Tapering medication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baaaaaad Gringo!!! You better take better care of yourself, anticipate your deep pain better, and take your meds BEFORE you need them! You need to anticipate the pain BEFORE you need them! Easier to handle that way! :)
 
Kim! You're the all around the clock poster girl! :). Always there for all of us! :)
 
Cause I don't sleep I am up for Australia if they need it, Great Britian if they need it and U.S. if they need help . I never sleep. lol. Aw You guys are like family exspecially for you all...........
 
well, when I am taking hydrocodone, they wear off around four hours later. So taking one and going to sleep, I am going to wake up four hours later.

The oxycodones are these capsules, instead of tablets, and I think they must be time release. They seem to work for about seven hours. I get more sleep if I take one of them. But I am about out of them. I never know what is going to be in stock at the pharmacy here. Today I got a refill, and it had to be codeine phosphate 8 mg.
 
Boy, Gringo....your system is going to think you took it to one heck of a party with all that switching around of drugs. Now that's an interesting issue of trying to recover from major surgery on a small island. Hope they never run out of pain meds entirely!
 
If they run out, Jamie... Gringo's gonna have to concoct lots of alcoholic cocktails! :)
 
Just have to mention that all of a sudden my pain disappeared. I heard it happened that way sometimes and it did at exactly 9 weeks. Have not had any medication of any sort for 3 whole days! Did all my PT, increased the minutes on the bike and walked longer than I have walked in a long time. Yippee. Now I know I have turned a corner. I know there may be times I need a Tylenol or something but do not need them steadily. Even on today's rainy, damp and cold day my knee did not ache. If anyone doubts it will happen to them ( like I did at one point) It does get better.
 
Lake
So glad you have reached another mildstone. I just wish the stiffness would leave. I only have a little pain except when it is rainy then more. I just want the stiffness to go away. Think I am going to try moist heat tomorrow.
 
Cool, Lake!!!! I'm so happy for you. You are definitely goin' down that sweet road to a new life!
 
That's great news about conquering your pain Lake! Log.....hope you have success with the moist heat tomorrow! Be sure to let us know how it works or you! :) Feel good! :) ,
 
Hey Lady, Just checking into to see how you are doing. I hope everything is going well and you are feeling better. How did that heat work out for you. I hope you feel better soon...............
 
Jo, what's the general view on painkillers at the stage you and I are at? I was told to start on up to 8 x 500mg paracetamol and 3 x 200mg ibuprofen (but could be up to 6) daily. I am now on around 4 paracetamol and 3 ibuprofen and it's the latter I usually need one more of. I have also been on a gastro-resistant lanzoprazole daily, 30mg when I left hospital, now 15mg.

The 20mg furosemide is working fine and only makes me pee frequently for the first hour or so of the day. The knee-length support socks are also OK but not so good in this hot weather and they don't look right with shorts!
 
Lakelover please let us know how your test goes on Thursday. I sure hope it is something they can take care of real fast and simple...............I hope you feel better.............

Hi Brain I didnt like the stockings either, because it was about 90 degrees. Way to hot as well.............Hope you are doing well................
 
Hahahah!!! Isn't it amazing how just one letter changes things??? Thanks for the laugh, Kim!!! :)
 
Is your parametacol what the US calls acetominophen? I have gotten both here, being a Brit island close to the US. Co-Codamol is an example here. 8 mg. codeine phosphate and 500 mg. of parametacol.

is it okay to take ibuprophen and parametacol together?
 
You are correct...parametacol is the same as acetominophen. There is no drug reaction when taken with ibuprophen, but you do need to be somewhat careful about the amounts taken. Normally a doctor would tell you what he wanted you to take of each. The other thing to watch is any other prescription or over-the-counter medicine you take also....many have these drugs in them and you don't realize it.
 
Jo, what's the general view on painkillers at the stage you and I are at? I was told to start on up to 8 x 500mg paracetamol and 3 x 200mg ibuprofen (but could be up to 6) daily. I am now on around 4 paracetamol and 3 ibuprofen and it's the latter I usually need one more of. I have also been on a gastro-resistant lanzoprazole daily, 30mg when I left hospital, now 15mg.
is it okay to take ibuprophen and parametacol together?

Yes, it's fine - I've often taken the standard dose of paracetamol (Tylenol!) and ibuprofen together if I've had a bad back or headache. Plus in the recovery we would give a cocktailo of 30mgs of codeine phosphate, 1gram of paracetamol and 50mgs of diclofenac as a post-op for intermediate pain. It worked like a charm nine times out of ten. Coincidentally I found it worked a treat for my migraine as well!

As for my medications at the moment, Brian, I'm taking nothing for my right knee now, haven't done so since 11pm on the 12th May! (Yes, I have kept a detailed log of every dose of anything since my first dose from the PCA! Talk about being a pedant!) But I'm not sure my recovery was very standard. For some reason everything seemed accelerated and - well, blessed! Not that I'm complaining, mind. I just know it's not usually the norm.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom