TKR Thank God I am now home.

Doing a little better. The prednisone has helped a lot and I am able to do the exercises and the CPM twice a day. Only for an hour a time. Still painful but not out of control and I can tell the pain pills help. Hoping for a good visit with the Doctor Monday and continued improvement. Boy - this is painful.
 
Are you not going to answer my questions I left earlier? :boohoo:
 
Josephine, I am so sorry I missed your questions earlier. I was reading the links you sent and so much was happening so fast. Thank you for responding to my posts.

I have been taking two hydrocodone 10mg every 4 hours with a Tramadol 50mg every 6 hrs. I am now only take the hydrocodone 1 hr before I get on the CPM twice per day and only taking the Tramadol 1 at bedtime and usually 1 about 6:00 am. I'm making it fine on this schedule since taking the prednisone (40 mg per day).

I have cut down on my leg raises as you suggested also.

I ice my knee after every exercise and CPM session and if it hurts. I keep it on for at least 30 minutes.

I pretty much keep my knee elevated all the time if I am sitting or lying.

Today I set my CPM on 85 and did fine. I haven't been measured by the Therapist since last Wednesday and it was 74 at that time. I go to the Doctor tomorrow and he is going to measure me then.

I haven't been doing any housework yet. I am now able to get in and out of the bath by myself and dress my self. Pretty much can handle all that. My husband has been wonderful about preparing meals and cleaning up. I'm very lucky.

All they have me doing so far is curling my feet (15 times), leg raises (5 times), bending my knee (15 times), standing on my tip toes (15 times), bending knees while standing (15 times), side leg raises (15 times). I try to do these at least twice per day. My Doctor may put me back with the therapist tomorrow if he thinks I'm doing well enough now. I think I am. Much, much better.

Thanks again and how do you think I am doing?
 
My Doctor visit went well yesterday. They were pleased with my bend which they estimated to be about 93. However, I need to concentrate on getting my leg straighter next week. I'm not to walk except getting to and from the bedroom and den to the bathroom. No walking for exercise as my body is still not responding well to overstimulation. Still on prednisone which is helping to control the pain from exercise by settling down the inflammation more like normal. Still doing PT on my own as I can tolerate which is working well for me so far. I was able to set my CPM on 90 degrees today for 1 hr and 35 mins. Hope everyone else is doing well.
 
@B0etijlc - I'm so sorry to hear you're in so much pain, I certainly hope you find some relief very soon. I wonder if maybe icing more often would help a little? I actually like icing my knees down, though I'm not looking forward to it after surgery since I'm so cold-natured to begin with, I'm sure I'll be wrapped up like I'm traveling to the Arctic!
 
Hi there Allthejays. I'm doing ok. Yesterday was a really bad day and I was surprised at it. I had the CPM machine up to 110 on Sunday for the first time then I went to the Doctor yesterday and had to walk quite a bit. I think it all caught up with me. The Doctor was pleased with my progress but still isn't putting me back in therapy - just having me continue with the CPM on my own for 3 more weeks. It's working so - I'm sticking with it.

Everyone tells the truth - this is a long recovery. Very painful and I will be happy to have it behind me. How are you doing? I hope all is well and you are speeding along the path to full recovery.
 
Sounds like you are doing well. Best wishes to you and your buddy :ice: :)
 
I also have autoimmune issues---and I think your doc is very wise to allow you to take things slowly. I think he is giving you good advice. The rom will come, don't worry about that.
 
Josephine, I am so sorry I missed your questions earlier.
Oh B0etijlc (am I supposed to be able to pronounce that? :snork:) please don't quote posts and then leave them in a post all on their own. They look ..... orphaned! :boohoo: :heehee:
I have been taking two hydrocodone 10mg every 4 hours with a Tramadol 50mg every 6 hrs. I am now only take the hydrocodone 1 hr before I get on the CPM twice per day and only taking the Tramadol 1 at bedtime and usually 1 about 6:00 am. I'm making it fine on this schedule since taking the prednisone (40 mg per day).
Okay - jolly good. I always say go with what works! However, you could add to that schedule some Tylenol - 1,000mg 3-4 times a day.
I ice my knee after every exercise and CPM session and if it hurts. I keep it on for at least 30 minutes.
You accomplish little or nothing in 30 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
I haven't been doing any housework yet.
Jolly good!
I am now able to get in and out of the bath by myself and dress my self.
Hey, that's fantastic!
My husband has been wonderful about preparing meals and cleaning up. I'm very lucky.
He sounds like a keeper! You lucky girl!

All they have me doing so far is curling my feet (15 times), leg raises (5 times), bending my knee (15 times), standing on my tip toes (15 times), bending knees while standing (15 times), side leg raises (15 times). I try to do these at least twice per day.

They were pleased with my bend which they estimated to be about 93.
 
Finally have the CPM on 115. Seems like the pain is lessening a little. I wake up a couple of times a night and by morning feel pretty stiff, swollen and painful. Guess all is progressing well. It will be 4 weeks Monday. So happy to have this time behind me.
 
Are you taking pain meds during the night? Very often when people say they are waking up "stiff, swollen and painful", I find they've taken their last dose before retiring and nothing at all during the night. You MUST take your meds on a regular schedule to avoid this. Set your alarm if you must, but don't miss doses.

This was my medication schedule
[Bonesmart.org] Thank God I am now home.
 
Finally was able to use my cane today instead of the walker. I think it was mostly in my head that I wouldn't be able to do it. After practicing a little yesterday and proving to myself that my legs do move - I did great today. I even went with my hubby to our local Mexican restaurant and had the best shrimp fajitas. It is tiring and I'm exhausted but I did it.

I also am using my CPM machine on 120 twice a day and it is actually feeling soothing. I found out the CPM I have will not go any higher than 120 so guess I'm doing good with that.

My pain level is definitely going down some but I still need the pain pills. Now, if I could sleep the whole night without waking up 2 or 3 times and if I could get my energy up. I'm eating like nobody's business but still very weak. Guess this all takes time and I am too impatient. I can't wait to get out and go places and be able to walk without pain.

Hope everyone else is doing well also.
 
Day 35. Feeling better. Slept through the night - yea. Reread the material Josephine sent. It helps to keep reading that material to remind myself of what is happening to me and how I should feel. As impatient as I am, I am on track. I keep thinking I should be further along but I am making progress so I need to just be happy with that.
 
Let me tell you a story - back in the days when I was an innocent young nurse, patients having major surgery were kept in bed until their stitches were removed at 14 days! Then they had about 3 days of just sitting in an arm chair beside their beds. Only then were they allowed to start mobilising around the ward. Mostly they weren't sent home until around 3-4 weeks post-op! How do you think you would have coped with that? 4 weeks on hospital food - yuk! Be grateful for small mercies, I say!

For my next knee, I expect to be sent home the day after surgery or perhaps the next day - my surgeon is concerned about me being on my own - but if I have anything to do with it, it will be day one! Muchoo patience will be required then!
 
Hi Josephine, I would never have made it 4 weeks in hospital. Thank goodness the medical field has improved. Here are photos of my knee progress. It sure seems that I had a lot of bruising. After 5 weeks I am still black and blue and yellow.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Thank God I am now home.
    Comparison Photos.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 136
Hi @BOetijlc
Your knee looks great!! Sounds like you are getting better. This recovery Is long and sometimes hard. And you are doing great. Keep using your CPM machine. It's working for you!!
Dana


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello @BOetijlc

I am a bit late into your thread, but you are doing the right things - if you follow Jo's wisdom and the support of the Board!! Careful with over doing the PT or just the out and about stuff. You'll feel better around 8 weeks. Until then, it feels like two steps forward, one step back. . .except when it feels like you're barely staying even!!
Be sure you ICE ICE ICE!! It was the one thing that helped me so much, and set your alarms to take your meds!! Even in the middle of the night! I also couldn't sleep except in two - three hour bursts. That made taking my meds easier and helped so much keeping the pain under control..
Get some gel packs- blue ones like you use in lunch boxes - and keep rotating them. Wrap your knee with a couple (don't forget to ice the back of your knee, too) and ice until they thaw and warm up. Take a little break, then start again with the next set. While you are healing, the knee will be pretty warm and you can "burn" through ice packs fast!! Have extra packs in the freezer so you always have a cold/frozen set!! And ice all day long, and into the night, if you can manage. It really helps the pain!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom