Stiff knee NC
Insider
- Joined
- Nov 9, 2019
- Messages
- 316
- Age
- 69
- Gender
- Female
- Country
United States
United States
United States
United States
United States
United States
United States
United States
United States
United States
United States

I think my move to the new house in February, plus all the work on the old house in March, was actually a Godsend. It forced me to use the knee more all of Feb/Mar/April---and I was surprised at the good results, even if the ROM was severely limited at the end of the day. My surgeon agrees I need to not baby it as much as I did up through months 7-8. If I do too little, I seem to get more pain and stiffness, just like if I overdo it. I think I've finally found a happy medium though. I keep adding more strength-training in baby-steps, and that seems to be a better way for me to advance in my fitness....even if slowly!!
Now that I'm back on the healthy food and exercise wagons
, I'm afraid of the left knee getting too bad and needing replaced sooner than I wanted. It's not in the best shape arthritis-wise, but I DO NOT want another TKR anytime soon. We're hoping for two vacations next summer (2021) to make up for 3 ruined summers in a row with knee surgeries and COVID-19. We want my 14-yr old to enjoy some trips with us before heading to college in a few yrs.
This all just weighs on me though, and I'm afraid to push the good knee too far and have my left knee revolt.
He knows the he** my right knee had been through, and he knows the arthrofibrosis/scarring situation I dealt with before in 2015-16 (from super aggressive PT) and following the other surgeries with no aggressive PT. He likes to remind me I'm kind of in a category all my own and to be patient. He said he's seen continuing improvement through that 3rd year post-op, so DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! I don't know where you are stuck in terms of ROM or if it's just a nagging, tight feeling you're fed up with.....but there is still plenty of time for improvement. He gave me hope, as he's seen a handful like me before in his 20+ yrs of TKR revisions and primary TKRs. I once had a normal knee arthroscopy on this same knee take 10-11 months to get back to normal in 1998, and nothing was done inside except explore and see if there was a problem (one wasn't found)....so I know I am a super slow healer and fit no mold.
It is what it is, and I have nothing but time ahead of me to see what happens.
United States
United States
Luckily, I know we CAN vacation now, as long as I keep Lefty happy until next summer. We decided with 100% certainty today that we aren't even going to attempt a trip this summer. My son has a respiratory disorder, so we don't feel like chancing it.