THR The Borg Assimilation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just over 10 weeks post op now. Still amazed at the difference from before my op to now. Amazing!

I hardly think about my hip now. No pain and almost no stiffness. I've been able to move into positions that I wasn't able to move into for years.

My walking is perfect now. No limping at all, which was the order of the day for me for years previously.

We're emigrating shortly, so we have been doing lots around the house. I managed a full day of labour - walking around, picking up and carrying things etc. with none of the pain and discomfort I had in the past.

Next check up is on 2 November, where I'll be cleared to get back onto my mountain bike. Can't wait to get back on the trails (albeit in another country :shocked:)!

Anyways, will update after my 3 month checkup.

Recover well, everyone!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@MetEish Great report!! So glad your recovery is going so well! Gives us in the waiting stage hope that ours will be the same. :)
 
Such a great recovery report. I hope I'll be there soon. Wishing you all the best MetEish :)
 
@Tweatybrd, we tend to get so worked up on this as it is still regarded a major surgery, but I was so surprised at how much easier it was than I thought it would be. Key is to relax, enjoy the time off work and listen to Dr orders!

Thank you @Dust! You'll get there quicker than you think!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hey everyone! Been a while since my last post.

Lots has happened, like moving country!

I'm now 5 months post surgery and am still amazed at how it's all gone. I'm at that stage now where I don't think about my hip anymore. Like it's been there since birth!

I'm back on the mountain bike now doing 30km plus most days. So nice to be back on the steed!

My next checkup is in 2 years time! My six month checkup was move up due to my immigration.

Hope all my fellow August hippies are doing well!

Till next time, heal well everyone!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Great update @MetEish ! So glad you are seeing the benefits of this fantastic surgery. Long may it continue!
 
@MetEish glad to hear your surgery went so smoothly. I'm hoping to get my THR in April, just pray it goes as smoothly. Caught a left hip infection back September, destroyed the cartlidge, finally infection free. Just have to wait a few more months to ensure no further infection. It's been pretty painful, looking forward to get back to normal. Thanks for all your positive updates. All the best!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@MetEish glad to hear your surgery went so smoothly. I'm hoping to get my THR in April, just pray it goes as smoothly. Caught a left hip infection back September, destroyed the cartlidge, finally infection free. Just have to wait a few more months to ensure no further infection. It's been pretty painful, looking forward to get back to normal. Thanks for all your positive updates. All the best!!

Ouch! Sorry to hear the hassles you've been through! You will be good as gold before long!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Great report @MetEish! Wow, some achievement on that bike. Where did you migrate to? Just curious to know if you're in the land downunder, a lot of SA people head this way! Anyway, wherever you are, hope you are happily settling in.
 
Great report @MetEish! Wow, some achievement on that bike. Where did you migrate to? Just curious to know if you're in the land downunder, a lot of SA people head this way! Anyway, wherever you are, hope you are happily settling in.

Hi! Yes, moved to Brisbane. Loving it here. Yeah, lots of South Africans moving to Oz for some obvious and some not so obvious reasons. It's a great place and we fit in quite well with everyone ;-).


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hi! Yes, moved to Brisbane.
Ah, we are close neighbours then, in Australian terms! Qld is a great place to live, you've picked a really good spot. I'm actually a little north of Brissy, my moniker gives it away ;-) Good to hear you're enjoying it.
 
Ah, we are close neighbours then, in Australian terms! Qld is a great place to live, you've picked a really good spot. I'm actually a little north of Brissy, my moniker gives it away ;-) Good to hear you're enjoying it.

That's awesome! How is your recovery coming along? Also, did you have you replacement done under Medicare or private? I've seen the AMIS doctors are all based in Gold Coast.



Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Hi again @MetEish :-) Thanks for asking. I'm about six weeks after you, looking at the dates. My initial recovery was brilliant, and no pain. Now, however, my recovery is somewhat in LIMBo due to my left 'hip in waiting' which will not allow me to exercise or walk to strengthen my new right hip. My left hip was designated for surgery on the same day as the right, but complications in surgery (needed transfusions) meant the OS in conjunction with anaesthetist decided to call it off.

I went through the public system, but due to the need to get through long waiting lists for joints, the public system is apparently 'hiring' surgeons and doctors in the private system! This is kept pretty quiet, if I'd known about it earlier I would have felt calmer as I thought I was in for a three year wait.

So, incredibly lucky, lucky me - I landed one of only two surgeons (to my knowledge) in the whole region who perform anterior. My only hope is that I get him again. But it's not guaranteed. Also, due to the public system protocol I'm given no special favours, slotted in or shoved higher up the list despite the 'abandoned' (no-one's fault) surgery and crushing need - just back on the bottom of the list again with everyone else. Bureaucracy at its best. The whole reason the OS scheduled bilateral surgery was because he said recovery would be very difficult on a remaining shattered hip. And he was right. So this is a practice in patience and many other virtues! I long to be active again, and my new hip gives me an indication of how wonderful life will be!

Sorry about the long explanation! Did you get surgery here or SA?
 
Hi again @MetEish :-) Thanks for asking. I'm about six weeks after you, looking at the dates. My initial recovery was brilliant, and no pain. Now, however, my recovery is somewhat in LIMBo due to my left 'hip in waiting' which will not allow me to exercise or walk to strengthen my new right hip. My left hip was designated for surgery on the same day as the right, but complications in surgery (needed transfusions) meant the OS in conjunction with anaesthetist decided to call it off.

I went through the public system, but due to the need to get through long waiting lists for joints, the public system is apparently 'hiring' surgeons and doctors in the private system! This is kept pretty quiet, if I'd known about it earlier I would have felt calmer as I thought I was in for a three year wait.

So, incredibly lucky, lucky me - I landed one of only two surgeons (to my knowledge) in the whole region who perform anterior. My only hope is that I get him again. But it's not guaranteed. Also, due to the public system protocol I'm given no special favours, slotted in or shoved higher up the list despite the 'abandoned' (no-one's fault) surgery and crushing need - just back on the bottom of the list again with everyone else. Bureaucracy at its best. The whole reason the OS scheduled bilateral surgery was because he said recovery would be very difficult on a remaining shattered hip. And he was right. So this is a practice in patience and many other virtues! I long to be active again, and my new hip gives me an indication of how wonderful life will be!

Sorry about the long explanation! Did you get surgery here or SA?

That's must have been so soul destroying, but safety first! You new hip will come right in it's own time.

Yes, I had mine done while still in South Africa. The doc that did it is extremely good and thorough. He was one of only 5 surgeons in South Africa that did the AMIS method using Medacta when I first started seeing him. I had medical insurance there as you want to avoid public healthcare there at all costs, so still wondering if I need to get it here.




Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Lucky you too! I also had Medacta.

The free public system here is actually very, very good - once you're in the system. Waiting times can be long, depending on procedure. People choose private if they have a need for a particular doctor, or want surgery done quickly. But if you buy insurance for the first time, there is a one year wait for surgery for pre-existing conditions. Also, you often have to pay a 'gap' between the surgeon's fee and what insurance is prepared to refund. If I'd joined up to insurance and gone private, I would have had to pay a $10,000 'gap' from my own 'hip pocket' (hah) to pay for each hip. This was not do-able. Though other OS's have lower gaps.

Private health is a bit of a minefield, and at this age, expensive to buy. I looked into it, got highly confused and just got onto the public list.

Thank you for the words of encouragement, much appreciated :-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom