Hip Infection* Sudden pain 2 1/2 years after hip revision

Oh my stars:console2:
I do so hope you can hang in there for a few more weeks.
It's going to work out and what a sensational story you shall have.
Wishing you all the best:beg:

Hi @Whoknew
Great news on the PICC line and being on track for the 23rd, if all continues to go as it should. Prayers to that end. I'm happy to read you escaped to the mall for some fun. I'll bet it was a wonderful feeling to be part of the world again!

It is nice your daughter comes to visit but that she also balances the time by keeping up with her best friend. Possibly she needs that balance to remain strong and supportive of you. It may be her re-charge mechanism kicking in, we each have ways of renewing our strength. Some thrive on being amidst lots of action, while that depletes another. I'd be happy she's able to engage without the guilt in leaving you for a time.

I hope your stomach issues resolve soon and that all settles with your leg so there is no need for injections, heightening an infection risk.
Wishing you comfort, peace, health and wellness.

Yes thankfully my girls balance their lives...much better than their mom lol! I am afraid if the infection risk with an injection. However that heel was totally exploded when I was hit, is bone on bone and I have no padding left on my heel so without surgery on it the injections are the only way I can function without excrutiating pain . I generally go to New York City to the Hospital for Special Surgery for the shots but that’s not an option now. The pain clinic at the OS’s office evidently does them but as I’ve had no luck with shots there I’m Leary. Uggg. Will discuss w my OS when I see him. And yes it was wonderful to be in public around people and enjoying some retail therapy although I did tell my aide not to let me buy any more sweaters lol!

Thanks! Off today for pre-op visit with primary care doc. Next week is pre-ops at Hospital, cardiologist and OS. Keeping fingers crossed!

I hope you have a great day and best of luck with your pre-op appt today.
Stay in touch, we're here for you!
@Whoknew

:fingersx::fingersx:
Double fingers crossed...
Hope today is a Good Day!:angel:

Well they were able to do a hip!!! Yay. Pain was really rough yesterday but was able to walk to bathroom ok. Today did 5 steps, exercises and walked the whole floor no problems. Biggest issue is pain control and making sure I follow precautions. The staff here is great. They remember me from first surgery and have been so kind! Face is flushed a bit so hoping no fever now. Bled a lot during surgery but so far no transfusion.

Great news! Congrats on the hip :happydance: It sounds like you're doing well too! :yay:
Here's some reading material for you. The good ol Recovery Guidelines.
Keep in touch so we can follow your progress. I'm happy for you!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Whoknew

Great news! :yes!:
I'm glad you are moving around...
Hopefully they've got the pain better managed!
Don't push it too much...when exactly did you get the new hip done.
We will add it to your signature:happydance:

Still having drainage from surgical site and dr doesn’t like to discharge patients with drainage “what comes out can also allow stuff in” so looks like I’m here for another night. At least the staff here is wonderful so that’s good. Pt is going well, walking ok, have done 10 stairs at a time and a number of different exercises which are slowly bringing back my leg which after 4+ months in mostly a wheelchair has lost most of its muscle tone. Slow and steady. They are not believers in the more pain more gain theory of pt which is good. Ty all for the kind thoughts

Hey @Whoknew :wave:
Thanks for the update! You're doing well.
Better be safe than sorry with the drainage. Hopefully it stops soon.

Will you give us the exact surgery date of your revision so it can be applied to your signature?
Thanks in advance.

I hope you have a great day! Safe travels once you're finally discharged.
Keep us posted. We're here for you.

:wave: Sorry you haven't been discharged but Glad they are taking precautions.
You won't want to have to travel to check on a potential problem.

Sending healing hugs :angel:

The revision was done October 23rd so it’s been 5 days now. Still have good amount of swelling in the hip and still s little drainage so until that’s stopped I’m here. Oddly enough my neighbor had surgery yesterday at same hospital and she’s in room next door do I was able to check in and see how she was doing! Waiting for ortho dr to do his check in as the pain med they have me on is making me nauseous so hoping to change to different one. Off to do a short walk.

Hope you have a better day @Whoknew .
:console2:

@Whoknew Sounds as if you are doing well and hopefully that horried little drainage will stop soon, great that your pain is controlled and you have got a neighbour to cheer up,glad they are keeping you well looked after. Hugsxx

Ty all. Pain under control and dr changed it so managed to eat tonight. Took another little walk and then have rested as The surgery kicked my butt lol. Staying positive as what I’m dealing with compared to where I was the first time I had surgery is so much better.

Hi :hi:
Great news you're staying positive. That's the way to be!
I'm happy to hear your pain is under control and you have an appetite.
I hope today is a good day. Stay in touch.:SUNsmile:
@Whoknew

Cutting back on pain meds as my blood pressure is running low and also know that my dr won’t prescribe high doses once out of hospital so have been in more pain today. They also have that “lovely” affect on the bowels which has been an issue. Of course I’m up and walking every couple of hours which also isn’t helping the pain although I need to move.

Waiting on dr to see my incision to find out if he will discharge me today. It’s a week since surgery and I would really like to get the heck out of here!!! Darn incision I think may have finLly stopped oozing, although that was before I was up and moving around today. Keeping fingers crossed.

Wondering if you're finding ice helps at all with the pain?
Hope it eases for you and your incision closes so you can be discharged.
Best wishes for a good day!
@Whoknew

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Denton1224
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom