Sudden pain >1 yr post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is a little different then, my pain is in the front of the thigh, and I feel like I have no muscle strength left whatsoever. I was also doing so well, I thought … now this horrible pain in the knee, almost right where the arthritis pain was, like a knife stabbing me right there, and the pain running all the way up the thigh, into the groin area.
I wonder if the hip is involved, I have pain when I push the flesh right where I think the hip joint is. I have been reading about hip pain, and it seems it can take all sorts of strange locations to hurt.

Wish I knew what to do, I really don't want another surgery right now … :(

Hope you feel better soon Sandy, keep us in the loop!
 
I hadn't thought of going to your physical therapist. It might be worth it to try to get in if you can see them before that doctor finally gets you in!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Barb, that burning pain in the quad could well be referred from your hip. I’m going to ask Dr. Wixson when I see him Mon. if my symptoms could also be due to that: when I complained before my LTKR of aching outer thighs, he performed the same maneuver--with no pain--that now causes me such sudden agony. He said at the time that meant my hip was okay (and there was no clue on the MRI, although the films carried a disclaimer that they were taken strictly for instrument-fitting rather than diagnostic purposes). Perhaps I should ask for a hip X-ray--unless it’s already been ordered (appointment sequence protocol is check-in, x-rays, nurse consult, then surgeon). I notice that when I stretch my hamstring I get that “catching” pain--but an actual injury such as a strain or sprain would produce swelling and constant pain, wouldn’t it?

Out of the blue, my insurance company’s nurse phoned me Friday about my upcoming (formerly routine) appointment. I told her about the problem that had developed and asked her whether I should see my PT or even chiropractor/naprapath. (In two deep tissue massage sessions, he once cured an iliopsoas strain that my FP had been sure was either a groin pull or a hernia). She replied that at this point I should see what my OS says. If it’s something that can be treated with PT, there’s a PT clinic as well as a chiropractor at the same office. Meanwhile, I’m slathering on arnica and Voltaren gels as well as Icy Hot roll-on. The Flector patches didn’t help; they're frightfully expensive and, like Norco, I’ll save them for when my back goes blooey (it works wonders for that). A glass of Mumm Cuvee Napa Brut Reserve, plus getting elbow-deep into arranging a dulcimer song for tomorrow’s Fox Valley rehearsal, has helped by distracting me.
 
After a long haul that reads like one of those medical mystery “Think Like a Doctor” columns in the NY Times, I finally have my answer: primary partial tear of the gastrocnemius muscle where it attaches to the femur. OS made the diagnosis by observing & palpating some posterolateral swelling which I couldn’t (because I don’t have eyes in the back of my head), putting my knee through various maneuvers, and palpating deep spots that nearly made me hit the ceiling. No infection, loosening, fracture, or impingement. No surgery, nor need for MRI, either. Unfortunately, no quick fixes: using cane, gentle calf stretches, sitting with leg up, taking Celebrex and getting up from seated position VERY slowly and carefully. And lots & lots of time. (sigh). He confirmed icing is of no use, since the damage is too deep; and that topical NSAIDs don’t penetrate that deep but do get absorbed into the bloodstream. He says if I get temporary relief from menthol & arnica gels (due to cooling sensations), no harm there. He said if it’s any consolation, I’m a rare case. Causation was probably cumulative increased activitiy coupled with advancing age.
 
I am glad you have an answer, and your implant is fine.
Sounds like your recovery is going to take awhile for the muscle to heal.
Sending good wishes your way!
 
Sorry to hear about the tear, but glad it isn't related to the implant or that you need additional surgery. Patience Grasshopper…..
 
Actually, I’m more relieved that it’s neither “pain of unknown etiology” or “complex regional pain syndrome,” two diagnoses that sometimes confound doctors and even carry a connotation of a chronic-complainer (or worse, “drug-seeking” patient). There may be nothing much I can do about it besides wait and avoid doing anything stupid, but at least I have confirmation that it’s neither psychogenic nor a low pain threshhold.

So I’ll be playing Fox Valley Folk Festival on Labor Day--and getting around the grounds by hitching rides on the VIP golf carts. And our Vegas vacation is back on--provided I get wheelchairs in the airports (which means only Bob gets to sit in the exit row). As for the Bar Show, they can assign me a lower-floor dressing room and less dancing. Fortunately, no limits on driving. As to that, my FP is willing to sign an HC placard application to replace the one I let lapse (my OS didn’t mention it this time), but I wonder if by the time the placard arrives I’ll be healed. Besides, the placard’s former major perk is no more--everyone has to feed meters except those who can’t work them (or the smartphone payment app).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree….it's much worse when they can't figure out what's causing the pain. Just so darned frustrating when you had been doing so well! Are you able to take it easy at all with your performance coming up so soon? Side note: drove my daughter home last night and thought again how lucky she was to be living in such a great neighborhood. It was already about 8:30, so didn't want to bother you, but someday….
 
I’d have defrosted another steak or pork chop, as the grill was already hot & ready. And I’m a night owl.

I’m taking it easy as much as possible (downside is that I’m no longer used to being this sedentary and thus have to be more careful about diet). I’m scheduled to play the Edgewater Farmers’ Mkt again on Sat. Aug. 23--might be comfier to stand up to perform, using a keyboard stand for dulcimer. 10am-noon.
 
Where is that Farmer's Market located? I'll have to tell my daughter! I go to our local Farmer's Market every Friday. After next week, however, I'll be back to school. We start the 18th!
 
The Edgewater Farmers’ Market is on W. Norwood between Broadway and the alley immediately to the west--centered around True Nature Foods. There is also an Andersonville market on Summerdale between Clark & Ashland every Wed. afternoon--I don’t play there but there are even more vendors. Your daughter would love it!
 
I'll have to tell her about them. She won't be able to go to the Andersonville market since she's working during the day. We're hoping she can get a car next Saturday…she put a deposit on one two days ago and it should be delivered to the dealer mid-week. About a month ago, her street flooded and she had about 4" of water in her little VW Beetle. Insurance company totaled it, so she's been relying on the El and friends. I'm thankful she lives so near to the EL and that she is in a very walkable neighborhood. Had she still been in Park Ridge, I don't know what she would have done.
 
I guess I spoke too soon. I took a nap late this afternoon (lying on my left side) and was awakened two hours later with sharp, electric-shock-like zapping pains along the area of my left IT band. They seem to come out of nowhere and happen every few seconds, in bunches several times an hour. Oh goody. If my gastroc strain (if that’s what it is) was rare enough to stump several doctors, then from all the forums I’ve read with hundreds of posts with this exact symptom there is possibly no discernible cause.

I’ve found that while there are lots of attempted explanations there are no definitive diagnoses (almost every poster had negative MRIs, X-rays, ultrasounds and even EMGs). And the suggested solutions (almost none of which worked) ranged from the logical to the utterly ridiculous (such as bizarre diets, shaking one’s leg, and even, uh, manipulations of one’s genitalia) to the potentially stupid and tragic (discontinuing one’s cardiovascular medications without doctors’ permission). Some had great results from gabapentin, some no relief at all. One common factor seemed to be newly strengthened muscles (via activity) that had then been allowed to lie fallow. (Those mile-long walks on vacation followed by being sedentary at home, perhaps)? One constant, though, was that none of them had had TKRs. I’m the outlier in that regard.

So while the diagnosis of gastroc strain may hold (after all, my OS is one of the most highly regarded by his peers in Chicago), this latest IT band-area zapping may be something else--perhaps an irritation caused by all that diagnostic palpation, or totally unrelated such as my borderline glucose finally creeping up into diabetic territory causing neuropathy or my low-carb diet causing gout. Time to see my FP again. One thing is for sure--with either or both pains I am in it for the long haul and will have to figure out how to live with it.
 
Thanks, Pumpkin. That’d explain the new IT-area pain, except the admonition to “wear looser clothing” doesn’t apply, since once my (apparent) gastroc tear occurred I’ve been wearing only dresses & nightgowns (above the knees) because it hurts too darn much to maneuver my left leg into pants. (Shoes too--hallelujah for sandal weather). I’m already on an antidepressant (>20 yrs), but it might be worth asking my FP about Lyrica. Couldn’t hurt to pick up some B-6 tomorrow at the pharmacy when I’m picking up the rest of my Celebrex scrip. I’m still wondering about generalized neuropathy since I sometimes get those zapping sensations in my left molars (dentist says there’s a nerve close to the surface) too; that’s why I’m gonna watch my glucose and A1c like a hawk.
 
I have Meralgia Paresthetica, and wear loose clothing, I think that recommendation is generalization. My Meralgia Paresthetica has gotten better since this last surgery. I think because I sleep with my legs elevated taking pressure off of the inguinal area.
I think monitoring your DM closely is probably the best thing you can do for your health.
All the best with healing that torn muscle, they take their own sweet time healing.
 
Thanks, Pumpkin. The nerve pain is much better today (knock wood, no attacks during the night or today). Most likely the nerve over the IT band was irritated for awhile after all that poking & prodding. Just the same, I’ve added a daily B6, which will also help with weight control.
 
Glad to hear you had a diagnosis, and that it's nothing drastic going on, but sorry about the new pain. I finally made an appointment to see doctor, this Tuesday. I will probably just see his PA. But at least I can ask my questions, my list is similar to yours, and I also follow a low carb diet, actually now completely grain free, and I've been forgetting my supplements lately.
My doctor told me several times that the healing process can take up to two years, sometimes longer. I take no pain medication, none. Only lately, for special occasions, like long shopping trips or taking care of my grandson, I will take a few pain relievers, like Tylenol or Advil. But I refuse to take anything stronger. Maybe that's my problem. I guess inflammation is difficult to determine, for a layperson, or is there a simple way to find out for sure?
Both knee caps or that general area behind them, is painful and makes creaking noise, when I get up from sitting now. And the right thigh muscle is definitely weak/hurting badly when I get up or try to raise my leg. No pain at all when sitting or lying down.
Will have to see what they say on Tuesday.
I don't remember now, and don't have time to read all the way back, but did you have a noticeable "ouch moment" when you think you might have torn the muscle? Because I do, and it's the same place I injured a few weeks after surgery, when I lifted the right leg to place it in the CPM - it feels just like it did back then, but I didn't have the luxury of sitting around, icing and elevating, I know I'm on my feet too much, carrying heavy things, not getting enough rest right now … sigh…
 
Both knee caps or that general area behind them, is painful and makes creaking noise, when I get up from sitting now.
I just saw my OS with a similar complaint, he said I have scar tissue under my knee cap. Your OS should be able to tell you what is going on, and give you some exercises to help reduce the scar tissue.
@Dulcimer Diva , How are you doing this weekend?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom