BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION TKR] Tabbykit's recovery from TKR revision

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by tabbykit, Jun 15, 2019.

1. tabbykit

tabbykit member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh I am having a bad day.... (after a worse than usual night). The bruising has come through and covers a pretty huge area and is painful in addition to the other pain. Anything I can do? I guess it does not respond to icing. Does bruising add to swelling? Anything I should or should not do?

2. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Although icing won't take the bruising away, it may help to relieve some of the pain.
    Some people swear by Arnica cream to help reduce bruising - keep the cream well away from your incision, though.

I don't think the bruising adds to swelling, because the blood was already in your tissues. It's not new bleeding, but has become more visible. Gravity will have an effect on your bruising and your bruises will go downhill, to the back of your leg and down to your ankles.

Have you seen this article?
    Bruising after surgery

3. tabbykit

tabbykit member

Thank you @Celle, I had not seen that.

4. tabbykit

tabbykit member

Day 12 now, just over 1 week at home. Pain mostly manageable given that I am only taking paracetamol. Sleeping in blocks of maybe 2 hours at a time, total about 6 hours a night with a short nap during the day. Using cryocuff and elevating for maybe an hour at a time, then up for a walk round the house - using crutches as I feel safer and more upright. Also doing BS exercises, but when it says 'painless heel slides' etc I wonder if such a thing exists? Bending in any way or degree is painful, isn't that usual at this stage? Trying to work on gait, that is heel down first, small steps. I get up to sit at the kitchen table for meals. It's 25 degrees outside, warm for Scotland, but I am wearing fleece as the cryocuff keeps me cold!

• Like Like x 1
  5. tabbykit

tabbykit member

@dogwalker2 and @lisabl, can I ask you as you are also in the UK, what were you given for blood thinners and for how long, also re compression stockings?

6. newpartial

newpartial junior member

@tabbykit I am in the uk .. I was given xaretto (rivaroxaban) as a blood thinner . For compression stockings they said 6 weeks but I ditched them after week 2 as felt as I was pretty mobile and moving legs a lot did not think they were helping .

• Like Like x 1
  7. dogwalker2

dogwalker2 member

Hi Tabbykit, I
    I went home with 11 pre-filled syringes of Fragmin (total course was 14 days). I have lovely (!) dark green compression socks (3 pairs) which I have to wear till I see my consultant at week 6. Sleeping is a definite challenge, but am doing better now. Dont push with any of the exercises, give your knee time and tlc is my best advice. Good plan with the walking. My aim was to get my operated leg to move in exactly the same way as my other leg, just more gently and slowly. As the swelling reduces it gets easier.☺☺

8. lisabl

lisabl member

@tabbykit horrible horrible Fragmin injections I had to do myself for 10 days when I got home. Stung like hell and lots of mini bruises in my tummy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tabbykit

tabbykit member

Thanks @newpartial, @dogwalker2, and @lisabl - interesting that it's not a standard time for the blood thinners. I haven't heard of rivaroxban, and I too have the horrible Fragmin injections but came home with 28 day supply. It does smart! I was told to wear the socks for 6 weeks so as that is one thing not causing me problems I will continue. Went to A&E this morning as I have had the dreaded allergic reaction to something... started yesterday on my back, then spread to front, neck and face - - raised itchy lumps,and I was afraid of anaphylaxis given my history following TKR 4 yrs ago. Dr gave me 3 kinds of antihistamines and prednisolone to take home. Don't know what caused it but looking at food diary maybe strawberries? Had a few Thursday morning, then more yesterday evening. Seems that any meds now cause me to become sensitised... feeling pretty fed up at present.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. dogwalker2

dogwalker2 member

Strawberries are a classic for food allergies, sadly. However, I used to get prickly heat rash (years ago when we were in foreign climates) and that was tge same, raised very itchy rash. I used to use piriton and calamine lotion - so
    maybe just the heat???

• Like Like x 1
  11. winemama

winemama senior

United States United States
    It is so funny how different the USA is different from the UK when it comes to TKR. Mine was no support socks, 1 baby aspirin a day for blood thinner, no stitches, glue Interesting

12. tabbykit

tabbykit member

@dogwalker2, yes I thought prickly heat when it started on my back yesterday. It's cool in the house but of course I'm mostly sitting/lying against pillows. I used calamine and now taking loratidine which I think is the same as piriton. Never thought about the strawberries causing a problem, eat them every summer but I guess all the damn meds in my system have sensitised me. Gp said it was likely that.

13. tabbykit

tabbykit member

@winemama, yes it is very different! Aspirin is usual for the blood thinner here too but I'm afraid of a reaction so refused it. Staples seem to be the usual closure for TKR, which seems a bit barbaric to me. I guess it's quicker and cheaper...

14. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I think it's a difference between the different surgeons' protocols, rather than a difference in the countries.

Some surgeons use Aspirin, some use Rivaroxaban, and some use injections.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had aspirin and no TEDs. I was thrilled when I heard him tell me that.

• Like Like x 2
  16. tabbykit

tabbykit member

Day 16 postop. Feeling somewhat discouraged after first visit to physio. I thought I was doing pretty well, on leaving hospital was 5/75, she measured me at 10/50. Is it normal for ROM to decrease so much? I know it can take months to reach its optimum. I am icing, elevating, following BS guidelines. Could it be because I am only able to take paracetamol and nothing stronger?

17. winemama

winemama senior

Stop worrying about ROM, your leg is swollen, and bruised. Keep elevating and icing I’m at 9 weeks and only 100 because of the swelling in the back of my knee, it will come. Im driving, shopping and only use my cane outside concentrate on healing

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Your swelling will vary, especially this early. Any activity you do right now will make your leg swell.

Don’t even think about ROM and don’t listen to their concerns. It’s very early days yet.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tabbykit

tabbykit member

@winemama and @Jockette, thank you,, it's just discouraging when most threads I read seem to show that so many have a better ROM even at this stage.

20. dogwalker2

dogwalker2 member

I am sure that once the swelling goes down you will find your ROM improves hugely. Early days, plenty of time and try not to compare yourself w others, everyone heals at their own rate. Xx