Bilateral TKR The journey starts now

today looks like another pain meds and sleep day, food intake is next to nothing just don't feel like eating.
 
Right now that's the best thing for you pain meds and sleep. But please try to get some nourishment in (protein shake or something). Hoping you get lots of rest today.
 
welcome to the other side.. you have already started healing, as long as your pain is well managed and you can sleep and rest everything will fall into place. Looking forward to your update. best wishes, xx
 
Pain is a bit more intense today if it keeps up might add my breakthrough pill the gave me, could be all the trips to the bathroom helping that out.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
The more active you are will cause a little more pain these first days of your surgery. But, soon the pain will diminish after those trips to the bathroom. You'll be able to add little things to your activity every week. You are on the road to healing. Take your time and rest, ice, elevate. And certainly take those meds. That's what they are for! If you hurt you won't move as much. You need to move to keep the chance of blood clots down. Good luck! We are here for you!
 
The best thing I did days after my TKR @sinclac57 was stay on schedule with my pain meds. I set my iPhone to let me know 5 minutes before time for my next dose. And as early as it is for you in your bilateral tkr recovery, I would use the breakthrough pill at the first 'hint' of pain. It's allot easier to stay on top of pain by keeping medication in your system at all times than to try and play catch-up when the pain becomes uncontrolled.

If it makes you sleepy- good! Sleep! I also agree with Paula- try to keep some nutrition in your system if only a cup of chicken or beef broth. The protein in bone broths would be so good for you right now.

So glad you are posting and letting us reach out to you with things that helped us get through those first 'tender' days of recovery. We're always here for you!

[Bonesmart.org] The journey starts now
 
My best friend right now is the ice machine but I am starting to get concerned about no bowel movement since Tuesday even though I'm taking helpers on that front.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So I only did l TKR but there's a distinct change in my overall body disposition at the end of 4 weeks where I am much less house-bound, did some intense weed wacking around my pond and just feeling better about things, so give yourself some time, binge-watch "breaking bad" , "the wire" or "downton abbey", you'll get into a routine.
Ted
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Hoping this isn't TMI, too much information, lol. When I had a time with 'going' post-op the following was recommended by my pharmacist and it worked quickly and with little discomfort. She advised I alternate Dulcolax Stool Softener and Dulcolax Laxative Tablets. Prior to her recommendation I was only taking Dulcolax Stool Softener but once I added the Dulcolax Laxative tablet I was back on track rather quickly!

And to add to Ted's list.. 'Outlander' was a GREAT recovery watch for me in those first weeks when I needed a distraction that didn't require I move much!

Hoping today is a good one for you!
 
Saturday was bad day all the the way around but everything is working as normal now and Sunday was a lot better day, I've started cutting back on pain meds as of this am. We will see how that goes.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's way too early to cut back on your pain meds. You're knees are only 5 days old. You should be taking them on the clock schedule. If you have to pay catch up you will be in a lot of pain for hours. It's not worth it. Wait a few more weeks before you try and cut down.
 
I agree with Paula, you really should wait to cut back on pain meds you are really early in this recovery.
 
Well had a visit from PT again today he seemed to be impressed with my ROM 94 degrees flextion is pretty much flat at 7 days out i have cut my pain med's in 1/2 with no ell effects (Don't like taking oxycodone).

We will just keep chugging along
 
Glad things are going well for you @sinclac57! I must say I'm quite impressed you are able to cut your pain meds after having a Bilateral only a week ago! That's amazing! Don't be shy to get back on schedule if the pain picks back up- I know in my early weeks of only one knee replacement I would think one day I was on my way out of the raw pain only to find it wake back up a few days later. At 5wks it finally let up for good!
 
Glad things are going well for you @sinclac57! I must say I'm quite impressed you are able to cut your pain meds after having a Bilateral only a week ago! That's amazing! Don't be shy to get back on schedule if the pain picks back up- I know in my early weeks of only one knee replacement I would think one day I was on my way out of the raw pain only to find it wake back up a few days later. At 5wks it finally let up for good!

Believe me if i need more i will use it and last night i did, cuz like an idiot yesterday i went groceries shopping and paid a very high price last night ended up taking a break thru pill went to bed with my ice machine, and been supper tired all day.
I need to remember I'm not a young man anymore and to scale it back.
 
Oh my goodness, it's way too early to get out and go shopping. It's been only 10 days since your replacement. I hope you are able to control your pain.
 
Yes, even with only having one knee replaced, at 10-days out I kept those pain meds in my system and going grocery shopping was definitely NOT doable for me at that time! I know it's tempting to want to get back into the routine of living life but you have been through, MAJOR SURGERY TWICE in the same day! Be kind to yourself, follow our BoneSmart mantras and, well, SAVE YOURSELF- haha!

We've just been where you are @sinclac57 and don't want you to suffer from the mistakes we made! NOT following the BoneSmart mantras.

At any rate, we're here for you and hope you will post often to let us know how things are going! In the meantime- it's OK to rest & recover!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom