TKR Swelling two years post op

Back to work I go! After taking 8 weeks off, the dreaded day arrived this Monday. I sit at a desk all day, and have been in horrible pain. I have Psoriatric Arthritis, and instead of just dealing with one knee in recovery, I have pain in my other knee due to bone on bone arthritis and a Bakers cyst. My replacement knee hurts but I know it is healing and I see a difference in how I walk so that is great. I am having awful pain in back of thighs, knees feel like they have been scraped on asphalt, and arthritis in lower back hurts all day. My toes are aching as well.
After four days of “ I want to cry I hurt so much pain” I just do not know what to do. I went to visit my Rheumatologist and he gave me a prescription for ibuprofen and told me to take 1600 mg a day. ibuprofen, Tylenol, does not touch the pain. I am afraid the surgery has affected my inflammation but my blood tests do not show a high level of inflammation. My Dr.was rushed, and annoyed at my last appt.
is this something typical at week 9? I cannot go on at this level of pain. It was my biggest feat returning to work!
 
Wow, @Honey007 I am so, so sorry to read that you are in such pain! I don't know what to suggest, but know that I care. :console2: I know that every knee is different, but gosh. All I know is that I never hurt that much ever, even in the early weeks, so that is worrisome. That much pain during week 9 seems like almost too much to bear, and I think that for your doctor to be too rushed and annoyed to deal with your pain is inexcusable.

Can you take unpaid time off using FMLA leave?
Maybe you need a consulting orthopedic surgeon's opinion.

Rest, ice, elevate, take what meds you have been given... :console2:
 
Last edited:
I’m so sorry you have so much pain in so many areas. I have arthritis in other areas, too, so I understand. :console2:

While sitting at your desk is it possible to elevate, even just a little? Sometimes any height is better than nothing, even if it’s not optimal.

I put a low box on the floor under my computer desk at home and needed the foot of my operated leg on that box for well over a year, if not 2 years, before I didn’t need it anymore, as my chair was higher than my new knee liked. Having my foot on that box took some pressure off my knee.

Also, if/when you elevate, try to make sure you have a little bend in your knee. I found that any time I wasn’t home but was elevating at someone else’s house my leg always ached really bad, and I finally realized that my leg was too straight, using someone else’s footstool to put my leg on. My leg was (and still is) very sensitive to the angle and I didn’t have the same angle as I did at home.
My Dr.was rushed, and annoyed at my last appt.
I’ve had this happen to me also, and as Carole said, it is inexcusable. We pay them how much for their time? Pardon us for interrupting their day. :blackcloud:
 
@Jockette
Thank you for responding- i am in agony! I put on a happy face at work and when i get home just cry! I understand arthritis and all but do not get why weird body parts hurt- why the back of my thighs- there are no joints there lol! I tried to put my feet up when i went and sat in the back to eat and you are right the chair i put them on was too high- i do need something lower.
Yes my Rheumy is a miserable person- I hear him joking and laughing with patients in the next room every time then when he comes in to see me he acts like he is angry.
I literally am not a problem patient- i just don't know which arthritis is causing pain and so have no idea of my medication is working. For all i know my joints could be crumbled to dust!:flabber:
 
@Carole4815

Hi Carol Thank you! Yes I have my Orthapedic doc who did my surgery and had my follow up appt and am doing very well as far as healing- My rheumatologist is just miserable to see- I told my husband, well he has the best ratings in the area- I hate to go to someone who has less of a good rating as they are apt to be even worse!
No matter what i tell him or his nurse practitioner, it is if they are just hearing that complaint for the first time-
"I have such weakness in my legs I can hardly walk"
Oh, hmm, I have never heard that before they have said!
So basically unless it is related to a joint they have no idea what is happening.
Oh and all the ibuprofen:thankyou: or advil in the world is not a solution...
 
Did you say you're back on your Enbrel now? I know some of those meds take a few weeks to build up to an effective level.
It would not be unusual to still have pain at 8 weeks. I know I was taking tylenol several times a day on a schedule. I did feel like I had a mild flare up after my tkr where various things hurt more. It did settle down over time. Hopefully it will be the same for you.
 
11 weeks out now I believe and apologize for all the whining! Over the weekend, I can say I honestly felt the best I had in ages! Went out and about and everyone notices how much better I am walking! I made it thru a Hobby Lobby for the first time in ages and just grabbed holiday stuff for Christmas as I have not gotten into decorating for the holidays in a couple of years. I figured I never know when I will get back. I do feel worn out end of day, still hurts to stand up from seated position, but my Dr. said in six months I should be able to stand up with no pain.
I try to prop my legs at work on break, and get to work from home one day a week now. Today was my first any and I worked 9 hrs at our home office set up. phew, now I’m paying.
I have been wearing compression socks when I get home as my knee does swell and I keep it elevated with a wedge while sitting in a recliner.
I have been tapering off predisone as It really helped with all the various pains. Now I take Celebrex or ibuprophen. I really do not know which works best.
Tomorrow our office is going on a six block ghost tour of our downtown area.
I was asked by my supervisor if I would be ok with that and of course I blurted out “ Oh yes!!!! Of course!” Now keep in mind it has been a very long time since I walked six blocks, let alone after working a 9 hour day.
Believe me it is not the ghosts I am worried about....
Wish me luck - seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!
 
11 weeks out now I believe and apologize for all the whining! Over the weekend, I can say I honestly felt the best I had in ages!
You went back to work earlier, but there is a reason why we recommend taking about 12 weeks off and then doing a Phased return to work . Your knee has had those extra weeks, to get to the stage where it starts to feel better.
Now keep in mind it has been a very long time since I walked six blocks, let alone after working a 9 hour day.
Believe me it is not the ghosts I am worried about....
I hope this goes well for you. If you can, plan a rest day for the day afterwards.
 
@Celle Thank you! Yes I took 9 weeks off instead of the 8 planned. I would have loved to have taken 12 and phased return to work but I was too worried about missing so much time.
I made it thru 30 minutes of the Ghost tour with my Coworkers.
I was in excruciating pain in my other knee, it is bone on bone too. That whole leg and lower back was screaming but my new knee, aside from swelling, handled it like a champ.
I’m home now, icing and using Arnica gel and plan on sleeping with motorized ice machine which I have not used in a while.
Need to be in tomorrow at 7:30.
Cannot remember walking that much in a while so kind of happy knowing my knee knee is working!

Thank you for supporting us!
:ice:
 
I’m so happy to hear your new knee handled that tour well! Just think how great it will be when it’s all healed!

Sorry about the other one, though.
 
Never worry about whinging. Isn't that partly why we're all here? Sharing our challenges and fears in a safe place makes the healing process better.

I'm glad your new knee was a champ on the walk. Such a shame you have another dodgy knee keeping you from the fun still.
 
I guess I really did overdo my downtown adventure on Thursday
Friday worked
Was so excited about Saturday planned on shopping a bit and checking out office chairs as we get to work from home one day a week
Felt like Goldilocks - some too hard some too soft and one nearly flipped me backroads. Getting up and done in a dozen chairs did me in.
Knee as swollen as it was after surgery and pain everywhere due to arthritis.
I learned my lesson!
 
I think we've all been in the ODIC one time or another and learn our lesson (hopefully :heehee:) Lots of icing (don't forget the cloth between your skin and the icing medium), elevating and rest for a bit should soon mitigate the effects of your activity binge.
 
We all spend time in the ODIC. Once you stop feeling terrible all the time, its so exciting!!! It's very easy to over schedule and do too much. And where 'too much' is, will be a moving target for a while.

All part of the process. When you cross the line, just back up and rest and ice for a day or two until it forgives you.
 
I too have Psoriatic Arthritis and can totally relate to everything hurting. When I go to bed my ankles sometimes hurt and nothing helps. It's crazy. Glad you are feeling better and was able to get out and walk. It makes you feel human again. I had BTKR in July and due to a horrible experience with PT I had to have an MUA. So I'm basically 9 weeks post MUA. I also wonder when my life will be normal again but every day I try to find some milestone that I wasn't able to do when I first got them done. Good luck to you and I'll keep watching for more successes.
 
@sectac oh I hate to hear that! Yes PSA is awful enough and I hate your PT experience caused so many problems. Honestly i told my husband on my first day of PT that if anyone made me overdo it or forced my knee, I would walk out. I never would have known to do that if it was not for Bonesmart.
luckily I went to a small office and fell in love with it!
i had been to PT in the past for my issues with arthritis and they had me practically training for a marathon. It was miserable and I would leave in tears.
it caused me to go into a flair and I never returned.
i wish you well -you are already seeing small changes for the better. I too noticed how each day is a bit better than the last.
 
My right knee was replaced In August of 2019 and wa a success. I wrote all about my replacements here and I loved being part of this group. I have noticed the upper part of my knee more on lower left appears puffy and I’m guessing has fluid on it. It does not really cause pain, but I also have Psoriatric Arthritis which affects my joints. I wanted to see if I should have it looked at regardless and if so should I go to my surgeon, or could any Orthapedic look at it. My surgeon is great but very busy and a bit of a ways away from where I live. I hate to bother him if it is an easy fix. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this?
 
I am 10 months out on my right knee just had the left done this May and I have two lumps on my right knee that are a little squishy and I asked my surgeon about and he said it’s bursitis and that there’s nothing to be done with them. One is right on the tip of knee cap and the other is on the outer right side. They don’t cause me any pain. I am hoping maybe they will go away w time.
 
I would at least call your surgeon’s office and ask about this issue, and ask them the same question about why you might consider going to someone closer.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You can always bookmark this thread so you can find it easily.

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom