Surgery Selection

brindle1

Country
United States United States
Hi, I am having hip pain and will be needing hip surgery in the future. I have been to a few surgeons already and thought I had one picked out . My concern is when I looked on consumer checkbook, the surgeon I picked had a one star (not good) but surgeon recommendation was 8. Went to surgeon scorecard propublica this same surgeon has a 2.4 adjusted rate complication which is very good. I don't understand which of these sites are reliable.

I have been looking for a surgeon for a while now. I am in RI but am looking in Boston for a very good surgeon. I am very concerned because I have a mechanical mitral valve and atrial fibrillation. I am on warfarin for life. I am consumed with this hip replacement and been reading review after review on many surgeons at many different hospitals and seem to go backward instead of forward.

Anyone know the more reliable site? Has anyone out there had a hip replacement with a mechanical valve and afib? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

brindle1,
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us!
The rating sites can be confusing, ProPublica is Medicare patients only.
A surgeons rating may be lower because the take the most difficult patients, small sample size, old data, etc.
You have to put it all together with you impression, bedside manner, how your questions are answered etc.
You will want to know the number of THR's they do in a year.

Here is the pre op reading, it includes questions to ask your OS.

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Score chart: how bad is my arthritic hip/knee

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis

Hi Brindle. It is hard to sort through all the opinions from the little facts we have available to us as medical consumers. When it came time for me to choose a surgeon, I started by attending some of the informational talks several of them gave at the local hospitals. This gave me a good overview about THR in general, and opened up areas for me to know some of the questions I needed to ask.

Then I started asking about individual surgeons among friends who have medical ties. A nurse-anesthetist. Several nurses. A woman who works at the university med school. They emphatically told me to stay away from a couple docs. While everyone had a particular favorite, I ended up picking one that everyone agreed was a good choice. I was also swayed by the fact that I was told that he is the surgeon people pick when they need a revision. I figured if he had a lot of experience fixing the mistakes of others, he'd be likely to avoid making those mistakes himself.

Whether I picked wisely, or just got lucky, or both....who knows? As you gather more information and recommendations, at some point, narrow it down and try to arrange visits with a couple of your likeliest candidates. You will certainly want to know how they would plan to handle your preexisting conditions.

Good luck. I'll be interested to see your progress on this very important decision.

Sharon

Hello brindle 1...I am very sorry that you are facing THR and I believe that in time you will have it behind you once thru recovery, no more pain and back to functioning at a whole better level, along with better mobility. That is something to look foreword too for sure. And I wish you all the very best! It really does help you both physically and emotionally and effects your whole family.

In many cases the best surgeons are the ones that do many THR per year. Lots of patients and practice. Large Hospitals have special programs to set the patient up with pre OP classes and booklets to explain the process and home exercises, Physio therapy, prep for the home before surgery and aides available for recovery which are all included as well as after care. A major university teaching hospital in Boston would be a good start in the process looking for the surgeons. They have great OP rooms and recovery nurses. Hospitals are also rated for infections risks.The surgeon with the most experience has the skills for THR. Usually set up appt with a few surgeons and interview them . They are working for you and your comfort level and confidence in a surgeon with experience and a good relationship and is the bottom line. The surgeon must have a good team to get you thru the pre evaluations, surgery, medication,recovery and physio therapy.

The orthopedic surgeons association would be another good contact. Also check with your health insurance company for references. If you have any friends relatives who have had the procedure ask for references.

Good luck...

Has anyone out there had a hip replacment with a mechanical valve and afib?
You will probably need to get clearance from your cardio doctor before proceeding with surgery. If that doctor agrees you can proceed please don't worry. Staff in operating rooms are used to dealing with these issues and will monitor you very carefully.

Has anyone out there had a hip replacement with a mechanical valve and afib? Any help would be appreciated.
Jaycey is correct in her advice. And also that we (staff in OR) are very accustomed to have patients with all sorts of conditions, so please don't worry about it.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Alwaysknitting
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom