THR Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, what a blessing Daughter to read a little positive news about your Dad. I know there has certainly been a World Wide Circle of Prayers being said for not only your Dad, but your whole family.

Take care and update when you can, and I do hope this is the beginning of a very positive recovery for your Dad. xxx
 
Hi Daughter, i haven't posted before but I have been checking in on your thread to see how your Dad was and he has been in my prayers.x.

I am so happy to read that he is showing improvement, I can imagine how ecstatic you all were when he was chatting to you all. Hoping the improvement continues with speed now and the all your Dad will have to concentrate on is getting that hip better.

You are a daughter to be proud of which I'm sure your Dad already knows.

Take care

Ann
 
SO glad to hear of Dad's improvement! Still, be on top of his case, PLEASE! If it wasn't for the horrid conditions at the other place, he would not be in this state he is in!
I don't want to sound sue-happy, but once a friend's mom fell while in a nursing home. She was fine, had no ill effects from the fall. My friend's lawyer made a call and wrote a letter. The mom had a thorough workup to make sure she had no injuries from the fall, AND there was a $30K check sent to 'settle' the case. Don't recall much more than that, but that kind of legal action gets the attention of administration and gets everyone under the microscope. That rehab place definitely needs some inspection! I hope your brother pursues it.
Again, glad your dad is doing well, and I hope it continues.
 
Hello Daughter,
I, too, have been following your Dad's story and I am absolutely horrified at the terrible treatment he has received. I was so happy to read in your last post that he is doing better and that must be a huge encouragement for you and your family. I'm thinking of you all.
Caroline
 
And what a beautiful daughter your mom and dad have; I'm sure they are proud of your strength throughout this ordeal!

As another follower of your story, I'm saying my prayers that your father will continue to improve.
 
Elisea, Isn't Daughter amazing, i,too have been following this situation closely, afterall how can you not with such an inspirational story filled with strength and courage, i truly hope from the bottom of my heart that your dad recovers without anymore problems, he's been through to much already,you're an angel- Daughter please keep us posted, i look forward to the great news you have about your dad " the fighter"
 
Thank you for all of your replies. The support from this forum is helping us to make it through this extremely difficult time. Dad was still pretty clear-headed for most of yesterday, but he's not doing that well. I think I mentioned that he has pleural effusion. He now also has heart failure. On a positive note, he is no longer gurgling. His breathing is much better and less labored.

He tried to transition from the bed to the bedside commode twice yesterday. Even with the assistance of two CNAs, it took a lot out of him. Something happened each time after the exertion: he would become very weak, nonresponsive, with a blank stare. This lasted a minute or two. Afterwards, he was very confused. This was happening in the rehab center after exertion, too. I don't know what is causing it. Nonetheless, it is amazing that he was able to make the transition twice because he hadn't been out of bed in 3 days. Also, he sat in the recliner for 30 minutes.

Towards the end of the evening, he started getting confused. This was discouraging, but he's still tons better than he had been. In the previous two days, he had been confused 90% of the time; yesterday, he was confused only 10% of the time.

Today, he is supposed to get a four-hour stress test. Just the thought of four hours of testing sounds stressful! I will accompany him. All three of my brothers are now here in town, so he has a lot of support and love. Thank you for all of your prayers.
 
p.s. They took out the staples from his incision yesterday. Despite falling twice, his wound has healed beautifully and his new hip is intact. Those things are strong!
 
Your Father is such a fighter.. and we are all praying for him.

So pleased the rest of your siblings are there now, must be good support for your Mum as well, she must be quite exhausted herself.

Is the stress test because of his heart condition?

I am confused as to why they would be putting him through that.

I am pleased that the confusion seems to be altering a little and that the antibiotics seem to be getting on top of his chest infection.

Also great that the staples are out...

Take care, you are certainly in our thoughts and thank you for taking the time out to keep us updated. :)
 
Yes, Daughter, I'm delighted that you've got your father in a safe place and that he is improving, albeit he still has a way to go. You continue to be in my prayers too. Like Sandy, I'm wondering why the poor man has to be put through a 4 hour stress test. I hope the experience is less daunting than it sounds, and that there is a good reason for doing it right now.

Thank you for keeping us informed. You are a wonderful daughter and a tower of strength, I am sure, to your father. I hope your lawyer brother is pursuing the case against that rehab facility to get redress for all the wrongs that have been done.
 
The prayers that people have been sending up for my dad have been helping. He is still having a lot of problems, but he is doing better. Thank you, everyone. The four-hour stress test was a chemical, rather than physical, stress test. They wheeled him into a big machine, took pictures of his chest at rest for 20 minutes, injected him with a chemical that stressed his heart, and then took more pictures. I myself was a huge ball of stress during the procedure, but he seemed fairly calm.

He still is not able to stand up or even sit fully upright. This is very frustrating to him, obviously. It's not that he can't bear weight on his leg, it's that he is having a lot of low blood pressure issues (for example, 73/43 is a typical blood pressure for him these days). I suspect that this is due to a combination of too many blood pressure medications and too much Lasix.

His electrolytes are still out of whack, particularly magnesium, but he is slowly progressing. He is now clear-headed almost all of the time.

Thank you all for the tremendous support.
 
Dear daughter,

Continuing to pray...after my surgeries my magnesium levels were low, they gave me supplements and one time an IV drip of magnesium, are they doing something like this for your dad? Please hang in there, know we are here for you, your family is so lucky to have you, you are a very special person.
 
Thank you so much, Diane. Yes, he is getting magnesium supplementation, but until recently he was getting huge doses of Lasix so maybe that's why it wasn't working very well.
 
Hi Daughter

So pleased the stress test is over and thrilled that your Father seems to be improving a little each day... He certainly is in a circle of prayer right around the world :).
 
God is good. After two months in the hospital and rehab, Dad came home. He is back to square-dancing and round-dancing with my mother once a week. They play bridge (very competitively!) once a week. They are planning a drive up to North Carolina from Florida in a couple weeks; Dad will be doing most of the driving. They do mall-walking and Dad works out in the gym. A few days ago, he played 3 games of doubles tennis! I never thought I would see the day! The hip is in great condition despite everything it has been through (e.g., two falls the week after surgery, no hip precautions observed in the weeks following surgery due to delirium and illness, etc.). Thank you all for the tremendous support you gave me during those terrible weeks. I will always be grateful.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine
What a great update about your dad! [Bonesmart.org] Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine Dancing ,
[Bonesmart.org] Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine
playing cards,
[Bonesmart.org] Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine
mall walking, and
[Bonesmart.org] Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine
tennis! This is just wonderful! And next on the agenda a long drive
[Bonesmart.org] Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine
to NC.



I know your happiness is unbounded. We're so proud and pleased we could have been a part of your family's dealing with what started as a pretty bad situation. Take care, we care.
[Bonesmart.org] Terrible reaction to anesthesia and/or morphine
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom