Guest viewing is limited

Terrified

If you have laptop or tablet, you can use them to watch things. I loaded my tablet with stuff to watch in the hospital in case I can't have my laptop (which also has a lot of stuff loaded on to it) in the first few days (due to some issues I have I'll need to be in the ICU for a few days before going to a regular room). I can also stream Amazon, Directv, etc. I do have a TV in my bedroom, and will have lots to watch as I've been loading up the DVR with fun stuff to watch. (I'll have to watch everything over and over as I usually fall asleep during the shows.....lol) Maybe you could use a cane, if your doctor okays it, just to get to the side of your bed.
 
I do tend to watch a lot on my tablet when hubby is watching other stuff so yes that is an option. I plan to take it into hospital with me but it depends whether I can sneakily plug it in to charge as we are not allowed to use the charger but I will give it a go. Will you be in hospital longer than normal them if spending time in ICU? I hope everything will be ok with you.
 
Luckily our hospital allows us to plug in our chargers. I'll be in for an unknown amount of time. It all depends on how I'm doing with the alternate pain relief regimen my OS has planned. I go in tomorrow just before lunch time, so it's almost here.:yikes:
 
plan to take it into hospital with me but it depends whether I can sneakily plug it in to charge as we are not allowed to use the charger but I will give it a go.

What about using a Power Bank? You charge that, and then use it to charge your phone, ipad, tablet, laptop. It would never be plugged into the hospital electrical outlets! I'll assume they are available over there..
 
In the hospital I had a private room. I am not a TV watcher and the best part of my stay was that the TV was off. It was on when they wheeled me into the room and right away I asked them to turn it off. I figured it was my surgery, my room, my TV and I wanted it off.

It was awesome! Lovely quiet.

At home the TV is on way too much for my liking, so this was awesome!
 
I have several power banks as have to been used on many an event to keep my t phone /GPS going so this weekend I must make sure they are all charged up so I have my phone and tablet charged while in.
Jockkette I used to be like that when the children were growing up - 'get that TV off' was what you would constantly here me saying. After all there is only so much kids tv you can put up with :rotfl:. Lovetocookandsew good luck today. Thinking about you.
 
Another thing to consider is a nice ottoman. Mr. Shoes and I love to sit together on our sofa but I couldn't do so with my legs down, of course. My sister in law had an old ottoman in her basement and gave that to the cause. It is the exact height as the sofa, so adding a couple of pillows atop it made it good for elevating. I still use the ottoman (without the pillows) for resting even though my knees no longer care what I do. :)

I did buy a recliner and used it when downstairs, which was a lot. My bed was a lovely nest. So was the recliner. I used it constantly for about four months. Now I hardly ever use it. It is a nice comfy seat for visitors.

Ask yourself what will work best for you. If you want a recliner down the road anyway (for example, are you getting your other knee done? Foresee other surgical recuperations for family members?) then you might want to get one. But if you really don't want one for any other reason, and can make the sofa work for you, there's no need to spend the money.
 
Evening from the UK. The last few days I have been in serious pain but not from the knee getting operation next week but from other knee. It's been really bad but the worse bit is the cramp like pain in front and back thigh and all the way down my calf and shin. I don't know where this pain is coming from. It was so bad last night I literally only got 2hrs sleep so am a bit of a zombie right now. Painkillers aren't touching this pain. Right now I really want to get a cup of tea but it's so painful I dread getting up. Blooming Heck if this keeps up with my other knee being done on Wednesday I am going to be in a sorry state. I presume this pain is coming from the arthritic knee and not something else.
Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
 
I have been so busy over the last week that I had calmed down a lot especially with all the good advice from you all. However now getting things ready for going in on Tuesday the nerves have kicked back in. I thought I was coping OK but today tells me otherwise.
 
So, you're 3 days away and the nerves have kicked in? Sounds about right. I bet most everyone on this site has a case of the nerves so close to surgery! Of any kind. You're doing great.....look at all the good info you now have. I truly wish I was 3 days out instead of 3 months LOL. You're going to do great and will have a successful recovery. Think of all the good wishes coming to you from the US and other countries. Can't wait to read your post op thread!
 
Spent the afternoon going over all the information I received before my last tkr - and it's amazing what I'd forgotten. I did have the spinal with sedation and it was fine - out like a light; didn't have a clue what was going on until I woke up in the recovery room.

You also mentioned so much pain in your other leg; hopefully that's better today but it's surprising how much stress and pain the "bad" knee and leg can create for other parts of the body - especially the "good" knee. It's very possible that will get better too once your have your tkr.

Nerves are very normal; won't you be glad when it's over?
 
We'll be here, to hold your virtual hand through this, Molly. :friends:
 
That you beachy, Celle and laurenkate. I have spent time tonight reading again about icing and elevation. Bags of frozen peas need to be bought.. . Have looked at gel packs on Amazon so may order a couple of those. Need to try out the stacking pillows to see if that will work. Trying to pack a bag for hospital. Discovered all my trousers are slim fit so going out to buy a couple of lose fitting trousers tomorrow but have put in some baggy shorts as thought they might be easier to wear. Hospital said they prefer you to get up and dress rather than sit in pj's as you aren't ill. Operation is Wednesday so hopefully out Sunday or is that too soon?
Today's dog walk was easier. 'Good' leg didn't hurt so much but there is definate deterioration in that knee.
Thank you for the virtual hand holding. I will need it. Starting to stress. Hubby not helping by telling me this is the worst thing I will ever have had done and then says I hope the hospital knows about your cellulitis. How to instill confidence and de-stress me.... Husbands honestly.
 
Yes - baggy and comfortable is the way to go. I went through my clothes today and just put away my "slim leg" ones because I won't be wearing them for quite some time.

My first tkr operation was Friday about noon and I went home Sunday about 2 p.m. The stacking pillows worked great for me but we had to keep looking at the picture on Bonesmart to make sure we were stacking them properly. Both of us developed a bad case of (what we call) "the stupids" after the surgery. :heehee:
 
Trying to keep busy today to keep nerves at bay. Didn't sleep well last night. Out to buy what things I need for hospital today then I am going to sit out in the sun this afternoon and read my book.

Laurenkate I have taken a screen shot of the stacking pillows so I can keep showing my husband how to do it for me. One question - how do you get your leg up on to it? Sounds silly but if you are in pain how do you lift it?
 
Hubby not helping by telling me this is the worst thing I will ever have had done

Sorry your husband isn't more of a ray of sunshine. Chances are you will soon show him your new knee is one of the best things you ever did. :SUNsmile:

You may be able to swing your leg right up onto those pillows all by yourself! Some people can do that right after surgery and you may be one of them. You won't know until you try. If you do need help lifting your leg, consider the following options:
  • Another person. Hubby would do nicely.
  • A dog leash, belt, or other strap you have around the house.
  • A purchased leg lifter. They can be had from medical supply stores or Amazon.
You sound like you're already quite well prepared!
 
My leg was felt like a dead tree trunk for a couple of days after I got home from the hospital. It didn't hurt, it just wouldn't move on it's own. I had a leg lifter but used two other things - a very, very soft, old line (or rope) from my husband's boat and/or a very old, thin soft blanket which I just threw under my foot to lift it. After a few days, it moved on it's own. They may do things differently in Scotland but if a patient is back in the hospital room before 3 p.m. on the day of surgery, physical therapists show up, get that patient out of bed and walking as far as possible. The next day, I was walking up a short flight of steps and walking the entire floor of the surgical suite which was uncomfortable but not painful.
 
My husband gently lifted my leg to wherever it needed to be as long as needed. :roseshwr:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom