THR The Borg Assimilation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 4:

Pretty much the same as day 3 in terms of stiffness, but making progress.

Have been more mobile today and changed from a high, hard chair to me late granny's comfy rocking chair (allowed by my doc) and feel so much better when watching TV.

As for the pain, I have more discomfort in my knee than my hip. I was warned about that due to the brace that's used during the op, but that's getting better now. Pain is at a 1 most of the time.

Sleeping is not a problem - I have a nap during the day and sleep a solid 8 hours at night. Plenty of pillows used to make the bed super comfy.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like you are sailing through this recovery! Ice that knee if needed. I had the same pain post both THRs. It will ease fairly quickly.
 
@MetEish
Look at you go! In one of your pre-op threads you asked about precautions and I'm curious if you were given any? I also had the anterior approach and my OS said I had zero precautions (I had to ask him five times before I believed him)! He is a very arrogant OS and is mighty proud of his work and in my opinion, this can spell trouble sometimes. I think sometimes these types of surgeons become over confident and aren't as careful as they should be. I must admit he did a great job (fingers crossed), as I had no problems with my first THR and little with my second THR. Your OS sounds great and after looking at your thread about how his "way of doing things", I think he's probably a pretty cautious guy. Because I had such a quick and easy recovery without an ounce of exercises and PT (I was sitting Indian style/cross legged and painting my toenails at about 10 days) my only advice to you (after reading member recoveries for the past 18 months) is to make sure your PT does NOT make you do ANYTHING that causes ANY pain! I can't stress this enough. My OS gave me a referral for PT, but he told me not to go unless I was still having gait problems after three months. He said until recently, he firmly believe in PT, but said new studies are showing PT may in fact not be necessary. Just thought I'd share this with you so you can avoid chronic pain issues from over aggressive PT.
Man, oh, man, I typed all the above with one Italian finger...we Italians do love using our hands as we talk! :heehee:
Take care!
CC
 
Hehehe. Lots of typing for one finger!

I was given three precautions:

1. No twisting my op leg more than 45 degrees.
2. No bending my thigh behind my back.
3. Any other movement allowed, but do not provoke pain.

There are only 5 surgeons in South Africa that do the Medacta AMIS method and he's one of them. He's been doing them since 2007 and so far has a 100% success record.

I have a lot of trust in the doc, but I am also being extra cautious as advised by him due to me having lost a considerable amount of weight beforehand, resulting in slightly softer bones.

Going out of the house for a bit tomorrow, so we'll see what happens!




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Day 7:

Went to Physio yesterday and all went well. I simply lay on a plinth while they poked and prodded gently. They also tested range of motion with no pain. Said I'm passing with flying colours.

As for the recovery, I am very impressed with the experience. This has been way easier than I thought it would be. Swelling has gone down and I only ice a couple of times a day at the moment.

As far as pain goes, I'm between a 0 and 2, but mostly a 1. Starting to reduce my pain meds and hopefully be off of them by the end of the week if the pain stays this low.

Been out of the house a couple of times and managed just fine. I do hit a point during the day when I suddenly get tired and take a 2 hour nap.

Sleeping at night is quite good. I sleep about 6 hours before needing a nature break, then sleep another 2 to 4 hours. I sleep on my back and non-op side quite comfortably.

All in all, doing way better than expected.

Have another physio session next week Tuesday. Then the following week, have a Doppler scan on my leg to check for blood clots followed by my 3 week post-op checkup at the Doc to remove dressing and stitches.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Day 15:

Can't say it enough - how impressed I've been so far with the op and recovery! Having worked myself up so much before my op, it's such a relief that it was all for little reason.

Went to physio again today and she poked and prodded a bit more than last week. Was a bit grumpy after that, but got over it shortly thereafter.

Still off of all pain meds. Only on blood thinners now.

Next week, I have my Doppler scan booked to check for blood clots, then off to another physio session, then I get this irritating dressing and stitches removed. Hopefully, I get signed off for driving also. I also move to one crutch next week, which I also can't wait for!

I've started sleeping in my op side now (my favourite position) and is so good to not have any of the pain I had before the op anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sounds like you're doing great @MetFish !
Keep up the good work - Wishing you a speedy perfect recovery! :cheers:
 
Sleeping on your op side at 15 days out - that's pretty darn great! Let us know how your followup goes.
 
Thanks guys! Will definitely update after my checkup.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey everyone! I didn't update after checkup as the site was down when I wanted to update.

24 days out:

I had my 3 week checkup and all was clear on the blood clot side. I still need to keep taking Pradaxa until it's finished. The dressing was removed and wound cleaned. I was amazed to see my doc used dissolving stitches, so nothing to be removed. Wound had a couple of small raw patches, so another dressing was put on to keep it clean for another week.

Physio session went well. I didn't really do much of the physio exercises beforehand, taking @Josephine advice to heart. I have been given 8 new exercises to do, which I've decided to do as I need physio sign-off as part of my 6 week check-up. I do feel the difference daily, so these exercises are working well for me. Physio has cleared me for stationary cycling, so I will start cycling on a Watt Bike again next week starting with 10 minute sessions on zero resistance working back to 60 minute sessions on hard resistance over the next few months. I can look at getting back on the mountain bike after that. No more technical trails, though, purely out of my fear of falling off my bike onto rocks. The ground hurts as it is without a THR ;-)

I am now on one crutch for short distances, but to keep using two if I walk long distance. Crutches are dropped after 6 week check-up.

I was cleared to drive, but advised against it for another two weeks in case I need to brake in an emergency. This would put me at risk of an accident, so I've decided to listen to this instruction ;-). Thank goodness for Uber!

As far as pain is concerned, I have zero pain. All pre-op pain was gone pretty much immediately after surgery and post-op pain is all gone. I do still have some tenderness on the side of my thigh, but that has subsided to almost nothing.

Mobility and stiffness now is better than pre-op. I'm able to put my right sock and shoe on myself now, which is a bonus.

Overall, doing great with this recovery stuff!

Till next time!
 
Another great update @MetEish . Good to hear you are following all your instructions including not rushing to drive. Safety issues are real and there is also the issue of insurance coverage if you didn't obey restrictions. Only a few days more and you will be on your way.
 
@Jaycey, for sure. Especially in South Africa. Our roads have their own unique challenges ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
[Bonesmart.org] The Borg Assimilation!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thought I'd post my X-ray that was taken while I was waking up from anaesthesia.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
1 month:

Started driving yesterday. As if nothing happened! No problems at all.

Took the last dressing off also. Posted in the hippie scars forum - have a look.

Only using one crutch full time now - mostly for balance and security as I'm putting 50-50 on both legs most of the time.

All in all, feeling great. Haven't had any issues so far.

Next physio session next week, then 6 week checkup the following week.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi all. It's been almost 8 weeks post op now. I can say that I'm so happy I went through with this.

I forget that I've had a replacement from time to time now.

I've been driving for 3 weeks now with no issues.

Been in the office full time for 4 weeks, but luckily I have a desk job to make things easier.

I've just been able to sit on the floor Indian style, which I haven't been able to do for 5 years. I felt like a proud 6 year old!

I even ran from the car to the house when I forgot something. I stopped half way as I remembered I actually had a replacement and walked from then on.

My doctor is happy with my progress. In his own words, my hip is not mine yet - it's still his. No being silly until 3 months!

I've started riding the stationary bike now and do 1 hour in low resistance on the Watt Bike with no hassles.

So much easier than I thought this would be!

Till next time, recover well friends!



Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@MetEish Glad to hear things are so great!! Thanks for the update. Keeps those of us still waiting for surgery able to stay positive that this is the right path. :)
 
Great update @MetEish !
My doctor is happy with my progress. In his own words, my hip is not mine yet - it's still his. No being silly until 3 months!
Very good advice! Easy does it for just a bit longer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom