• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

SuperPath and Hip Dysplasia

OP
OP
Mersada

Mersada

Country
United States United States
Thank you @Mojo333 I was reading some of her threads...I can totally relate. She mentioned something about scratches from her cats I didn't think of. I get scratched by one of my dogs, too.

As I'm reading her posts though, I also see she is in much more pain than I am. I have no trouble sleeping at night or walking around the house, it's walking distances that I have pain with which is why I want to push surgery a little further ahead. Plus, the financial aspect...I was never a saver and now I have to save enough to keep me a float for a couple of months. I am working on that, too.

Thanks for the tip though....I totally get her panic...I am there now. I see she had her surgery, though...I haven't gotten to read too many of the post op messages. Did she get the anterior she wanted? No os will do that on me. My hip is "complicated"...that is what has me anxious.

Mojo333

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You know, I'm pretty sure it was posterior...I know where has hoped anterior but you know our take on that by now...your surgeon knows best which approach.
@allena
Did you have posterior approach?

I sure know how financial pressures can be so I am guessing you are worried about the time you will need for recovery.
Remind me...how active is your job?
I hope you have a long time of no real interruptions in daily activity with this hip...if the time is helping you get prepared.
We new hippys are super enthusiastic about the surgery as we want everyone to be able to get theirs fixed and get life back to Full Swing.
Hopefully allena will pop by.

Hope you have a good day @Mersada

allena

graduate
Country
That is true.I was petrified actually.It was my first surgery on top of everything else.I went to two doctors.If my hip had NOT been dislocating i'd have never had the surgery.In my case it was lupus that expressed itself as severe arthritis(among other "fun" symptoms).First the hip wore out,then inflamation started pushing it out.I don't mean to go on to long-I'm just saying I know what a somewhat dislocated hip iike.It took almost two weeks for my hip pain to go to a more modest 5-6 on the pain scale and 3 weeks to use a cane.My hip hardly hurts anymore and i can walk a modest distance now-enough to go run my errands and do my usual daily activities(even though i do get a bit tired and sore).the worst thing for me is the no bending past 90 degrees rule.It's possible you may ot have that one.I hope not.If you do ask me what you can do.I have figured out how to do my laundry for instance.
It was so bad before the surgery that I could barely walk and I had to use a wheelchair.
I hope nothing I have said has scared you.I know it's not anything you are likely to believe(I didn't),but it's not as bad as you are thinking it will be.

Last edited:

allena

graduate
Country
@Mersada .I am glad you aren't in too much pain and can walk distances.That's really good.thank goodness i have medicaid and medicare.I hope things work out the best way possible for you.

OP
OP
Mersada

Mersada

Country
@Mojo333 .I had the anterior lateral approach actually.I didn't say that though.oops.

Thank you for your input. I find your threads very informative....I am feeling similar of what you felt prior to surgery. Why did you have the 90 degree rule with anterior?? I thought you didn't have it with that approach. HOw do you fee your cats?? I have two dogs I am concerned about.

allena

graduate
Country
You're welcome.I'm glad it was informative.The reason is because it's anterior lateral.the lateral approach involves cutting a major muscle.I wish it had been strictly anterior .That would have been so much better-not to mention I would have had a smaller scar.
I put their food and water bowls on the coffee table.I don't have to bend too far that way.
I can see why you are concerned.It's possible you could use a grabber to pick up their bowls.I'll see if I can come up with a work around.If they are big dogs you could put the bowls on a low stool or some such thing.

OP
OP
Mersada

Mersada

Country
I see....I didn't realize about the lateral. I was hoping for anterior or superpath myself...but, no one will do it on me. .

My dogs are little...20 pounds and 8 pounds. I guess I will get plastic bowls and start practicing with the grabber.

I am so glad things are working out well for you. Your writing is more calm in the post op threads. I am exactly you in the pre op lol.

I can walk about a block before I start feeling dull pain it can get up to a 6 or 7. That's why I am procrastinating. However, it's stopping me from traveling which I love to do. The last cruise I was on walking the length of the ship was hard. The excursions were tough too...the walking all I had on my mind is when will I get back to my room to rest this hip. Ports can be long walks to where you need to get to...and I wasn't about to be put on one of those scooter things...to embarrassing. That's the thing that the hip is holding me back from that I want to do.

I am preparing though...I have a few thousand saved up to carry me through the months...but, I'm cutting it close.
I don't want to be late on any payments. I have quite a few debts and my credit rating is excellent and I want to keep it there. It's just another worry..amongst the rest of the what if something goes wrong and I'm worse off. Right now, I can manage somewhat with just avoiding long walks.

Again, thank you for sharing. Atleast, I can see the positive of the after math for you.

allena

graduate
Country
You should have two grabbers. a regular lightweight one and a heavy duty one.You will drop you're grabber at some point.Also a heavy duty one is good to pick up a bottle of water or a smartphone.If you don't have a back scatcher get one.They are useful for so many things.You can use them to pick up certain items with them-say a dropped shirt.You can use one to get dressed.
I am sorry you can't have anterior or the other approach.That sucks.
I'm glad i gave you some hope.I know you can't be more scared than i was.that isn't possible.

allena

graduate
Country
I'll be seeing my os on thursday.I figure it won't need to see him for awhile after that.I am not sure how long after that,but I will find out.

Lea61

Country
Hi @Mersada, I was just catching up on your thread and I know you had asked me about precautions (on my thread). I had the posterior approach. My surgeon sends out a packet explaining things to know before having surgery. There's a page on "discharge plan and instructions" and this is what it says: "unless the Dr. specifically provided instruction, you Do Not have any movement precautions with regards to your hip. Although guarantees against a dislocation do not exist, the hip was noted to be sufficiently stable in surgery eliminating the need for substantial precautions. Your therapist will review any needed precautions with you."
In my situation, already having had a dislocation, I absolutely followed the posterior precautions (of using a pillow between my legs when lying on my side, using the raised toilet seat, not sitting on low chairs and trying not to pass the 90 degree rule when bending), but it was a comfort to know that I really didn't have to. I have used the golfers bend (I think that's what it's called), but it doesn't work well for me because it puts too much demand on my left hip and causes me pain.
When PT comes for your home visit, they will definitely help you with figuring out the things you want to do. My (home) therapist always asked if there was anything I was having difficulty doing. When I wanted to be able to sleep on my side but was afraid to make that movement, he helped me learn how to safely get on my side, with a pillow. The therapists are very helpful with things like that and are not just about exercises. Also, like Allena said, the grabber is the best and having two is very helpful because you will drop it! Once I even had both on the floor, (so used the golfers bend that time) ! Since I have two floors, I keep one on each floor. There are so many things to use the grabber for, including getting dressed.
Have a good time at the concert tomorrow. Is it in the City? Hope you're taking Friday off (LoL)

OP
OP
Mersada

Mersada

Country
Hi @Lea61 Thank you for sharing your experiences! I was concerned about the 90 degree rule...since I have dogs to feed.

On a disappointing note....my handicap placard was denied. If I want to appeal I have to go back to the os and have him give me two exam notes and they want xrays of both hips but, they don't want discs (how do they expect the xray then...a print out from the computer??) They also want measurements of my legs. I don't know if I pursue it or not...seems like a big pain in the butt. I do need one--walking a block is painful and parking by bay st. is not easy.

My concert is tomorrow at the kings theater in Brooklyn (Flatbush), not the greatest of areas but the seats are good. I am deffinitely taking Friday off...so, is my sister so, we may do lunch on Friday, as well. She--Toni Braxton-- is also going to be at the prudential center this week...but, I didn't want to trek to Jersey. The King's theater is a smaller venue, so it's better seating. It will be my first time seeing a concert at that theater. Hope I find close parking.

Hope all is going well on your end, sounds like it is. You're a month away from your next surgery...will be looking forward to hearing about your recovery.

I was reading in the recovery post some negative stories, I have to admit...it scares me more...the what ifs. I hope my next consultation can put some of the concerns at ease. I feel like what if something goes wrong...like more pain after the fact. Well, let me not start rambling. Hope you have a great weekend!!

Last edited:

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Stopping by to say Hi, Mersada.
Sounds like you're going to see Toni Braxton this evening. I hope you have a great time and find a parking spot close to the entrance.
Enjoy your extra day off tomorrow and lunch with your sister.
Stay warm and have a great weekend!
@Mersada

Lea61

Country
@Mersada .... hope you’re having a great time at the concert and glad you have tomorrow off from work.
Im so sorry you were denied the placard for parking. Did you request a permanent one or temporary? If you requested permanent maybe you could reapply for a temporary....it may be easier to get. I did not provide any xrays, just sent in the form completed by my MD.
I know what it’s like to have to walk to work with a painful hip; sometimes I had to park two blocks away and I was always carrying bags with me for school. I even ended up getting a bag on wheels cuz I just couldn’t do it anymore.
Enjoy your 3-day weekend !

OP
OP
Mersada

Mersada

Country
Thank you @Layla -- The concert and the day off were wonderful. I have Monday scheduled off, too so it's a 4 day weekend for me. Parking was a block away, which wasn't bad, I used my sisters arm as balance....don't like using a cane, yet.

@Lea61 -- I just requested the parking placard from the DOT. I don't think it's a permanent one, you have to renew every 6 months or year. I sent the form my doctor filled out, too. I don't know why they denied it. The determination states "medical documentation presented does not support finding of a permanent disability seriously impairing mobility." I guess I will try an appeal...see if that works.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Layla

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Mersada, Nice to hear you enjoyed the concert and day off work. You still have two more days before your return, yay! :yay:Sounds like you lucked out with the parking. It's great you had sis's arm to hold onto for the walk to the venue. I don't blame you for the way you feel about the cane. I didn't use one pre-op either, just didn't want to. I hope you have a nice Sunday and Monday off doing whatever brings you joy.
@Mersada

Top Bottom