TKR Suzibelle on the Road to Recovery

This whole recovery journey seems to be two steps forward and one step back. It does take time, but you'll get there in the end.
Yes, I am trying to keep my eye on the prize. Roll on next milestone!
 
@Suzibelle
I CAN move up and down stairs with ease now, and I STILL can't say I'm glad I had this done! It may come yet, as a co-worker asked again, and I told her I wouldn't go that far, and she replied "that's better than your last answer. A month ago you said it as an emphatic NO!" So maybe I will get there and be able to say I was glad I had this done, but right now, I'm still not there. It has gotten MUCH better than 3 months ago, though.
 
@Suzibelle
I CAN move up and down stairs with ease now, and I STILL can't say I'm glad I had this done! It may come yet, as a co-worker asked again, and I told her I wouldn't go that far, and she replied "that's better than your last answer. A month ago you said it as an emphatic NO!" So maybe I will get there and be able to say I was glad I had this done, but right now, I'm still not there. It has gotten MUCH better than 3 months ago, though.
Ha...well, it's funny how others remember our progress better than we do!
 
Yeah.... Things ARE better, but I still have a lot of pain at times. Part of it is the pain I have in my whole body, especially my neck. But the knee is slowly getting better, and even though I can do stairs easier now and it's not really so painful, it still takes a lot out of me. So I may be confusing some overall discomfort/pain with associated knee pain. The knee bothers me most at night.
 
@birdwatchr, I can't say I'm glad yet that I've had the surgery, but I sure do agree with your statement. Nighttime is also the worst for me.
The nice thing after 5 months was normal sleep (more or less). I wake up more due to my stiff and misaligned back than I do for the knee.
 
Yeah.... Things ARE better, but I still have a lot of pain at times. Part of it is the pain I have in my whole body, especially my neck. But the knee is slowly getting better, and even though I can do stairs easier now and it's not really so painful, it still takes a lot out of me. So I may be confusing some overall discomfort/pain with associated knee pain. The knee bothers me most at night.
Is your neck pain related to the new knee, @birdwatchr ?
 
I suppose I should make an effort to be more grateful. It's just that I can't say "I'm glad I did this" until I can move up and down stairs with ease or go on a long hike in the mountains. But today's milestone? Today while swimming, it was my non-operated knee that was giving me problems.

I agree, Suzibelle.
 
@Suzibelle
Neck pain and lower back pain are from pinched nerves. I am thinking so are the hand/wrist pain, since I had carpal tunnel surgery in the past year on both and the pain is now worse. That bad "A" word (arthritis) has apparently attacked my whole body. Foot has an arthritic bone growing on the top of it. If I could find something that would take care of all the pain in one shot, I'd be good! I wonder, though, can you get arthritis in your head? There are bones up there, and I have headaches all the time! Of course, I've had them since the 3rd grade, but that's beside the point! LOL
 
@Suzibelle
Neck pain and lower back pain are from pinched nerves. I am thinking so are the hand/wrist pain, since I had carpal tunnel surgery in the past year on both and the pain is now worse. That bad "A" word (arthritis) has apparently attacked my whole body. Foot has an arthritic bone growing on the top of it. If I could find something that would take care of all the pain in one shot, I'd be good! I wonder, though, can you get arthritis in your head? There are bones up there, and I have headaches all the time! Of course, I've had them since the 3rd grade, but that's beside the point! LOL
I understand what you were saying above about identifying if this is knee pain or other pain...sounds like you've got a lot keeping you on your toes, so to speak. Sending you lots of healing energy, @birdwatchr .
 
Thanks. Some days aren't so bad; others are horrible due to 3-4 places decide they are all going to act up at once. That's when people at work get the "head's up" message - "sorry, not doing much work today!"
 
I hate those down and painful days. The knee will give us a good day and then, like it just teased you with that good day, the bad ones come back. Sometimes I really hate this new knee and am sorry I had it done. Other days I love it and am almost glad I had it done! Maybe one day I'll be all the way glad I had it done!
 
I'm sorry you have all these arthritic aches and pains, @birdwatchr . :console2:
I know how it feels, because I'm another who is "blessed" with osteoarthritis in multiple joints. At least my knees are pain-free nowadays.
 
I am waiting for the day I can say like some of the rest of you, I am glad I had the surgery. Like the rest of you, I am just not there as of now. I have been so tuckered out this week, more so than even last week. This will be my first full week back at work and Monday after work I took a 2 hr nap and went to bed and had a so so night of sleep, last night slept good, but was tired when I got up and I am tired again now. I contribute a lot of it to the energy drain a lot of you speak of, my husband thinks it's a bunch of hog wash, but I fired back at him the other day when he said you do to much research and reading on the internet, I said you wait till your turn comes. You'll see. ( it will probably be awhile if ever, thank god he has good health :loll:Just not as understanding as I would like him to be sometimes. )
 
@zzevi
I can empathize with the hubby. Mine keeps asking "how long are you going to milk the knee?" He refuses to believe there is energy drain. He just doesn't get it either.
 
@zzevi
I can empathize with the hubby. Mine keeps asking "how long are you going to milk the knee?" He refuses to believe there is energy drain. He just doesn't get it either.
For the first three months, I kept telling my boyfriend, "I won't always be this grumpy."
 
Has anyone tried yoga or Pilates since the surgery? I'm noticing that my right glute and hip have tightened up significantly, along with the back/spine.
 
I'm blessed to not be married and listen to that bull. If I am tired, I rest. If I feel bad, I do little and I don't have to be put on a guilt trip by someone who is supposed to love me. I know the energy drain and is real. Nobody can tell me that it's all in my head or that I'm milking it. Until you go through it, you just can't understand.
 
I'm blessed to not be married and listen to that bull. If I am tired, I rest. If I feel bad, I do little and I don't have to be put on a guilt trip by someone who is supposed to love me. I know the energy drain and is real. Nobody can tell me that it's all in my head or that I'm milking it. Until you go through it, you just can't understand.
Very true. I didn't know how to explain the weepiness that followed surgery. I think everyone around me was unsure when I might burst into tears. Glad those days are over. The surgeon never prepared me for the anxiety of leaving the house for the first time or the depression of not sleeping well, of frustration, of constant discomfort, etc.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom