Sudden pain >1 yr post-op

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Pumpkin - that makes sense! As a matter of fact, I just remembered that is what the PT told me it was the first time, scar tissue - but then why the extensive pain in the thigh muscle … anyway, if there are exercises that can help, I'm definitely going to do them - anything to avoid any kind of additional surgery!

Diva, do you think perhaps you have some nerves still healing/connecting and the new pain may be caused by that?
 
I didn’t really have an “ouch moment,” other than I was fine when I got into my recliner and had pain on arising--first in the anterior medial (inside front) part of the knee and then a few minutes later it shifted to the posterolateral (outside back) upon flexion and rotation. I didn’t feel a sudden tear or anything like that; but it happened too suddenly for scar tissue to have been the cause--I had done plenty of walking at altitude in CO the week before, including very long walks through airports, with no pain whatsoever. It’s so bad now that I’ve had to reapply for a HC parking permit due to being ordered to rest it and use a mobility aid (I hope I don’t have to revert to non-weightbearing or to crutches or a walker). And my right kneecap feels stiff and sore because that knee is bearing the brunt of stair-climbing-and-descent. I hope I don’t end up bilaterally laid-up!

I am going to consult my chiro/naprapath, per United Healthcare’s home nurse’s suggestion--he is more attuned to soft tissue than is my OS. Maybe see a different group’s sports medicine ortho as well (to avoid ruffled feathers at North Shore). And though I know that sometimes there can be artifacts in an MRI from the presence of metal, it still makes sense to get as much objective diagnostic info as I can. (Arthroscopy would be definitive, but it carries the danger of nerve and implant damage as well as infection--and my OS doesn’t do them). I fear if all I do is rest and stretch, this problem may become permanent.
 
Perhaps delayed reaction, or pain, as you did all that walking and carrying - it's possible, I think? I have an ace bandage on the right knee now, and it feels much better already. Not sure if that would help your situation, it sounds a bit different from mine.

I also read SFSailors thread about his clunking knee, he described it as "clunking knee that vibrates all the way up to his hip" and it also resonated with me.

Pain is difficult to describe, but reading all the different descriptions has made me feel better, as it doesn't seem to be bone or implant, but rather soft tissue and or ligament/muscle issue, in my mind, much easier to handle with rest and icing and elevating …

Hope you get your answers, and I will post about my doctor visit on Tuesday. I know I've been overdoing lately, it's easy to do when you feel good. I hate that I have this pain now, when all was going well.

Hope I'm not hogging your thread, but it seemed the place to post this, as I felt we had this in common. I might go post on my own thread, haven't been there in quite a while. ;)
 
Not hogging my thread at all, Barb. What you have sounds like it could be your quad--the burning pain could even be lactic acid (which is what makes our muscles “burn” when they get fatigued). I tried an ACE wrap, but all it did was cut off my circulation--when I loosened it it had no effect. Ditto a neoprene sleeve. I might try sleeping in an immobilizer (I have a whole collection of ‘em by now) to keep me from rotating my knee when turning over.

E-mailed my chiro/naprapath, and just heard back. He says before he touches my leg I ought to get a second opinion from either a sports medicine ortho or a physiatrist (physical/rehab medicine MD)--he suggested one of the latter up in Skokie. I’ll call him tomorrow.
 
I think you're right Sandy - the quad is burning, I just took an Aleve, and after wearing the bandage yesterday, seems to be somewhat better … not sure. The pain has traveled up higher now, and it's more of a pulling in the upper thigh.

Hope you're feeling a little better, I think I waited too long for a doctor to do much, it's a healing process, and can take weeks and months, to the best of my knowledge. I would cancel the appointment, but my daughter insists I go. Guess it can't hurt.

The "catching" in the interior knee cap area is a bit better too, not as painful, but still noticeable. I have a sneaking suspicion that carrying my grandson around so much, has caused a lot of this pain. Makes me so sad, because he loves to be held by me, sometimes reaches for me, instead of his Mom, which doesn't always go over too well, but is irresistible of course, and I don't know if I can stop doing it any time soon. I will get a knee brace today and see if that helps. Esp. when he's around, and I am walking stairs etc.

I'm glad you are reacting faster than I did, I was still working full time when this happened, and just couldn't get myself to take time off, for myself. Very foolish, I know … but sometimes life just gets too hectic, and we neglect ourselves.

I'm interested in your dietary advice too … do you post in the social area about low carb? Are you paleo or just doing your own version of low carb. After reading Wheat Belly I went grain free, and then Grain Brain came out, boy oh boy, did that one make sense, esp. watching my family, with so many physical and mental symptoms of grain consumption - just unbelievable what we are doing to ourselves, when it comes to food in this country.

Look forward to hearing what they recommend going forward, but I think your OS pretty much nailed it, which what I'm going to hear tomorrow, as well. Rest, elevate, ice (or moist heat perhaps) … medicate!
 
Well, my muscle strain (if that’s what it is) is deep enough that icing and heat won’t help--rest (avoiding further damage rather than ameliorating the existing damage) and internal anti-inflammation (Celebrex, turmeric) are the primary modalities I’m following. It’s a little better this morning, but I feel the improvement, if any, is going to be slower than incremental. Still waiting to hear if my OS will sign a temp. HC placard app--he’s reviewing my chart. My FP told me back when I had my last physical in late June that any time I decide I want a placard that he’d be glad to sign. (I had boasted to him of having let it lapse. Pride goeth before a fall...or a strain, it seems).
 
Hope you are getting along ok, Sandy. I have to say that between wearing the ace bandage when walking stairs and carrying loads, one Aleve in the morning, and just resting and staying off my legs more again, I'm feeling much better. There is still some remnant of pain in the interior side of knee cap, not sure what that's about, but this morning I had a thought, maybe my grandmother in heaven sent it to me … but she used to say "injuries hurt more when they are healing" so my hope is that whatever is going on in there, is healing pain.

I do have a very optimistic and positive nature, for the most part.

I skipped the doctor yesterday, I knew they had squeezed me in anyway and I would sit there waiting forever, so called late Monday afternoon and cancelled. No problem. If I feel it's getting worse, rather than continued improvement, I will just reschedule at some future time.

We have a beach trip to our condo planned first week in September, and I sure would love to be pain free for that. Whole family is going, so at least I don't have to worry about carrying stuff. I will just flop down in the sand with a good book, and enjoy the late Summer sunshine and ocean breeze, one last time this year. So good for body and soul …

Have you found out anything new? I have pretty much narrowed mine down to a loose, or somewhat loose, implant and easily damaged ligaments. I can do that sideways lateral swing, not sure what to call it, but when standing, moving leg from side to side, it clunks and moves … no pain, just a weird sensation that it's loose. Found some of Maryo52's posts on this and realize there probably isn't much they can do, except redo. Not for me, not now!

We shall see, I look forward to hearing about your adventures with OS and PT … I scheduled a good massage before my trip, just to get my muscles loosened up and will ask her if she thinks my quad is atrophied. Another possibility why the clunking and no strength in that leg. I massaged those aching "trigger points" in my hips yesterday too and think the pain has dissipated … she showed me how to do that on my shoulder years ago, and I have done it many times, getting rid of excoriating pain there. Forget what she called it, but she said she has saved people from shoulder surgery, by just pressing on those painful areas, right in front of the shoulder joint, do you happen to know what I"m talking about?? lol … take care, Sandy, and hope your recuperation doesn't take months like mine, but also hope you can take it easy and rest up and let the leg get better on it's own, all those medications and surgeries aren't all that healthy either.

Best ~ Barb. ;)
 
Post script - pain is all but gone this morning. I walked stairs last night, just to see how it felt, and I think the muscle is recovering already, from a few exercises I've been doing, like just quad contractions, while sitting on the bed. I used to have great muscle strength in my legs, and they say muscles have memory … hope to wake them up to what they were at one time!

Also, have dropped a few lbs - water mostly - and I wonder if that makes the difference for me? Effusion, as Maryo52 calls it, I have lots of water retention in general, the tightness is gone right now. Just took a shower, and notice less swelling in both knees. I am going to take Aleve and bandage again, before I head out today, just to be pro-active, and ice and elevate when I get back.

Do you retain water easily? Could it be part of the pain problem? Have been eating strictly protein and good fats, like avocado and Kerrygold, also coconut oil, eggs, rib eyes, pork chops, heavy cream in my coffee - for a few days now … that always gets water out of my system quickly.

Really hope you are feeling better too, and sending you good vibes!!
 
I’ve always retained water, but even so I didn’t get this injury until after I had abruptly ramped up my exercise (especially at altitude) and then nearly as abruptly ratcheted back to a more sedentary pace once I’d returned to the flatlands. It was over 3 weeks and I’d barely noticed any improvement. My OS signed and submitted the temporary HC permit.

Suddenly, about 3 days ago I discovered that though my flexion was still limited I could turn over in bed without screaming (just wincing semi-silently). I began to be able to climb stairs alternating feet so long as I adopted a wide stance to avoid too much flexion. I noticed that my walking stride was getting a bit longer and I was using my cane more for equilibrium and pace rather than having it bear most of my left-foot weight. By yesterday I was able to climb and descend stairs carefully, alternating feet, holding on to the banisters. (Still doing one step at a time if I’m hauling wine up from the basement or groceries up from the garage). Today I was able to play both hours of the farmers’ market standing up. (It was very hot & humid, though; and I sort of felt a bit faint after loading my car back up and shopping at some of the stalls--I’d had nothing to eat since a middle-of-the-night “cheat” of Cheerios & almond milk due to insomnia; though I’d drunk two bottles of water, I’d had less than an hour of sleep). I was literally soaked to the skin with sweat by the time I got home; and I lost 2 lbs. in the past week.

Come to think of it, my improvement seems to have occurred as the weather got warmer. Or as my husband says, because I’m getting a HC permit again. (Better to have it and not use it than to limp painfully from the farthest reaches of the parking lot next time an injury resurfaces).
 
I think you may be on to something when you mentioned altitude. Two summers ago, one year before my TKR's and experiencing lots of pain in both knees, I went with a friend to Estes Park, CO. While hiking around Rocky Mountain National Park, I felt 20 years younger! Absolutely no knee pain! I thought I had found the Fountain of Youth. My friend on the other hand, (also has arthritis) felt much more pain than usual. I felt great the whole time I was there and for two days upon my my return Home. After that, I reverted back to having sore knees. Intrigued, I did a some research and found that air pressure made a huge difference.....in some people, like me, the pain all but disappeared. Others, like my friend, had an increase in their pain. I'm wondering if the high altitude air pressure had something to do with your recent pain????


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Interesting theory about altitude.
I have found my knee feels better at lower altitudes, we live at 5,000 ft.
Wonderful news that you are healing. I agree best to have the HC permit and not need it, than not have it and need it.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
@Dulcimer Diva
Glad to hear it's improving Sandy!
Can't imagine keeping up with all of those playing engagements with a hurting knee; would be difficult.
 
Sandy, I've been very remiss about checking into Bonesmart and was so sorry to read about your pain episode today. Glad to hear things seems to be getting better. DH and I are planning to camp out in our travel trailer Labor Day weekend and come to the folk music festival since we enjoyed it so much last year; however, the weather may be putting a crimp in our plans. He has to use an electric cart to get around, and rain is predicted right now. He can't use his cart in the rain. We're watching the forecasts and hoping we'll be there. If we are, we'll definitely look you up.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom