BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

SuperPath and Hip Dysplasia

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Mersada, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Mersada

Mersada member

United States United States
    Thanks for he advice @Layla -- I will try not to read too much about the complications. It does scare me.

Hope you have a great weekend!!

2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi Mersada,
    I think of you often when I venture over on the pre-op side. I hope you're hanging in there and not hurting too much. Hate to think of you trying to get through the daily grind and suffering. At two yrs out, I still recall those days. Wishing you a happy Sunday and a good week to come.
    @Mersada

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Mersada

Mersada member

Hi @Layla, Thank you for thinking of me. I am hanging in there. I have my good and bad days.
    Still lurking the boards. I hope you have a great week!!

4. Layla

Hi Mersada,
    Noticed you on the forum. Thought I'd say Hi!
    Hope you're having some good days intermingled with the bad until your ready to schedule surgery.
    Sounds like you'll be well prepared which is good. I hope you have a nice Sunday evening and Fourth of July holiday. Hang in there, you'll know when the time is right. :wink:
    Thanks for your contributions and being a part of the forum!
    @Mersada

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Mersada

Mersada member

hi @Layla , yes, I'm still here lurking and adding some feed back when I can. I like to participate, even though I'm not quite there myself. Things are ok some days and some days not so ok...but, pain level is not that high, it's just not comfortable walking too far. I will have to deal with it a little while longer...hopefully, it just doesn't get worse to quick. I appreciate you checking in and saying hello.

I have added this website to my favorites so, I check in everyday to see if I see anything new. Trying not to read the posts of people with complications, so I don't get to scared or even more than I already am.

Hope you have a great week. It stinks that July 4th is a Thursday, I have to go in on Friday since I don't have the seniority to be given the day off...a lot of people at my job longer than me. I guess it's good to atleast have a day off and break up the week. Enjoy your 4th! ...and have a great Sunday!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. leejaa

leejaa post-grad

@Mersada, have you spoken to your doctor about a handicapped sticker - these can be temporary for 6m but renewable for those days when walking is hard and you have to drive somewhere. I found I needed it more pre surgery than post. I see you are on Staten Island so do not know how much driving vs mass transit is in your daily routine but I thought I would suggest this.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Good instincts, @Mersada, not to read the difficult recovery stories. Unfortunately, I suspect folks who are struggling probably post more as they're looking for help and support, and I agree that reading their stories can feel daunting and overwhelming. But there are definitely folks out there (I count myself as one!) who really did have very manageable recoveries. Was it "fun"? No, but I was really surprised at how quickly I was mobile, the fact I had very little pain, and was able to get on with my life in pretty short order--until this second pesky hip decided to act up! But I am feeling philosophical about getting this second one replaced, knowing that the first time around, despite all my anxieties and fears, it wasn't that bad at all. Do make sure you read some of the "good" recovery stories. There is absolutely no reason that one of these couldn't be yours when you finally have the surgery. Hang in there, your day will come! Best wishes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  8. julesglass

julesglass graduate

@Mersada get the handicap sticker and enjoy parking with the cool kids. I got mine I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mersada

Mersada member

I applied and got denied. I didn't appeal because the os that completed the paperwork for me is not the os I will be using for my surgery. They wanted 2 exam notes and a description of the xray and what not. I just got fed up and gave up. I don't see an os regularly to get 2 exam notes. They said I can't try again unless my condition worsens.

10. Mersada

Mersada member

@Barbaraj thank you for your words of advice. I wish you the best on your next replacement, you have a couple of months to go. I hope your is one of the success stories I look forward to reading. I understand most who have good outcomes leave the boards or don't write at all. I get that...it's still scary when you see some of the difficulties though...just makes you worry a little bit...especially when every os I saw told me my hip is a bit complicated. Complicated to me means things can go wrong. I guess I will cross that bridge when I am ready. Thanks again.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. julesglass

julesglass graduate

That's a heap of hay... Go figure that out. Guess it goes by state or district for handicap sticker.

12. Barbaraj

Barbaraj post-grad

Even if your hips are "complicated", @Mersada, that doesn't mean your recovery will be complicated as well. Sure, the OS may spend a bit more time over your surgery, but I don't think that automatically means a complicated or difficult recovery. And worrying that it might will serve no purpose. At the risk of sounding very Pollyanna-ish, I think you should concentrate on the things you CAN control in your life. Make sure you are eating healthy, that you move every day within your limitations, that you reach out to friends and family to make sure you're emotionally nurtured and have supportive folks lined up to help if needed when the time comes. Really believe that you will do just fine and I think you very well may surprise yourself--you'll be one of those success stories that you and I love to read!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  13. Layla

Hi @Mersada
    I truly understand it's easier said than done, but unless any one of the surgeon's you met with felt they couldn't handle the challenge of more "complicated" I'd try not to worry. If each is willing to perform the surgery that tells me they not only feel confident in their ability to replace your hip, but also have confidence in your potential to recover without incident. You're young, healthy, have a support system and will be well prepared. Trust and have faith / confidence that all will go well when the time is right.
    Here for you always :friends:
    Happy 4th!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Layla

Hi @Mersada
    You crossed my mind as I'm perusing over here on the pre-op side.
    Just want to say :hi: I hope you're enjoying the Summer!
    We've cooled off here and the dewpoint dropped considerably. We've had two glorious days that feel more Fall like. My favorite time of year.
    Take care and stay in touch! :wink:

15. Mersada

Mersada member

hi @Layla, thank you for thinking of me. I am still here lurking the boards...checking out what's new.
    My summer is ok. I am limited in what I can do, but I have to deal with that for now. Glad your enjoying your current weather. I prefer spring and fall myself. We had a lot of rain this summer.

Hope you have a great weekend. I will be here reading and lurking.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good to hear from you @Mersada
    Hope your weekend is relaxing.:SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Mersada

Mersada member

Thank you @Mojo333 hope yours is too!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I know you are soldiering on, but I'm guessing when all comes together...Layla and I will be your biggest cheerleaders.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mersada

Mersada member

Awe, thanks you guys, I appreciate that @Mojo333

• Friendly Friendly x 2