meds. I occasionally notice some pain-spots in the front of the groin or down the side of the thigh but am not concerned.
I'm now finding I'm at that frustrating point where I'm still limited e.g. picking up stuff off the floor, putting on socks. But the BoneSmart mantra requires patience...!
 
Time for a quick update me thinks.
Here we are 6 weeks post-op. Back to work on Monday. I've been given the all clear by the GP to drive and I've got follow-up with the surgeon next week.
Recovery-wise it's been a steady recovery. Of course I'd prefer it to have been quicker but rather slow and uneventful than fast and problematic. I'm walking around the house without a crutch or cane and am able to do my walking with just a cane. I'm mostly off pain killers except the odd night where I may feel a little sore or tight.
I can walk unassisted without much of a wobble but it takes concentration! My physio is keen to work on abduction exercises once I become de-restricted after seeing the surgeon. Hydrotherapy has been good.
I still sometimes feel quite tired and I've been grateful for the time off work so I can take nana-naps when necessary.
 
Here we are 6 weeks post-op. Back to work on Monday. My physio is keen to work on abduction exercises once I become de-restricted after seeing the surgeon. I still sometimes feel quite tired.
Personally I think 6 weeks is far too early to go back to work,
especially since you are apparently still under restrictions and still (surprise, surprise!) experiencing the Energy drain. I fear you may regret this. What kind of work do you do and how many hours? You should at least consider a Phased return to work if you can organise it.
 
I'm starting with 10-3 and will see how that goes. While physically I'm feeling not too bad it's the energy and stamina which is the concern. I work in an office so it's not the most physically demanding work, plus I have a VariDesk set-up which means I can stand up for a while, sit down for a while. I find sitting for a long period to be uncomfortable so this should be really useful.
My boss has been accommodating so far and I've been saying that I don't know how I'll go so we should play things by ear. We'll see!
 
All the best trick dick but I have to echo Jo's concerns it is early, I didn't go back until week 12 but everyone is different. I also work in an office but do get out from time to time, you may have to look at supports for your eat to help you get through a days slog. Take care.

Billy
 
I had my 6 week check-up with the OS 4 days ago and got the all clear; all restrictions lifted. Its like a switch has been flicked. Today I put on my socks and tied my laces. First time in 7 weeks. I can walk without my cane. Maybe it's just a few days of sideways abduction exercises. Maybe it's that I'm not trying to protect the hip. Maybe it's the easing of the 'not past 90°' rule. Anyway, it's still a little stiff and sore but I've taken huge steps forward in just the past 4 days!
 
I love it! Only we on Bonesmart know what a huge thing a little thing is - such as putting on a sock. May there be many more.
 
Just ticked over the 9 week mark. After frustration in the first few weeks, I'm delighted with my progress now. My hip now feels and works very close to 'normal'; it's now the other hip that's slowing me down. I've been able to clamber on rocks at the beach, ride bikes, walk on sand, mow the lawns, move 'briskly' when needed. Daily walking, clean diet and keeping up with the physio/hydrotherapy exercises have been important.
I've been able to track my recovery using the aforementioned physio questionnaire. As you can see, that's a straight line recovery! I'm so grateful that I haven't suffered any significant setbacks that I've heard others have had to deal with and I'm now looking forwards to many years of faithful service from the new joint.
Thank you all for your help during my recovery. I'm going to take a step back for a few months but expect to be back towards the end of the year in preparation for Round 2.
[Bonesmart.org] The road to recovery
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom