THR Tammie's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked to dr today--still wants me sleeping on my back. Isn't worried about blood clot since symptoms aren't there, except for pain. Even then pain is when lying flat so thinks it's muscle related due to a new improved walk. I think it's the standing heel/toe exercises. It almost feels like when you are driving for a long period of time. PT said no to anything except ice under leg. Brewed some sleepy time tea so I'm going to cross my fingers.
 
Wow in the 1970's I had "sleepy time tea" - had completely forgotten it.
 
Well sorry to say the tea didn't work. Slept 2 hrs, up from 2 am-4, slept 4-7--ugh! I'm exhausted. Tonight going to go with Tylenol PM and warm milk.

The pain behind knee is finally gone. I watched. YouTube video that shows you how to apply pressure behind the knee--it worked!

Started running a few quick errands without cane. Happy to say that I managed quite well with only a very slight limp (concentrated on every step).
 
The journey continues (7 weeks) and was wondering if anyone else has experienced calf ache (outside and back of calf) when they began walking without aide? I have been walking more and more without any assistance and concentrate on making sure my gait is natural and without limp, but I have really been experiencing a lot of aching in the calf area - mostly when at rest - always there.
 
@thr5/15
I think maybe your body is telling you to use the walking aide a while longer~ I find that I can go without the aide after my walk but then as the day goes on ~ I am achy and need the support. See if that helps to take it a little slower. I have also noticed that some days are just better than others~ I think it's just part of the journey.
 
Try new shoes. For me, shin splints is a sure sign that it's time to replace. Remember that your shoes adapted to your abnormal gait. Now that your gait is returning to true normal, the shoes interfere with that. And who doesn't love a good reason to buy new shoes. :)

Also, the point of the cane is to assist you in walking without a limp UNTIL you can do it on your own. A very slight limp is still a limp. You get no brownie points for rushing it now. Patience, grasshopper. It pays off big time in the end.

Sharon
 
@Sullivand You're absolutely right--it is quite the journey with something new everyday. I am getting impatient at 7 weeks and want independence from my buddy "cane".

@sharonsip I think new shoes might have been part of my problem coupled with pt 2 days in a row. After second pt went out with friend in new sandals. Wore them again Friday and most of Saturday :groan:. Pain is almost gone since I put the sandals back on the shelf and also used the cane went I was getting tired.
 
@thr5/15
Oh yes! Shoes make a difference! I actually went to a running shoe store and had the experts fit me in a pair of athletic shoes with padded inserts. They have been amazing helping me with my walk each day.
Continue with your patient progress!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom