Guest viewing is limited

TKR The elusive sleep!

And mine never covered my knee. Came to just below the knee.
 
I never used the compression sock, just iced and elevated.
 
By the 5th week I wasn't wearing anything for compression. But if you have one and want to give it a try to see if it helps, go for it.
 
Many still experience swelling at 5 weeks. I wore compression socks in the hospital, but once I was up and about I found them uncomfortable. You can give them a try if you want. I found elevating and icing helped my swelling.
 
^it wasn't that I didn't have swelling but I gradually stopped using compression. Though I did like the tubigrip much better than the TEDs hose.
 
I’m on my 5th week, is there any way to sleep, other than on your back leg elevated. I’m having a hard time now sleeping on my back. I have always been a side or stomach sleeper.
 
You can sleep on your right side. You don't have to keep your leg straight all the time.
Just have a pillow between your knees, to support your left knee.
You may need help getting into a comfortable position, and turning back when you've had enough of being on your side.

They turned me onto my side in hospital the day after my knee replacements, just for a change of position.
 
Hello,
Well after 2 weeks off from PT I had a drs appt and he found out my scar tissue had increased. I was stiff and my ROM was down to 40. He immediately told me he had to do an MUA. I went ahead as my knee was swollen and in a lot of pain. Bent my knee from 40 to 117 and have PT every day. I wanted to know, that if I slow down on my PT, my scar tissue will come back. My knee had been stiff and bumpy prior my MUA and now it is just stiff. The doc took a picture of my knee during surgery, showing my knee bent at 117,so he said it’s possible. I did not know it would be this hard. Why do docs say PT is crucial to recovery?
 
Most people after MUA find that it's ok to do gentle exercises--moving the knee through its range, but be a bit gentle. I'm sure some MUA folks will drop by soon. What date was your MUA? Could you add that to your signature so we remember that you had one?
 
:sleep: Help…
I am one month in after surgery. Everything seems to be going as good as it can. PT on my own terms. ROM at 100 and no real pain, off meds other than Tylenol. Why am I here? Sleep. I have been unable to get 1 decent night of sleep. I tried the bed with cushions and a Lounge Dr and to include sleep assistance with music or melatonin tablets.. No go. Guest bedroom bed. No! The recliner is as close as it gets, with sporadic light sleep. I find my knee gets uncomfortable and like it needs to be stretched out, or my back hurts. There is always a reason. Then during the day I take these long naps and mess up the rest of my day. When I had my first TKR three years ago, sleep was not an issue. Is it a summer thing, vice a winter thing? I need some ideas that have worked for you. Thanks.
 
@smarsh404,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Thanks
Chris
 
Here is your copy of the Knee Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
​
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
​

6. Access these pages on the website
​


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds


We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

 
Hi SMarsh404,

I had similar issues to you back for TKR #1 (left) in 2016... and what I learned over much time, is I don't react "properly" to the opioids they gave me; they don't help with pain and I couldn't sleep. That's when I found Bonesmart, in fact: up most nights, napping alot during the days. No fun!

Back then when I finally was taken off Oxy and put on Tramadol and Tylenol, that was the trick. I could sleep again, and the pain was far more dulled.

I wonder if it's the drugs they've given you to take? Do you have notes from last time and is it the same compound? Since I know there are some people some drugs don't work for, maybe it might be a question to ask?

The moderators here also might chime in, too, with any thoughts they have. But if it's the same as you took before, then my guess isn't very helpful, perhaps... I take some things before bed that have helped with sleep this time, and depending on where you are they might be legal, but might not... I do take a turmeric compound, that my doctor (my GP) had suggested might be useful for inflammation, but see who else might chime in with ideas, too...
 
Insomnia after TKR is just a fact of life for most of us! I am 6 and 4 months out from both TKR’S and I have only started to be able to sleep about 2 weeks ago. I spent all that time in the recliner. Tried the bed several times and just couldn’t do it. Don’t disdain the daytime naps, because at least they are giving you some needed rest! I had music and books at hand to distract me during the night. Sleep will come, but if you get too focused and stressed over it you won’t be doing yourself any good. I took magnesium supplements before bed. Not sure they helped immediately, but perhaps later on they did some good. it’s all a waiting game...
 
^so true @Sisterpat. Naps were my best friend. :wink: When you're recovering they don't keep you up at night they're just needed rest.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom