TKR Suzibelle on the Road to Recovery

Extension usually takes longer to achieve then flexion. I'm also still working on getting to zero. I've had back pain and have been going to a chiropractor for massage and adjustments which have helped. You might want to try that. Also have you gotten new shoes? I wear sneakers for work and for walking and I've gone to a store that caters to runners. They measured my feet, examined my gait, looked at the wear pattern of my old shoes and then made a few suggestions. If that is not available you might want to be checked to see if an orthotic added to your shoes could be helpful.
 
Thanks, @newlybionic! It looks like your revision was a week behind my replacement. Is that the leg that is still not straightening to zero? I have seen a few massage therapists plus an acupuncturist. My current physio thinks that resuming my normal walking will help to escalate the straightening, though I was working 2 1/2 weeks after my replacement. I still prefer a crutch to help my back on longer walks. I wonder if it's helping or hindering a normal stride.
 
It is the knee I had a revision on that is not at zero. It's very slooowly getting better. It wasn't straight before the original TKR so it will eventually get there. Are you using a cane at all? You might want to try that as it might be more helpful to reduce pain. Make sure you know how to use it correctly.
 
Thanks! I'm actually using one of my elbow crutches, depending on where I'm going and how much walking or sitting is involved. My physio team showed me how to use it from the beginning. Sometimes I don't lean on it at all...it just helps me stand a bit straighter. Other times, when I'm really worn out, I lean into it.
 
4 days short of 6 months, and I'm a bit down. Leg is still +5 degrees at its best, this means my gait is STILL altered. To be honest, my back hurts more than anything. I was hoping to be further along by now. :sad: I try to keep in mind that everyone's 3 month milestone was more like my 4 month. It does continue to improve, but I just thought I would feel more "back to normal" by this point. Anyone else experience a bigger delay than expected?
 
Welcome to the slow train to recovery team. At 6 months you are halfway to recovery. You are right most are feeling better by now, but it still takes a full year to recovery, for some longer.
Go back and take a look at post #15 exercises for extension link, and post #19 with some walking tips for extension.
Has anyone taken a good look at your back pain to determine where it is coming from? Your spine, is it your disks, it is your facet joints, your SI joint, referred pain from elsewhere, leg length discrepancy, scoliosis, hip flexors, and so on.
If you are limping or your gait is not right you need to use an assistive device to keep from developing poor walking habits.
Hope you find some answers soon,
 
Welcome to the slow train to recovery team. At 6 months you are halfway to recovery. You are right most are feeling better by now, but it still takes a full year to recovery, for some longer.
Go back and take a look at post #15 exercises for extension link, and post #19 with some walking tips for extension.
Has anyone taken a good look at your back pain to determine where it is coming from? Your spine, is it your disks, it is your facet joints, your SI joint, referred pain from elsewhere, leg length discrepancy, scoliosis, hip flexors, and so on.
If you are limping or your gait is not right you need to use an assistive device to keep from developing poor walking habits.
Hope you find some answers soon,
Thanks, Pumpkin. My back bothered me pre-surgery and physio got it back on track. The knee issues were aggravating it before. With physio, I was able to get it back to comfortable. Ever since this surgery, the problem has resumed, getting worse. I use a crutch often to make me walk more upright. I'm between full coverage at the moment, so I'm off to a sports therapist out of pocket with hopes of finding some relief until my full insurance kicks in again.
 
4 days short of 6 months, and I'm a bit down. Leg is still +5 degrees at its best, this means my gait is STILL altered. To be honest, my back hurts more than anything. I was hoping to be further along by now. :sad: I try to keep in mind that everyone's 3 month milestone was more like my 4 month. It does continue to improve, but I just thought I would feel more "back to normal" by this point. Anyone else experience a bigger delay than expected?
Hi @Suzibelle Im not far behind you and am also having a 'slow' recovery. I can relate to everything you say here, especially about the problems with extension (I think mine is still between +5 and +10) and the resulting difficulties with walking and back pain. I also find standing really uncomfortable, because I can't put weight equally on both feet. I'm still using a crutch sometimes,even around the house, I still need the support. I must admit I'm feeling a bit left behind, and wish I had a magic wand to speed things up, but know it will take as long as it takes. It is getting frustrating though. Please know that you are not alone.
All the best
Tabby xxx
 
I'm sorry, Tabby and Suzibelle. We go through all this, and you're having struggles still. Hope those knees keep straightening as time goes by!
 
When standing for very long I have to really work on standing equally on both feet and keeping my knees straight. I want to lean over on one hip like I've always done. My right knee is still uncomfortable when I do this. My back hurts and I feel stiff often if I've sat for very long. My SI joint was a mess before knee surgery and still is. Last week I can't count the number of times that joint count me off guard with a sudden "tinge". I try to sit up straight when sitting for long. I want to take the time to go get a message. I think my knees are fine-it's the rest of my body :beg:
 
Hi Suzebelle, I've also been on the slow train, but things do seem to evolve positively, albeit slowly. I'm just a little ahead of you. I still can't walk long distances because my back starts hurting. I didn't have back issues pre-op, so I believe it's due to gait changes. It feels like it's twisting, and when I sit for just a moment it passes. Have you gotten new shoes? The old ones won't work any more!
Hoping your sports physio can help.
 
Hi @Suzibelle Im not far behind you and am also having a 'slow' recovery. I can relate to everything you say here, especially about the problems with extension (I think mine is still between +5 and +10) and the resulting difficulties with walking and back pain. I also find standing really uncomfortable, because I can't put weight equally on both feet. I'm still using a crutch sometimes,even around the house, I still need the support. I must admit I'm feeling a bit left behind, and wish I had a magic wand to speed things up, but know it will take as long as it takes. It is getting frustrating though. Please know that you are not alone.
All the best
Tabby xxx
Thanks, @Tabbycat. I hate standing, also. I can walk better than I can stand. It's hard to go out and meet friends when standing is involved. My crutch goes to work with me, but I don't use it all the time. It also just depends on the day. Is my leg a bit straighter? Is the distance short? It's depressing. I feel better knowing it's not just me. I'm just ready to get back to the active lifestyle I had before knee pain.
 
When standing for very long I have to really work on standing equally on both feet and keeping my knees straight. I want to lean over on one hip like I've always done. My right knee is still uncomfortable when I do this. My back hurts and I feel stiff often if I've sat for very long. My SI joint was a mess before knee surgery and still is. Last week I can't count the number of times that joint count me off guard with a sudden "tinge". I try to sit up straight when sitting for long. I want to take the time to go get a message. I think my knees are fine-it's the rest of my body :beg:
yeah, who knew we would have to work to fix the rest of us post-op! :cry:
 
Hi Suzebelle, I've also been on the slow train, but things do seem to evolve positively, albeit slowly. I'm just a little ahead of you. I still can't walk long distances because my back starts hurting. I didn't have back issues pre-op, so I believe it's due to gait changes. It feels like it's twisting, and when I sit for just a moment it passes. Have you gotten new shoes? The old ones won't work any more!
Hoping your sports physio can help.

Thanks! My back sometimes feels like one hip is riding much higher than the other. Last month, my sister and I were walking, and I gave her my crutch. It was this "aha" moment. My back felt normal and aligned and my leg felt good...I felt like I was walking "normally". And then it was gone once I sat down. I wondered if other people are experiencing these milestones that go away and come back at a later date.
 
wondered if other people are experiencing these milestones that go away and come back at a later date.
Oh yeah.
The past couple of days I've had more pain in my knee, on the outer side. I'd thought it was going away......
 
Hi Suzi -- I definetly have days when I feel on top of my game, then have a day when I feel like I've gone backwards. Reading other's stories here has really helped me realize that most of us experience it and that it just seems to be part of our healing journey.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
This whole recovery journey seems to be two steps forward and one step back. It does take time, but you'll get there in the end.
 
@Suzibelle ,
Yes I definitely get some improvement and then seem to lose it again, sometimes I feel I am going in circles :sigh:
I feel like this changes from one hour to the next. Whenever someone says, "wow, you're moving well," I just tell them to wait 5 minutes.
 
Hi Suzi -- I definetly have days when I feel on top of my game, then have a day when I feel like I've gone backwards. Reading other's stories here has really helped me realize that most of us experience it and that it just seems to be part of our healing journey.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
Yes, my 60-something year old uncle made it sound like he was entering dance competitions 2 weeks after his partial. With that said, there are some people on here with scary stories of revisions and infections. I suppose I should make an effort to be more grateful. It's just that I can't say "I'm glad I did this" until I can move up and down stairs with ease or go on a long hike in the mountains. But today's milestone? Today while swimming, it was my non-operated knee that was giving me problems.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom