THR SuperPath RTHR - done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Horseshoe I had a huge bruise. Never had a bruise that big on me before. There was definitely pain in the hip area and there still is some discomfort today. If I push into the hip area with my hand (where I speculate the implant is), it is still tender. It's not perfect....yet. It's interesting that my biggest pain issue these days is with my other hip. I was hoping (as was my surgeon) that by fixing my right hip I may receive some benefit in my left hip. Yeah, that's not the case. I still can't say that I'm in less pain today than I was prior to surgery, but the pain is very different. Today it's muscle and soft tissue pain in both legs and hips plus my left hip is feeling worse with the whole pinching and bone on bone pain. Hopefully that didn't sound negative because it wasn't meant to be. I fully expect to be feeling great by the end of this year.
 
Thanks @doubledip . You don't sound negative at all and considering what this surgery entails, pain and bruising is to be expected, it's seems more manageable than pre op pain. I'm also holding out small hope that getting the worst one done first will alleviate pain for the second. That would be great if your second leg calms down, it's probably like getting a front end alignment on your car, it affects both tires :snork:
 
It's been a while since I posted so here I go. My replaced hip is doing well. If I move incorrectly I get a sharp pain in the area of the replacement, but I believe it's slowly getting better. My biggest issue these days is the soft tissue pain I'm experiencing in both legs. I'm an impatient person and I expect things to get better sooner than later. Hip flexor pain on both sides is just driving me nuts. I'm still at the point where I can tell that my original hip issue is no longer a problem but it seems like I'm in just as much discomfort because of the soft tissue pain. That being said I'm not having any fatigue issues anymore and I am able to get around better than pre-surgery. I'm about 2 months out from my other hip being replaced. Stabbing pain in my other hip and pinching in the groin has been more prevalent recently. Life is a bumpy road at times but I believe once my other hip is done I'll be a new person. Look out 2017.
 
Wow! Just read your thread loved your updates and info. Im assuming you are having the same method on the other hip? I will be having it as well but not until January, as the dr is "super" busy. haha
I hope to have as great of a recovery as you did. ;)
 
@Tweetybrd Chow is doing my other hip as well. Be prepared if you're on the on-call list. I was originally supposed to get both hips done on Sept. 12th. They had a last minute cancellation which allowed me to do my first one on May 6th.

At my post surgery appointment with Chow I met a guy in the waiting room around my age. He was in much better shape than I and I asked him why he was here. Turns out he had a hip replaced in 2013 and he was in for his annual checkup. He told me that he was swimming 3 days post-op and hiking some mountain on day 8. He said he came into the surgery in the best physical condition he could muster - grinding it out (so to speak). I'm trying to go into this next surgery in better shape.
 
Yes, I am on the on-call list and they told me I was a great candidate if they had a cancellation because I have no other medical issues. :) I just got another cordizone shot on Thurs so I would be out for three months if they called but there was no way I could make it without it and he told me to go ahead.

Holy cow! you were going to get both hips done at once? I cant even imagine. I have read a few post of people who have done that and they seem to do great.

I have that same thought of making myself in better shape now. I have been doing way more sitting around the last two years then I have my whole life. I figure the long wait will give me plenty of time to eat right and hopefully do some stretching and strengthing of my legs. Have been looking up things to do from the floor as I cant stand just on my bad leg.

Thanks for the tips!!
 
One month out from hip #2. I can't wait to get it fixed. I have the pre-surgery testing coming up in 10 days, then a trip back east to drop my daughter off at college, one more week of work and then surgery. Counting the days and looking forward to having my other train wreck of a hip fixed. Life will be good!
 
Yay! I imagine that month will fly by!
I just reread your thread and have a few questions. Did you have general or a spinal? How long did you do PT? You talked about getting off of the meds, how long did it take you to not have to use them?

Good luck on the second hip :) I will be thinking about you and am looking forward to great updates.
 
@Tweetybrd I had a spinal. I actually didn't know what type of anesthesia I was getting until I got there. It was one of those things I forgot to ask.

I started PT on day 11 post surgery and I went typically 2 days a week for the next 6 weeks. The soft tissue pain was rough and my PT provided some relief. What was interesting is that as the soft tissue pain began to subside I was given strength exercises to get my muscles to engage. Doing the exercises caused more soft tissue pain. I called my PT and told her I was going to hold off on doing the strength exercises and any further PT until after my second hip was complete. I've only been walking for exercise this past month. Hopefully everything will be aligned after my second hip is complete and I can work on strength exercises.

I went through 120 of the 5 mg. Oxy meds. First prescription was for 80 and the second was for 40. The first 80 lasted about 2 1/2 weeks. I didn't think I'd need any more meds but soon realized that I couldn't sleep at all at night because of pain so I got another 40 which I used in the evening and prior to bed for the next 2 weeks. So about 5 weeks (including a few days in the middle when I didn't take any meds) and I was good. I still take Etodolac which is an NSAID.
 
Hey @Tweetybrd - I'm high-jacking doubledip's thread to give you a glimpse of my SuperPath experience. Mine was done 7/28 and I had my follow-up yesterday. I used the oxy by the clock for close to the full first week...but started subbing 500mg Tylenol..the last two days (I was prescribed 100 pills.....plenty remaining) I told the OS at our first meeting that I didn't want to "see, smell, hear anything about the operating room"....and I didn't - so I had the full general anesthesia. Anyway, the 'saran wrap' covering was removed yesterday and I have an incision about 3" long.....and a little 'spot' (where the drain was) and absolutely no bruising. I am feeling like the walker is 'getting in my way and holding me back' so I have permission to 'kick it to the curb'.....but now that I do, I'm scared. I also have permission to drive (since I have been off the oxy for so long) - but again, I will practice with DH first. I still have some limited precautions - such as full bending, no lifting more than 5# for right now, and take stairs slowly and not 'foot-over-foot' right now...especially coming down the stairs. Must wear the compression stocking on the operated leg for one more week!
 
@doubledip Thanks! I appreciate all the details so much! What about sleeping? Where you restricted to your back? Did you sleep in your own bed?

@Nana2-8 Yay! Thanks! I am definitely in that "need all the info I can get " stage. I am so glad you are doing so well. So you are really only 2 1/2 weeks out then correct? I have been watching your recovery and learning so much. I am still planning on making colored ice packs soon. hehe What about sleeping for you?

I thought of another one. What about the implants that you two have?


Thanks again! :)
 
@Tweetybrd - about sleeping....I've been set up on the family room sofa since day one! I do have a firm cushion over the regular 'squishy' sofa cushions, then a full length soft towel (think plush beach towel...that's my bottom 'sheet') I have been on my back since surgery....but not really. More propped against one of those 'student'-like back cushions. I never had a wedge between my legs in the hospital, so didn't at home either. I just used the toss pillows from the sofa to elevate - ramp-like - my leg. One of the first questions yesterday was: When can I sleep on my side? I can now, with a small pillow between my legs. Haven't had the guts to try it yet!

As to the implants? Your OS will explain what he will use. Mine is a metal head, plastic liner-cup, metal ball and then I think a titanium "corkscrew' - which I affectionately call it. You'll see it and get to handle it when you attend Joint Academy......and I laid claim that it must weigh "at least 23 pounds"......so we get to deduct that from the scale from now on......right? Right? ~ ~ Now, get on to those color-coded ice packs. I just cleaned out my freezer of all but three today. Keeping, just in case, the quart size blue one, and two think green ones.
 
@Tweetybrd Titanium alloy and polyethylene ( aka plastic). I had no restrictions. That being said i was not interested in sleeping on my operated hip initially because it hurt. It took a good month before I attempted to sleep on the operated side. Chow mentioned that I would likely experience a lot of inflammation because of my young age (First time I've been called young in years). I certainly did have inflammation and bruising. But chow also found a bunch of bone spurs that he wasn't expecting so he had to do some extra grinding and reshaping inside.
 
2 weeks 'til hip 2. I'm ready. Just moved my daughter back east for college at Holy Cross. Thank you athletic scholarship! Yes, a little bragging if you read between the thin lines. The next two weeks at work are going to be intense with the project we have going on. Then it's time for me to heal and time for the talented team that works with me to take over while I take it easy for a while.
 
@doubledip Just wanted to check on you and see how you are doing. Wow! Sounds like your daughter is talented! Hope she does wonderful at college.
Good luck with your surgery on Monday! Let us know how it goes. :)
 
@Tweetybrd Thanks for checking in. My surgery got postponed until Wednesday so I have to wait a couple extra days. I just have to reset my brain to work mode for a couple extra days.
 
@doubledip Well two days is not too much longer but yes kind of have to shift your mind around it. LOL
Hang in and keep us updated. :)
 
LTHR went well. Two down none to go. Got out of surgery around 1:30pm on 9/14/16 and released to go home on 9/15/16 @ 11:00am. I have to say that I feel much better this time compared to the last time. Minimal swelling in my left hip. I'm using my walker but I'm pretty sure I'll be on to the cane quickly. My left hip feels completely stable which was not the case with my right hip out the gate. The pain is less as well at this point in time. Good signs but I know how things can change quickly on the pain side so I'm cautious but confident that I'll have a better recovery than the first time. The Dr. told me that this procedure was straight forward and there were no surprises this time around. I'm pretty sure my first surgery took about 30 minutes longer than this one. That's all I have for the moment.
 
Yay! Glad to hear everything went well. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you. Get some rest.:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom