surgery scheduled for tomorrow at 11:00 a.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the kind and positive thoughts! It is nice to know we are all in this together
 
sure hope both of you can get some sleep tonight. I have butterflies in my stomach just from thinking about it.
you both will be in recovery before you know it! That's the best part about surgeries. we are asleep and have no sense of the time. best wishes!!
 
@Doodles51, I'm watching for your recovery thread, too! You'll be doing the THR shuffle in a few hours, then walking, then who knows!!! It's a brand new day for you, say good-bye to all that old hip pain!
:yahoo:
 
Fingers crossed you are out the other side now and progressing well
 
I can't believe it was 2 weeks ago at this time I was going into surgery. The days are long (especially when you can't sleep at night) but overall time has gone quickly. I am having more healing pains but have not taken more than Tylenol since I've been home. Trying to use the cane more but feel awkward using it. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not ready for it or I'm focussing on the cane rather than walking. PT starts Monday so I can see how I am doing and get into more activities. I feel less confident in my left hip than the new one. I can't believe in 6 weeks I'll be doing this all again. The swelling in my leg has gone down a lot but still swells as the day goes on. I hate the numb foot feeling. I hope all of you recuperating are doing well and those pre surgery are not driving yourself crazy with "what ifs". It is no where near as bad as I imagined. Love having this group. It's hard to deal with everyday issues with family when they don't understand all the "side effects".
 
I practiced using my cane before surgery as I knew it would be the only way I could be successful after. I found a video on YouTube that explained how it works and it started feeling a little more natural after I practiced the movements I saw there. Made sense once I could visualize it.

You're doing great!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Doodles! glad to hear you are doing well with your recovery.
Will be interesting to hear how your PT goes and if they help you with your cane woes.
I use mine frequently now-pre op- so maybe there is a perk to having to use it now.
Take care and keep up the good work. Re: family not understanding the side effects. My husband has a track record of being a very poor nurse when I've needed him in the past. I used to get so upset but then I had to realize that it's not his thing. He just doesn't get it.. He's an only child and never had kids of his own, he is not familiar with hovering and helping.
I am strongly considering having a nurse aide come in to help me the first 5 days. Especially since my husband teaches at the University in the evenings and I will be alone. That way I am not irritated or upset with him and I will get the help that I need.
Hopefully it won't be a huge expense.. I plan on checking into it tomorrow morning.
 
@CricketHip The bad male nurse must have something to do with being an only child -- mine is also. But so is my 20 yr old son home from college and he has been a great help especially the first week. That would be great to have someone with you the first few days. My surgeon requested 4 nurse visits 2 a week for 2 weeks that was nice to have for any questions signs of infection, etc.

pt is going well. The cane makes my original hip hurt lol. I am practicing today on walking on my own. Seems awkward because I am so stiff from waddling for 2 years. Pt said the can puts more strain on original hip so o what feels best. Less stress w walker but I'm getting tired of rolling that around the house. Back to pt tomorrow and I will keep trying to walk on my own.
 
lol @Doodles51 Glad your son was a big help! My husband promises to be better this time around, he had surgery 2 years ago and now he says he understands how much the help is needed and appreciated now. but I did talk to the Home Instead company and having an aide come in for 4 hours here and there was affordable. I feel better knowing I have backup.
That makes sense about using one cane.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom