Guest viewing is limited

Terrified

I didn’t want anyone lifting my leg, I was afraid they’d drop it. A friend bought me a leg lifter at the hospital gift shop and I used it anytime I got up or down because my leg was elevated constantly. As others said above you can use a towel, blanket, or a dog leash (a leg lifter looks a lot like a leash).
 
Forgot to mention that I developed peripheral neuropathy (numbness) in my leg from knee to ankle shortly before meniscus surgery a year before the tkr. That may have had something to do with why it felt dead for a couple of days afterwards. My husband usually lifted my leg too during the day but I hated waking him up at night when getting up to visit the bathroom every two hours. Someone in the house needed to get some sleep. :)
 
One of the things which is interesting here is how different the different countries handle tkr's. You're going to the hospital tomorrow MollyMax for surgery on Wednesday? What do you do tomorrow? Blood tests, that kind of thing? My experience has been to go to the hospital the day of surgery, one day in hospital and then home as long as everything is going well & p.t. signs off on it.
 
Baggy shorts sound perfect.
 
I practising with a long soft scarf which seemed to work OK. Might be different after the operation.
Laurenkate they are taking me in at 3pm tomorrow only because I am so terrified. They thought that they could have a chat with me and get me first on the list on Wednesday morning. They hope they can calm me down before it. They said I would be in 3 to 5 days.
 
Wow, MollyMax, you must have amazing insurance. If I wanted to go into the hospital the night before, some 19 year old ding a ling at the insurance company would snort, laugh hysterically and deny that request! We had to go to the hospital at 5 a.m. and sit in a freezing cold room for 3 hours before I was called back for surgery prep. Another hour in the waiting room and no spinal or sedation would have been needed because I would have been frozen solid....and cold doesn't usually bother me.
This might not be helpful but sometimes the things which scare and terrify me the most turn out to be much better than my over active imagination thought it would be. Hope this is the same for you tomorrow, Wednesday and into your recovery.
 
Laurenkate I live in Scotland. We have the National Health Service. We don't pay for hospital treatment unless we go privately. It must be awful having to make sure insurance covers you. In Scotland we don't even pay for medication. I guess we are lucky.
I am kinda hoping it's not gong to be as bad as I think but having been in hospital 7 times and on a antibiotic Drip for 2 weeks each time I still can't get over my fear of needles and pain.
 
I will be thinking of you tomorrow and for your surgery on the 27th! :wave:
 
Molly, you may want to start your post-op thread before going into hospital, that way it’ll be right there and we can hear how you’re doing.
 
Laurenkate I live in Scotland. We have the National Health Service. We don't pay for hospital treatment unless we go privately. It must be awful having to make sure insurance covers you. In Scotland we don't even pay for medication. I guess we are lucky.
I am kinda hoping it's not gong to be as bad as I think but having been in hospital 7 times and on a antibiotic Drip for 2 weeks each time I still can't get over my fear of needles and pain.
Oh that's right! Yes, dealing with insurance companies can be a real nightmare and it's getting worse. At least you don't have that worry...it's extremely stressful dealing with all of it and half the time, none of it makes sense. Good luck tomorrow.
 
When I took cellulitis on holiday in Turkey dealing with the insurance company was a nightmare. I was so worried they weren't going to pay out and the hospital wouldn't let me out until they were sure they were going to get their money. I would hate to have to do that every time I was ill.
Thank you. I will keep you posted as to how it is going.
 
Thanks folks. I will start that tomorrow KarriB before I head in. I have to be there by 3pm. I have to phone the ward at 11am to check there is a bed for me. Pat off me still hopes they will tell me its cancelled. Nerves are kicking in big time and I feel a bit sick.
 
Best wishes for tomorrow and the next day. I'll be thinking of you.
 
Thank you everyone It's 3am here in Scotland and I have been sitting up reading as I can't sleep. Too nervous /petrified. Guess I should try get some sleep as I know tomorrow night I definately won't sleep for fear.
 
Still at home. Leave for hospital in 3hrs. Feeling very very sick. Was seriously hoping it was going to be cancelled.
 
Thanks everyone. Now in hospital. First blood test taken and I survived it. That was the easy part. The nurses all seem very nice and realise my terror.
Should I transfer over to the recovery thread or wait till after the operation tomorrow?
 
You can start a recovery thread now if you wish. :) You can also wait to start one tomorrow after surgery. Whichever seems best to you!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom