Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR SusieShoes' New Knees

I've heard/read that the frog kick used for the breast stroke is the worst (angles of stress) for new knees,
I've heard this too (most recently from Celle, I think). I asked the OS about this and he said that the frog kick wouldn't do any harm but might feel odd (same answer he gave for my question about kneeling). Sounds like that was @phrog experience as well. The OS and I did not talk about when in recovery it would make sense to try things like frog kick (or kneeling) but it sounds like one of those things that is best left 'til a year or so has gone by.
 
@phrog, I’ve taken part in a few aqua exercise classes, and those showed me my knees need to be eased into actual swimming. Water resistance is something they have to work up to. I’ve gotten this far by pacing myself, so might as well continue. :) I took one kick (hanging onto side of pool) and thought “Whoa. I need to build these babies up a little more first.”
 
@gertie, the kneeling definitely felt a little strange, but it worked and the knees don’t feel any differently for having done it. That said, it’s not quite there yet, much in the way stair climbing wasn’t quite there for a few months, until one day it was.

My OS said both kneeling and swimming would be perfectly doable. That was at my seven-week checkup. I said, “Now?” He said, “Yes. But you might want to hold off a little on the frog kick.” I did a little more research and decided to wait until my knees felt 100% before testing them out on kneeling and swimming.

I love what the frog and scissor kicks do for my thighs (anything that can trim them is loved) but for now the knees rule!
 
Try deep water running. I caution you to use a flotation belt. :snork: A bilateral knee replacement friend (2+ years PO) has been doing this with me before and after his surgery. He sometimes will add 1 1/2 # ankle weights. He says he feels that this has been one of the exercises that has helped him the most.
 
I remember my first visit back to the Y for a swim. I was 5 months out and thought it was time. Well, I did 1/2 of a lap and suffered for days after that. It was another month before I went back and I started with just walking until I built up to swimming.
 
A bilateral knee replacement friend (2+ years PO) has been doing this with me before and after his surgery. He sometimes will add 1 1/2 # ankle weights. He says he feels that this has been one of the exercises that has helped him the most.
Do deep water running by all means, once your new knees are old enough, but I think it's a good idea to avoid weights.
It's all too easy to overdo things in the pool, because the water supports most of your weight - but you sure realise you've overdone when you get back on dry land.

My kids were competitive swimmers. When one of them developed knee pain, the orthopaedic surgeon told him to avoid the frog kick in future, "because it is very hard on the knees."
 
I used to be a competitive swimmer - my first sport - and did miles of breaststroke over the years. It was sad when my knees could no longer frog kick, and then no longer flutter kick. I think if I can get back to any swimming I will be happy - and will be fine without kicking like a frog . . :swim:
 
Hi all,

When my knees became too painful to do the crazy cardio I did on land, I took up aqua jogging and even got my own belt. I highly recommend it post-op (after your incision is heeled and you are comfortable) as well. I even do my stretches after I'm warmed up in the pool. Heaven!
 
Six Months: Traveling and Grandchildren

This month I spring into grandma action. Most of the year I spend with Mr. Shoes and his Big Italian Family, but my own family lives elsewhere, primarily in Wisconsin. That’s why I will be in Wisconsin all of next week, and not very much on BoneSmart. My mother is getting on in years and looks forward to my visits, and I have siblings as well as children and grandchildren there.

I’ll probably post a report or two on how my knees are holding up. This will be their first trip through an airport and on an airplane. I will have a lovely time with dear old Mom, who had two knee implants of her own, and during which I will assure her (again) that I did all my PT, while Mr. Shoes outs me and tells her I did almost none. He’s suspiciously proud of that fact, as if it was his idea —which it wasn’t— ever since my OS praised him for his part in my recovery. His part was icing and putting up with my annoying sleeplessness. And laundry.

Still, I hope the knees will do well. Mom has agreed to have bags of frozen veggies, her ice packs of choice, in the freezer just in case. Middle son and DIL, who live in Wausau, northern Wisconsin, tell me there’s no snow yet, so I can’t count on just using some of that.

It’ll be really interesting, and fun I hope, to walk through the Milwaukee airport and around Wawautosa’s lovely Washington Highlands near where Mom lives. Cozy, almost. Over the river and through the woods...
 
Have just the best time, Susie. Visiting with much loved family is so good for the heart (and the knees! When my daughter and grandson spent a month with us this past summer, I enjoyed putting my legs up and just watching and visiting, and the walks we took were slow and casual). Joy, pure joy! Looking forward to hearing about how much fun you had - and that your knees held up in the airport.
 
Suzie, you know your knees and how they react. They will be fine and you'll have a great time!
 
Best wishes for problem-free travel, Susie.
Don't forget to arrive early, to allow extra time for security at the airport. Your knees will ring the bell at the screening archway, so expect to be wanded and patted down. If you can, go through the X-Ray scanner instead.

If you're going to be going through large airports, it might be a good idea to ask for wheelchair assistance - you walk a lot in those airports.
Here's a reminder about the other things you can do, to make your journey more comfortable:
Flying soon after surgery
 
If you tell them you are disabled, they will let you right through the line and through the xray machine. I haven't been since my tkr, but I did go about 8 months before and I was using a cane and they let me through along with Marilyn, who I said was my helper.
 
It’s been a hectic couple of days. Preparing for our trip to WIsconsin tomorrow has been easy enough. We’re experienced travelers. When traveling we live out of one carryon suitcase and a handbag. Easy-peasy.

But wouldn’t you know Mr. Shoes’ body decided the other night this was a fine time to pass a kidney stone! :sick: Ack! He was curled in a fetal position in bed and I’m thinking how I could help him and perhaps salvage our trip.

:dead:

Of course, the poor man doesn’t want to spend his vacation passing a stone. So I hauled out everything I knew about kidney stones and combined it with a little folk medicine from Bolivia (hey, that stuff is pure gold sometimes) and gave him lots of broth, water, a couple of my muscle relaxers, heating pads, and a few doses of chanca piedra. It’s a real thing. You can buy it on Amazon and in natural food/health stores.

I was running up and down the stairs heating pads and fixing broth, and just trying to make him feel better. Yesterday, he felt much improved after the medicines. He kept down his supper. And today he passed the stone! Whew! Much as I am perfectly capable of traveling by myself, I would have hated to leave my sweet man behind when he’s sick. Also, my family is so much easier to handle when he’s around. He’s quick-wittted, whereas I am not. Trust me, that matters.

Anyway, the trip is on! Tomorrow we head for the airport. :happydance:

The good news in all this: Knees held up like champs. :egypdance: All those trips up and down stairs (I’m pretty sure I did a mile of just stairs), running around town on errands, packing (down to basement for luggage and stored items, up two flights to where clothes live, back to main floor) were a piece of cake. No swelling as a consequence. No pain. I haven’t used ice at all for days. My back was complaining about being tired and overused, but the knees were good.

Tomorrow we’ll see how well they hold up to airports and Mom’s house. [Fun fact: running around airports is what I used to do on my old knees. Tons of traveling, plus I worked in an airport and ran around one every day. I’m an old pro at airports. The knees... are in for a test. :wink: But I walk two miles just about every morning, so I think they’ll be fine, even though inevitably the gate at both ends will somehow be at the farthest possible point from the terminal.]
 
[emoji175][emoji175][emoji175] your writing and your approach to PT and life in general! Thank you for sharing as I prepare for my RTKR in December.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
oh poor mr. shoes ~ that must have been awful ~ have never had one myself but hear it is extremely painful. good for you finding a natural way to treat this. so glad he can be with you on your trip. the airport will be a breeze for you, no doubt. have a super time visiting your family. hope you'll post a pic or 2.:flwrysmile:
 
ulk - so sorry about Mr Shoes' kidney stone - not something anyone would want to suffer through. Glad you were able to help him - and that your knees performed like champs. Have a great trip, enjoy the grands, and celebrate your pain-free knees. You will do great through the airports. Pat-downs will probably be part of your travel life from here on out - at least that has been my experience.
 
Have a great trip Susie! Your Grands will be thrilled to have you! And your Mom!
 
I hope your trip and visit go smoothly! We flew to Denver yesterday, and my ceramic knee didn't set anything off. I did ask for a wheelchair for between the two flights and will do so on the way back, too. We would have cut it really thin if I'd had to walk from one end of the airport to the other. Why, oh, why is the new gate always far, far away from where we land?!? [I thought it was just me that happened to!] Anyway, we had no problems at all flying. Even with the wheelchair, I think I walked at least 2 miles yesterday, as I didn't use a wheelchair getting into our starting airport, or out of the airport at the final destination, and then we had a lot of walking through our gigantic hotel, to dinner, etc. You've been a champion at walking, so it will probably be a piece of cake for you!

Kidney stones are the worst, aren't they? I'm glad your witchcraft with them paid off. I'm very curious about the aptly-named chanca piedra, literally "crushing stone!" Here's to not ever having to use it, but if the occasion presents itself, I will definitely give it a try. My brother got bit by a poisonous snake in South America, and an elderly curandera covered him with mud and gave him a mysterious concoction of herbs and who-knows-what. He was delirious for several days but recovered completely.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom