Guest viewing is limited

TKR Ten Weeks Out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But this pain? It will get better and go away. It's finite, where the constant bone-on-bone scraping
Bingo! YES!!!

You are absolutely correct---this type of pain will indeed end. I had the down moments, too---I would stand by my front living room window and watch the world go by---and I was on pain meds and moving ever so slowly.

Recovery did indeed take longer than I would have liked it to---(don't they all!) but is was certainly worth it!
 
Two months. And today is my last day of PT. My therapist has said I'm well ahead of the curve, and he can't do anything more for me than I'm already doing for myself. My flex (on Monday) was at 118, and my extension had made it to -5. (We also checked the other knee, which is sitting at -3, so chances are good my knee was never completely straight to begin with. Considering how many years I've been babying it, I'd be surprised if it was.)

It's weird. I feel as if I'll never be 'use' to having the knee, like I'll always be 'aware' that I had something done to that leg. It doesn't hurt, exactly (though it tends to ache at the end of the day), but I'm constantly conscious of it. I'm wondering how long that will take to pass.

I also feel like, after today, I'm going to be flying without the constant medical net that's been there the last two months. It's kind of scary. I'll be fine, know it, and the Dr is just a phone call away, but it's scary all the same.

And I can't believe I'm seriously considering doing this all over again for the other knee next year!
 
It's weird. I feel as if I'll never be 'use' to having the knee, like I'll always be 'aware' that I had something done to that leg. It doesn't hurt, exactly (though it tends to ache at the end of the day), but I'm constantly conscious of it. I'm wondering how long that will take to pass.
It will take a little bit of time, but soon, you will probably forget about your new knee for days at a time. You have been focused on it for so long---prior to the surgery, the surgery, and the recovery and PT---and now it is time to get along with life. In time, your new knee will become a part of you and it will not be a big deal anymore---no more focusing on it.

I also feel like, after today, I'm going to be flying without the constant medical net that's been there the last two months. It's kind of scary. I'll be fine, know it, and the Dr is just a phone call away, but it's scary all the same.
Again---you have been connected to the OS prior to the surgery---probably had those shots, and such, then the scheduling for surgery, then surgery and recovery/PT---but here is the key---

This is what it is all about---you had your TKR to regain normalcy in your life---and now---you are normal!

That fear that yo feel is normal---but soon, you will be enjoying your new knee---and after you get the next one, and are fully recovered, you will have fully reclaimed the life that arthritis stole from you.
 
I have my ten week follow-up with my OS today, and got my written permission to go back to work. I'll be on-call for next week (which is fine by me, I'm OK with NOT working Black Friday!), and then on the schedule for the following week. At the suggestion of my supervisor, I had put in the letter that I have a stool to sit on available if I need it (as I'll be on registers, not an bad idea), and I had him put on that I be allowed to wear sneakers (which I should have had done sooner!) He gave me a month to ease into it, and then I can work without restriction after January 1st.

My ROM wasn't as high as it had been when I left (got kicked out of) PT two weeks ago, but it was also early and -very- cold. My knee was letting me know it was unhappy with me anyway, then he wanted it to bend? As if. He did say it was well within acceptable range, and if I was happy with it, he was OK as well.

It's weird, that ten weeks passe as quickly as they did, though I did spend a lot of time sleeping for the first four of them. I feel like I had the time and should have knit two sweaters and read a dozen books, but the medication totally killed my ability to concentrate.

As for The Knee? As he said when he walked into the exam room: "You're smiling." And I am. It's not perfect yet, no. I'm still hyper aware of it, it makes noise and I can feel it 'slide' as I walk. I spent the morning running around, and it's a bit swollen and unhappy with me... But It Doesn't Hurt. The bone-on-bone pain is gone. And it's very liberating knowing I will never have to deal with that again.

Now if I could get the other knee done...
 
Doesn't it feel great to get rid of the old pain? :yes!:Congratulations on your good checkup.
 
And back to work this coming Monday.

And I'm not sure how I feel.

Yesterday turned out to be surprisingly challenging. I drove, with my family, out to the in-laws to pass the turkey and pie, and it turned out to be an incredibly uncomfortable experience. I ended up eating my dessert standing up, as my knee just wasn't happy with being bent anymore. I went and hid around a corner of the kitchen, watching a woodpecker at a bird feeder, for a little while as I had a bit of a meltdown. It was just so damn frustrating! And I know it's been just under 12 weeks and I'm still dealing with a trauma to my leg, but Grrrrrrrr! (I'm also finding that what was already a weather-predicting knee has become significantly more cranky to cold/moist weather. And it was icky yesterday.)

Add into that the fact that I'm suddenly starting to have restless legs. I start falling asleep, and they just become a prickly, twitchy mess, both of them, and wake me up constantly. I think last night was the earliest I've been to sleep this week (2 am), and that was because I didn't even try falling asleep any earlier. I did end up taking half of an Oxycodone, and wrapping the ice pack around my knee. I don't know if it was either or both of them that helped, but I haven't taken the drug in a while, and I'd rather not feel like I "need" to again; but the Tylenol I had taken didn't seem to be doing any good. I'm really not looking forward to going back to work and being exhausted while I'm there!

Whine, whine, whine... Yes, I would like some cheese to go with it, please!

Sorry, I feel like I come here just to vent, but this is the only place where I know people 'get it'. Thanks for reading. :-)
 
I'm sorry you had a bad day, @Paisleydoll and I hope today is better.

It's 10 weeks since my TKR and yesterday I had a similar experience - at a pre-Christmas luncheon. The dining chair was too high and my knee was hurting all the time. I enjoyed the company, but I ended up leaving early, as I just couldn't get comfortable. I had restless legs that evening, too.

It really is true that this recovery can take as much as a year, so I guess we have to allow our knees to protest now and again!
 
Sorry, I feel like I come here just to vent, but this is the only place where I know people 'get it'.
Never a need to apologize about ranting or venting!

At twelve weeks, you know that there may be a few bumps in the road, but slowly and surely these bumps will all get smoothed out. It is sad that it happened, though, at a family get-together and on a holiday!

Keep on Keepin' on---there will be much better days ahead!
 
@Celle @referee54 - Thank you :-) I'm just really surprised at how much I'm stressing out about going back to work tomorrow. It's a four hour shift, I'll be tossed behind a cash register with a stool (if I feel I need it), and we've arranged an every-other-day schedule for a while (I won't be on completely 'unrestricted' work until after Jan 1st, it's surprising how physically demanding retail can be at times), but I'm still nervous about it.

I think I just need to get my butt to work and do it, and prove to myself that I'll be OK!
 
I think I just need to get my butt to work and do it, and prove to myself that I'll be OK!
You will be OK---you may be stiff and sore form time to time, but you knbow what to do--ice and elevate and understand that the issues---minor ones---will dissipate in time.
 
You'll be OK at work. Just use that stool as much as you can - remember the mantra, "Never stand when you can sit down".
 
Well this is your second day back at work. My guess is you're crashed out icing and elevating. Let us know how you're doing when you get a chance.
 
@kneeper - Thank you for asking! Happily, my scheduling manager is the best, and is giving me every other day to ease me back in. Her direct quote was "We're just getting you back, we don't want to break you again right away!"

Which was good, because yesterday was... unpleasant. I was fine, for the most part, and even agreed to stay an extra 15 minutes (retail. holiday season. yay? :shrug:), but it turned into an hour and a half. I did have a stool to sit on between customers, but there was no such thing as 'between'.

I wasn't in pain, but was really very uncomfortable by the time I made it home. The Knee did mellow out, and it became more of an all-over "I've been out of work HOW long?" ache.

I should have taken it easy today, but... As I've been out of commission for three months, the tub really, really needed attention. Really. Because the family doesn't 'see' it, and I do. :chinstroke: Which turned into pulling everything out of the bathroom, scrubbing it all down, and putting it back all shiny and clean again. Which was incredibly satisfying, but not entirely comfortable to do.

So NOW I'm sitting, Guinness at hand an ice pack on knee. I also have tomorrow off, and am planning on spending it watching mindless TV with knitting needles in hand!
 
YEp, that's just what the knee needs.
 
Work is going as well as expected, for being retail during the holiday season. My knee is tired and swollen, but I have to say that, compared to the pain I was in before surgery... There IS no comparison! I go home and put my feet up for a bit, add some ice, and it mellows down. Co-workers have told me it's obvious I'm feeling better, as well. "You'd walk by and we'd all just wince in sympathy. We could see how difficult it was for you to walk, and how much pain you were in."

One of my first customers today told me the books he was buying were for him to read, as he was having both knees replaced tomorrow. We started talking about it, and I told him I'd had one of mine done the beginning of September (he complimented me on how well I was moving). I think he might have thought I was joking when I told him that one of the best pieces of advice I'd had before surgery was to not play hero and Take The Drugs! .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom