Guest viewing is limited

TKR Susie-Q's 2nd TKR Recovery Thread

Just in case people didn't already know this, baby knees are very temperamental and don't like extra activities too soon. ;-) I added a small walk around my house today, literally around the house from the back door to the front door, all level, cement walkway, slowly with my walker. It took 3-4 minutes total. Then when I tried to do a second set of exercises (I've been doing 2 sets a day for the past couple of days and been fine). I found my IT band was even tighter than usual. I stopped immediately. I can tell my knee isn't happy so it's just ice, elevating and resting for me, which is basically what I was doing but thought I would add a small walk today to get a change of scenery. :no-fin:
 
Isn't it crazy how the smallest addition of movement can drive the knee crazy?
Ugh, hope your flare up goes away fast!
 
Yes! I was amazed but am listening to my baby knee. I walk around my house (inside) all the time back and forth to the bathroom with the walker so I thought a walk around the side of the house outside should be a piece of cake. I guess it was just one thing too many today.
 
Remember, you are only 9 days post-surgery. There is still a lot of anesthesia in our systems and together with the ADL (activities of daily living), adding a semi-circum-home stroll is adding quite a bit of activity. I suspect you added in some 90 degree turns as well that may have triggered the IT band response. Take it easy tomorrow and perhaps even skip your exercises to let everything calm down. In a few days that half-stroll around the house should be easy-peasy.
 
A couple of things I'm wondering about.....

My last knee I seemed to have more ROM than this knee. My IT band this time is REALLY TIGHT. I'm wondering if it's because of two reasons, one or the other or possibly both.

Last time I had a CPM machine post-op. For those that don't know what that is, it's a machine you put your leg in on the bed and it slowly bends your leg to the amount you set it for on the machine. It gently stretches it a little bit further each session. I don't have one this time. The doc says they've done research and most people are at the same ROM at 3 months post-op whether they used one or not. Doc said I could order one if I wanted but I didn't.

I went into this surgery with less ROM than normal. Two months ago my knee just refused to bend much further than 90 degrees. It was as if the joint was mashed together (it probably was) and there was no room in there for the upper and lower bones to move anymore. So I've been unable to bend my knee for the past 2 months past 90. Wondering how this is going to affect my ROM going forward. I'm guessing it's going to make it tough and I'm regretting not ordering the CPM machine. It might have helped, but who knows? I don't know how I'm ever going to get that IT band to loosen up without lots of pain......
 
Susie, so sorry you are having the issue with your IT band this time. Let me ask you a question. As your left knee deteriorated, did you develop any valgus condition, where you tended to be more knock-kneed? I ask because I had become quite knock-kneed before having my knees replaced and did have a great deal of trouble with my IT bands on both sides - even with the CPM machine! What happened is as the knees deteriorated inward and the feet were further out, it effectively shortened my IT bands. Thus, after surgery and having straight legs again, there was a lot of stretching that had to be done. If this is your situation, I'm afraid you have to grin and bear it. One of the things my PT had me do was use a rolling pin on the outsides of my thighs to help massage them a few times a day.

I wish you well!
 
No, I didn't develop any valgus condition. My leg stayed straight, I just got to where I couldn't bend it as far as I used to. I'm hoping that because it was in this condition only a short time (2 months?) that it won't be a permanent thing. I remember when I first saw the doc and he had me straighten both legs and bend them he mentioned that I might not be able to get the left knee to have as much ROM as the right because it was already compromised. My extension is good, I seem to be at a 0. My right knee is a little hyper-extended at maybe a minus 2 or 3. I don't remember my IT band being as tight with the first knee but I do remember rolling on a foam roller during therapy on that right side so it's likely it was tight on that first knee as well. Time will tell!

Baby knee is feeling better today after lots of rest and icing. I'm still taking it easy today and not doing exercises. Just a few quad flexes while on the recliner and ankle bends.
 
I also had limited ROM before surgery and was told it was due to bone spurs. They were removed during surgery and suspect it added to the inflammation. When I'm on the bike I have some pain behind the knee. It is slowly getting better. At 3 weeks I can get a bend of around 90 after stretching.
 
I just looked up my old first post from 11 years ago. At 3.2 weeks post-op my ROM on the right knee was 95-100 and my flexion was 0. Today I'm 10 days post-op and my ROM on the left is probably 80ish and my flexion is 0. I guess we'll see where I'm at in another 1-2 weeks.....
 
Did too much again today...... when am I ever going to learn? :headbang:
 
Well, yesterday was my birthday. My son played with his band, my sister went and also a few friends of mine and they were very nice to send me video clips of them playing so I felt like I was there. I got spoiled by my friends. One brought me a mini orchid plant, another brought me lunch and a small bundt cake. My son made me one of his special "meals" and we did Door Dash for dinner from a local restaurant. I spent the day on the couch watching Tenet. What a crazy movie! The fam gave me some chocolates, a cute stemless wine glass (wine is on hold for awhile yet) and a new percussion massager! Don't worry, I won't put that thing anywhere near my new knee!

I slept fairly well last night. Still alternating Tylenol and Advil around the clock and 1 oxy every 4 hours. I have enough to get me to Tuesday and Monday I have my first PT so I will reorder more, knowing I will probably need it, at least for the first few PT sessions. I read somewhere to not take an oxy prior to PT so you know what really hurts and what doesn't? Is that true? I'm going to try gently doing my exercises today and if anything really hurts I will stop.

One day at a time!
 
Happy Birthday! You will be able to celebrate big with 2 good knees by the time you have your next one. I get my staples out tuesday and see dr on Wednesday this week. Really trying to do some stretches and get some flexion in this stiff stubborn knee before then. Will start outpatient PT the next week. I know all of this gets better but I am so tired of not being able to just walk outside and water plants and do other simple tasks we take for granted.
 
Susie-Q - belated birthday greetings! It sounds like your family and friends did a lovely job to help you celebrate, given current restrictions. By next year, you'll be dancing on the table top! :dancy:

True, you should not take an oxy before PT - for the purpose of minimizing pain from the PT. You want to be able to accurately describe to your PT what you are feeling and your response to any of the motions they put you through. And don't let them push too hard. If it hurts - ask them to stop. Your body - you're the boss. Please check ut some of the great materials in our Library about PT and what to expect and allow!
 
Some twing-y, achy, sore stuff going on in the middle of my knee when I get up to walk to the bathroom. This must have something to do with healing going on inside? Not sure I should do any exercises other than quad flexing and ankle pumps today. Icing and elevating on the reclining couch.
 
Day 14

It's hard to believe tomorrow will be 2 weeks post-op. It's gone fast but also very slow. Today my knee is feeling better. Trying not to overdo it but I am also trying to do little things myself. I can't just sit on the couch all day. So when I get up to go to the bathroom I will put my dishes in the sink, take something back to the bedroom (I'm going to the master bathroom mostly but realized I can use the guest bath now too without a raised toilet seat, we recently put in a higher toilet). Did one set of exercises this morning without trouble. I need to call tomorrow for more oxy as I will be out on Tuesday. I know with PT starting tomorrow I might need to keep taking it but hopefully this will be the last refill. We'll see. The bruising is fading a little bit but still there. I also took a shower and didn't need hubby hovering nearby (although I did notice he came back to the bedroom anyway to stay close in case I needed him) I'm still using the walker. Meal preparation will have to wait as anything beyond getting a quick snack is a maze of pivoting and turning between the fridge, sink, stove and counter. Dangerous! I'm not going to fall into that trap! Hubby will be back at work full time this week, although a few of those days will be working from home, I'm assuming. My daughter is off until Wednesday and my son will be around here and there. I really feel like the worst of the first 2 weeks is behind me now as long as I don't overdo it and take it easy.

It will be good to get out of the house tomorrow to go to PT. I haven't been out of the house for 2 weeks. I realized I haven't even been in the garage, which is 3 steps down from the laundry room. My wine fridge is out there and our extra fridge/freezer. Luckily PT is very close, only 5-10 min away. Looking forward to getting an iced Americano at my favorite espresso stand on the way. My son is driving me.
 
Happy belated birthday Suzie-Q. I am only behind you in surgery dates by a few days, day 11 today. Just love reading your thread it is so relatable. Cheers
 
Just took my oxy at 9:30 and I have PT at 11:50. Next dose will be at 1:30 so it should have time to wear off before PT starts.
 
Well, I'm not going to tempt fate by doing the exercises a second time today but so far so good on the PT exercises. She had me do some leg lifts and boy did I find out my quad is weak! I was able to do them but some new pains came in from the upper thigh and on the side. She said to only do one set of those a day, don't push it. I have been doing heel slides sitting in a chair and letting my heels slide on the wood floors but she had me do them on my back on the PT bench. When my heel went as far as I could do it myself, she held it in position while I did some ankle pumps, which brought an extra stretch all around the front of the knee and the IT band. It was painful and I expected to be in a lot of pain tonight but so far, so good. She never forced anything. I have some new standing exercises to do too. I will start tomorrow and do two sets with lots of time and icing in between. I've got nothing else going on tomorrow. I have a new refill of oxy if I need more pain meds but so far still just doing one 5 mg tablet every 4 hours.

She was impressed with my balance, I'm able to balance on my left foot without holding on to anything for at least 15-20 seconds. She said most people at 2 weeks post-op can't balance at all on their operated leg. Right foot I could do indefinitely...... My ROM isn't the greatest, 72 for flexion and 5 for extension. I'm sure over the course of the weeks they will improve!

:fingersx: and :praying: that tonight is pain-free!
 
The PT also noticed when I'm lying on my back I tend to let my left leg turn outwards, I'm trying to avoid the tight stretch of the back of my knee lying flat on the bench. So I'm trying to make sure when elevating that my leg is flat and not bent or turned/rolled out.
 
Back
Top Bottom