Bilateral THR Surgery Complete - 2/24/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry about not posting for a while...I've been crazy busy during my recovery working the logistics for selling our house and setting up our military transfer. Our sequence has been hectic with surgery/recovery, selling our house (closing in April, thank goodness), setting up plans to travel to VA to look for our next house, get our household goods packed, find a temporary place to live for two months here until kids finish school, etc.

Anyway, enough about that and my recovery is going great. At the two-week mark, my surgical assistant removed my bandages/dressings and WOW, that was a huge step. I'm healing great and with my dressings and most of my steri-strips removed (no sutures were used), I was free to take a shower and get the area wet. Any remaining steri-strips could be washed off. I was on my pain meds and using a cane for most of the second week and since I was home, I was up and about as much as I could be. The insurance side took a few days to catch up so I didn't start my outpatient PT right away and I had a few days off. During this time, I had several hours a day where I felt good walking around carrying my cane and doing stairs as needed around my home. However, when going out to a store or other errand with my wife, I was beat after about 30 minutes and would go back out to the car. Still waking up every couple hours at night with significant sweating.

Fast forward to the three-week mark this week...I am full-on in outpatient PT and they're working me quite hard. Lots of air squats, balancing on foam pads, step ups, etc. It's all good for me as this is the kind of stuff I need. Hips feel great and my biggest challenge is the loss of stamina/muscularity that makes the work challenging. I'm sweating my butt off in rehab and joking with the therapist about "What injury do I need to have where I can just get my muscles rolled out and maybe a massage?" The therapist does spend some time using a thumb to massage/press out my incision areas so they don't bind to the below-skin muscle and become too tight. During this third week, I drastically cut down on my pain meds, taking them only at night and using ibuprofen or Aleve during the day so I can drive and prepare to go back to work next week. Still only sleeping a couple hours at a time, but able to turn to my side a bit easier. I need to get a knee pillow to ensure proper separation of my knees and alleviate strain on my hips in bed. I'm so sick of trying to sleep just on my back but still need to be careful of how I roll over and sleeping on my stomach isn't comfortable yet.

I'm a couple days past the three-week point and now feel comfortable going out without my cane. The past few days have seemed remarkably better in that regard. I made it out to my son and daughter's lacrosse games just prior to the three-week point, and felt strong enough just after the three-week point to go and watch my son's 2-hour practice. My normal/natural gait is back and my military doctor (just saw him this AM) can't believe my progress. I'm definitely not ready nor will I attempt to run anytime soon, but walking feels good. In PT, they have me warm-up on a treadmill, and I did 15 minutes at 3MPH yesterday. I think I'm ready to rejoin my wife on nightly 3-mile walks around our neighborhood.

I still have a little swelling in my incision area but it seems to be gone from everywhere else. My core needs some activity to get back to where it was, but I have lost some weight/size that I had gained prior to my surgery when I could barely walk and didn't get any activity in.

The biggest thing is that at no point post surgery have I felt nearly as awful as I did for the months/weeks leading up to my surgery. Hip pain was gone immediately and the main pain came from the surgery itself and not from the parts that were installed. Overall, the most uncomfortable thing as a bilateral hip patient was sitting down on a toilet as the angle is tough on two sore hips/incision areas. Equally uncomfortable was the effort to overcome the pain med side effects (e.g.- constipation). Thankfully, I expected that and my wife would sneak me a diet/cleansing tea each night that helped put things back on track. Going back over things, icing your hip(s) and resting are key for the first several days post-surgery.

That's about it for now...heading off to PT in 20 minutes. Good luck!!
 
Hi @lando622 I am a little more than 3 months out of Bilateral hips here... Just saw where the amazing MissMoo tagged me but I hadnt been on in a while. I'm at work right now, but will check back later. Meanwhile, read through my drivel on pre and post op and see if you have any questions. I'll be happy to answer what I can. I'm only a few years younger than you, I see. Will check back later!
 
Hey rob3dr,
I read through a good chunk of your thread...great stuff. I saw varying opinions on the value of PT and in my case, PT has been a big help in jump-starting my return to normal activity. I intend to be able to run again, but definitely won't push it too soon. I'll give it at least a few months and follow my surgeon's instructions. As I'm 3.5 weeks out from surgery, I just recently (past several days) started leaving my cane behind as I feel I no longer need to have it nearby. I went to both my kids' lacrosse games over the past week without any issues and I walked around the Ft. Lauderdale Auto Show yesterday afternoon with no issue. After dinner last night, I rejoined my wife on an evening walk around the 3-mile loop in our neighborhood...first time I've done that since well before my surgery. As I hadn't taken any prescription pain meds for the past day or so, I definitely felt it in the last mile of the walk. Not "pain" but definitely "discomfort" and it was more in my glutes than in my hips. I took some pain meds afterward as it was nighttime. I also started using a real knee pillow last night as I find myself turning to my side more often now that it doesn't hurt to do so. Between the long walk and the new knee pillow, I had my best night of sleep since before my 24 Feb surgery. I was still up several times, but they were more spaced out (2 hours or so) and it was just to go to the bathroom as I've been drinking a lot of water...I wasn't getting up due to sweating or pain like earlier in my recovery.

At the 3.5 week mark, I think my swelling is gone or at least minimal now. I'll be going back to work late this week and am fortunate to have had the time off to recover/rehab.

I also saw different opinions in your thread on bilateral versus one-at-a-time hip replacement, and speaking from a bilateral experience, it was the totally right/best thing for me.

Good luck in your continued recovery.
 
@lando622 yes, sir... we all seem to heal differently. I noted my left, which looked far better post surgery, gave me far more trouble than my right... and in fact, still is. PT for me was a waste, but that's not to say it wouldnt be beneficial to others and I hope I didnt come across that way.
But the bottom line is you are through it and well on your way to being 'you' again and that's a good thing! Nice when we can get back to doing the little things, like the 3 mile walk and even putting on socks without looking like a contortionist.
Have fun rediscovering you and good luck!
 
3.5 weeks out of surgery and doing 3 mile walk! :shocked: Easy does it my friend. It's a marathon not a sprint. Glad you are starting to see the benefits of this surgery.
 
@lando622 Hi fellow Bilateral. I had mine July 2 -14. Looks like you have a nice road ahead. In my opinion you should do what works for you ( pt, meds, rest , driving, ect. ). I'm in my eighth month post op and i played slow B-Ball the other day and felt great to be outside. Remember, the bone has to really be solid before running, you don't want to be doing a revision. Good luck.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I go in Wednesday for my Bilateral. :dubious:I stopped taking my Celebrex last week and the pain come on full force, then took it for the last 2 days and I'm feeling little to no pain. I feel like someone's playing a trick on me. Getting nervouse because I don't want to have more pain than I do now after going through all of this. Did any of you stop antiinflamitory meds or pain meds before surgery to find your true "north" ? Do you think I should stop the celebrex and pain meds before I go in? Doc said it didn't matter. Good news..... found out I'm getting spinal block and Iv sedation. :) No anesthesia

Any suggestions or words of encouragement?
Sorry for the rambling, I'm a bit jittery with the day getting closer.
 
One other question. Did you use a walker or crutches for bilateral? I wouldn't think cane, because it would favor one hip and throw off your gait.....?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@catdemar Hi, You are going to be feeling great! I used my walker for the first 4-5 days.Each day you do a little more or less as your hips let you. Outside i used the strider poles and this way i had two supports and balance when i walked. Take your meds, You don't have to be in pain for these next few days. You need your strength for the surgery. Hope all is well.
 
Hi @catdemar
I am the most nervous person in the world! Many others have described themselves as the most nervous on Bonesmart but amazingly we all come out the other side to tell the tale!!

I feel for you, a few days time and it will be over though. I had to stop thinking about it, going round telling everyone "I am fine" I felt like a zombie - could not be in touch with my feelings..... then it was all over and the roller coaster began! x
 
@copsham @Michegon thanks for the advice.
I guess now the big thing is I am the last surgery of the day and I can't drink any water until after surgery. Could be as late as 3:00pm. I hate to not have my water with me. :( I'm more nervous about that than the surgery right now. ....sure that will change.
 
Awesome report, @lando622
I really enjoyed reading your story. Very informative and funny! Best of luck during the rest of your recovery. !!
P.S. That cold therapy device was the best investment they could've suggested! I love that thing!
 
@Blessed1 I bought 2 ice machines since I am having both hips done at the same time. They said only keep on 20 minutes at a time....I read from someone here they kept it on 24/7. What do you think as long as I'm careful not to burn skin?
 
Hey there @catdemar I keep mine on most of the time as well. As long as your skin is protected I don't see the harm in keeping it on. My orders were 1hr on 1hr off and continuously while sleeping.
I told my nurse that I keep mine on and she said that was fine.
That machine is amazing :-)
 
so glad to see that u are doing so well .... I have my bilateral done on 9/11 . i only hope i recover and do aswell as you have .. best wishes in the future....
 
Hey everyone, I got a notice that someone replied in my "old" thread and wanted to say "hi" and good luck to everyone recovering as well as those whose surgery is coming up (jettaboi73).

I'm right at six months out now. Walking and all activities feel fine. I'm not running yet as I tried short distances at two months out for two days and it didn't feel right. I am so much better for having had the surgery, but I am a little gun-shy about getting down on the floor and even bending over at a certain angle...going below a certain angle feels OK, but not holding a part-way down position. I want to gradually start short distance jogging again as I really feel I need the cardio. I have a rower and an elliptical, but I want to run. I will try it, but I won't get crazy in pushing it like I used to.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom