Guest viewing is limited

THR Swelling On side of leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day hippies! My recovery has been going great. As of yesterday, I am one month out and am pretty much pain free, with more mobility than I had before the surgery. I am doing a half hour on the stationary bike, plus walking around these massive supermarkets we have here on a daily basis, doing some household chores and up and down steps several times a day. One thing I have noticed is that I am unable to lift my operated leg high enough to get it into pants, underwear, etc. I can lift it with my hand, but the muscles don't seem to be firing like they should. So I have a question that maybe @Josephine or one of the other moderators could address. Is this something I need to work on, like maybe with PT? Or is it just something I need to wait to heal? Thanks in advance for any responses

I hope you are all having a great day :flwrysmile:
 
It is still early in your recovery process and It's going to take a little more time for that leg to get stronger. But, when I was going to PT, they had me balance myself on my op leg, for as long as I could (10-20 seconds x10) while standing on a thick foam pad. This helped strengthen the leg muscle and improved my balance, as well. Just make sure you have something to grab onto, if you begin to teeter a bit. Wouldn't want you to fall. Try without the foam pad and see how that goes. Going up and down stairs helps too....and going up is good for the bum muscles.
 
@Nana757, thanks for the advice! I actually have been trying to balance on the op leg a bit, and I love that I no longer hear snap, crackle and pop when I do that!

Regarding the steps, how long before you could walk up the steps normally rather than both legs on each step? (If that makes sense). I am definitely not there yet!
 
I am doing a half hour on the stationary bike, plus walking around these massive supermarkets we have here on a daily basis, doing some household chores and up and down steps several times a day. One thing I have noticed is that I am unable to lift my operated leg high enough to get it into pants, underwear, etc. I can lift it with my hand, but the muscles don't seem to be firing like they should. Is this something I need to work on, like maybe with PT? Or is it just something I need to wait to heal?
You're doing all this at 4 weeks? I'm not surprised you're having problems with all that you are doing! You're not giving yourself any time to rest and recover. And half an hour on the bike every day? 10 mins would be more than enough. It's all far too much far too soon. I suggest you start acting like you've had the major surgery you've had and perhaps you will have a chance to get better faster!

Did you not read the articles I left you in post #3 of this thread? This one in particular? Activity progression for THRs in which it is recommended

Weeks 4 and 5
Increase walks around, to 30mins, longer if you feel up to it.
Activity: now you can do some dusting and push a vacuum round the middle of the living room; do a little meal prep (for yourself not the family!), maybe fill and empty the washing machine

Weeks 6 and 7
Start taking car trips to the shops
but keep them short and sweet at the start, no longer than 15-20 minutes
Take at least one 5 minute rest while you are out.
Activity: ironing, washing, meal prep but get someone else to clear up after, wash up but someone else clears the table, brings you the dirty dishes, dries and puts them away after, not you!!
 
If memory serves me, I think I was maneuvering the steps in normal fashion by about my 4th or 5th week. But I wouldn't have done it if I didn't feel strong or confident enough to attempt it. Baby steps, girl. You'll get there...just be patient and follow Josephine's advice. I also remember that I continued with icing and elevating well into my 2nd and 3rd month...just because it felt so good and was very therapeutic. This is a marathon, not a sprint, and everyone recovers at a different pace. Just think about how much better you'll be in another couple of months. :)
 
@Josephine, I'm not really having problems, I just can't lift my leg very high. Do you think that's because I am doing too much? Honestly, I feel good, and do take time to rest throughout the day, but sitting still has never been easy for me. Maybe I will switch to 30 minutes of walking instead of the bike, although I do actually find the bike less strenuous. It was the one form of exercise I was able to do after my hip got really bad, so I am kind of used to it.

I will try the walking tomorrow and cut down on the shopping :yes:.

@Nana757 I think after spending so many years walking up the steps like a cripple, my legs just don't remember how to do it correctly. I will talk to my OS and see if he thinks PT can help
 
I've already answered that question. I suggest you
a) use the bike but for 10 minutes at a time and no resistance
b) do less
c) and do NO PT! PT never helped pain - it only makes it worse!
 
@Jessicageb
I totally agree with Josephine. I found out the hard way that PT does no good..they push you to do things that end up aggravating those tender muscles, tendons, ligaments and soft tissue. Just take it slow and do what feels comfortable. And you'll master those steps before you know it. Try doing a couple of steps in the beginning to see how it goes, then add a step or two once you get confident that you can do it. :)
 
Hi hippies! I have not been around this forum for a while because I have been out walking, biking, dancing and generally enjoying my new hip. I had a THR a little over 3 months ago. This past Wednesday, I started to have pain again :unsure:. The pain is not terrible, but it is definitely new. It is on the side of my hip and also the side and front of my thigh feel sore and tender to the touch. It has also woken me up during the night. I cannot think of anything I might have done to aggravate it except I did lift a couple of those cases of water bottles that they sell at the warehouse stores. Didn't hurt at the time, but maybe I did some damage? I am also worried about infection because I have had a lot of dental work recently including root canal :umm:
I am trying to rest as much as possible and hope it gets better. I am wondering if this type of thing is par for the course or something to be concerned about. I have a call in to my doctor but am wondering if anybody has had a similar experience.
 
Hi Jessicageb. I'm wondering just how much enjoying you're doing at only 3 months out. I also enjoy biking and dancing, but I had to learn the hard way to ease back into those activities very slowly and gradually after each of my THRs. Even now, 4 and 5 years later, I will get flare ups of bursitis if I go overboard.
Trochanteric bursitis with THR

I also have IT band issues when I overdo. That often goes hand in hand with bursitis....
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments

Truly, it will be at least a year....possibly longer....before all the soft tissue heals. Which means that we are particularly vulnerable to setting ourselves up for tendinitis.

I'm tagging @Josephine for you. I am sure she will want to know exactly how much of each activity you are doing (distance, frequency, etc), along with any other daily activities (work, exercise, PT, etc). While we all get concerned about infection anytime there is new pain, it rarely turns out to be that. But Jo can help you sort through what's going on.

Sharon
 
Thank you @sharonslp for your quick reply. I probably am guilty of overdoing it a bit. I am the sort of person who cannot sit still. I am hoping that's all it is. How much rest would it typically take for you to recover after a flare-up? I remember that I was feeling good on Saturday and went for a walk. On Sunday, I was in pain again :umm:Today I will rest and I see my OS tomorrow morning. Praying that it's nothing worse than a minor setback
 
It is on the side of my hip and also the side and front of my thigh feel sore and tender to the touch
Sharon has it correctly. It sounds like you have developed IT band issues along with trochanteric bursitis. Read the articles she left you.
I did lift a couple of those cases of water bottles that they sell at the warehouse stores. Didn't hurt at the time, but maybe I did some damage?
Maybe damage is putting it a bit strongly but it's definitely a strain. These things tend to be accumulative so one thing wouldn't cause it. Personally I find that vacuuming does tend to irritate mine.
I am also worried about infection because I have had a lot of dental work recently including root canal
No need to as it's been declared a non event. Read this Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures
 
@Josephine, as always, you are beyond helpful! I have read the articles and it seems to describe what is going on with my poor leg. One thing I forgot to mention is that I can see some slight bruising on the side of my thigh that I don't think was there before (although I did have some bruising after surgery). Is that consistent with an IT band injury?
 
No it's not - not in my experience anyway. Do you have any other issue that might be contributing? Like are you on anti-coagulants or are you diabetic? That sort of thing?

You also say it is slight - perhaps you knocked it without realising. See if the bruise goes away within 2-3 days. If it doesn't, or it gets darker, perhaps see your GP about it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom