THR Struggle has been real!!!

@Mojo333 @Layla @Elf1
Hi gals... well it was a rough 3 hour surgery the cup was loose he replaced and the stem with a longer stem and added an additional screw to secure... he had a time with cracking the femur to get the old stem out and he fractured my trochanter bone so I also have some cable wires
I am in still in hospital with some tough restrictions and it’s the third day... which I was told in past that’s the toughest day and I am surely having it
I have had 4 hours of sleep since Weds
Thanks for reaching out

:flabber: Oh my stars...I sure hate to hear you are having it so rough.:console2:
Sure hope everyone is being good to you, and keeping you as comfortable as possible.
Sending healing hugs your way.... :friends:keep the faith... It's going to get better.

Oh Aline, I’m sorry to read that your surgery was so involved. Thankfully it’s behind you and you’re healing once again. Prayers for perfect healing, your comfort and lots of sweet restorative sleep. :sleep:
Big hugs!
@Aline

Yes it appears the third day has always been the toughest for me it’s 5 am and I am wide awake feeling positive and hoping to be released around noon
I did not receive a nerve block they have stopped giving them I have felt everything raw as I call it lol
It’s about 6 pain level honestly not too bad stiff and much soreness

Safe travels home, dear Aline.
Let us know how you’re doing when you’re settled in comfortably at home and feel like posting. We’ll be here. Sending best wishes!
@Aline

@Aline that sounds like a really rough surgery, glad you're on the other side of that. Hopefully you're home today and resting comfortably.

@Mojo333 @CricketHip @Layla @Elf1 I have been home since Sunday night No matter how much I thought I was prepared for Round 3 I have had a few struggles
I do have in home care every other day and doing well with walking but I have so many restrictions
I am unable to shower or even bend over to sink to wash hair.. I tried the dry shampoo but I think I wasn’t doing it right
My OS had to do a posterior cut this time and up to my right cheek but no block.. I am glad I hated the log leg feeling and my nurses keep saying bend the knee when I walk lol I kept locking my knee
Overall I feel good I never felt right after the first surgery I had infections etc and constant issues with swelling pain he replaced all and apparently the stem was loose when trying to toggle out he fractured my trochanter bone but I truly believe the bone was weak I hardly could put any pressure when walking or limping I should say over the last year... I do not have any anxiety about trying to return to work and push as I did when having both hips done in 3 months
CricketHip your Cincinnati friend has returned... lol

Hi @Aline
One week out... :console2:
Thank goodness you have the surgery behind you and you are on the Healing Road, bumpy as it is.
I never had a lot of luck with the dry shampoo either :umm:... Just wanted a nice quick shower as I was nervous to be in too long...
Hopefully home health can make this happen before long?
A new year with a new hip and I'll be sending all the best healing mojo your way daily.:) :-) (:
Hang in there my friend.

@Mojo333 @Layla @Elf1 Tommorrow will mark 2 weeks since surgery
I had to order hand held shower and a double bench the items are here waiting on a friend to get everything attached and setup tonight then the occupational nurse will come in hopefully Monday to teach me how to take a shower I will need assistance my family has made a schedule to get me a shower every three days. I have been using wipes and the occupational nurse trained me to wash hair in kitchen sink without having to bend.. I get a lot of water everywhere but it’s worth the mess.. I use a gallon pitcher.. pour water over head... shampoo... rinse.. I lean up against sink and bend head forward.. I have tried to fix meal but it is too soon to stand for 15 minutes
More than likely I will be on walker for 6 weeks.. I have reading and downloading pictures to Walgreens ( getting mailed) and ordered a scrap book and supplies
Saturday I had a movie marathon.. Rocketman Bohemian Rhapsody Sgt Pepper Aaww I love Elton Queen and Peter Frampton I am a huge music fan... saw a lot of concerts in the 80’s made popcorn and Graeter’s Ice cream lifted my spirits
I see my OS on Friday to get staples removed and to find out exactly what happened and what he found will check back in this weekend

Hi @Aline
You will be so glad to have those showers... Even though you need a helping hand.
I needed help too, humbling...but certainly Just Temporary.
Remember several members who related "sink washings" and the mess it made.:oyvey:
You are doing fine... And I live that you like so many of the artists I love too.
Peter Frampton was my first concert and I had Such a Crush.:blush:
Hope the rest of your week is restful and happy.:tada:

Oh my Frampton was one of mine as well I was right up in front of stage... before The Who came to Cincinnati and several were killed and they changed policies..LOL I swear he looked at me and winked LOL
I have been very cautious and not worried about or stressed that I should be further Like my left hip May 2019 I was actually driving and going to preop appts for my right four weeks later June 2019
I live by myself and surgeon wanted to put me in nursing home.. no way... I have had nurses everyday except last weekend and I am doing well and everyone is pleased with the progress
I am in recliner I cannot even try to get into bed.. they are fearful that when using leg lifter I will swing out to far and dislocate.. the fracture is weighing heavily on my process
I am not too concerned about keeping a pillow in between legs as I have not been able to cross my legs prior to both replacements I have hardware in lower back and it has been years since I have crossed the legs
My sleeping has approved I do not like muscle relaxers but as a suggestion from nurse I have been using around 9 pm and been able to sleep until 5 am
Swelling is minimal pain is around 7 when up and about 4 when sitting still
Pain is primarily from hip groin area down to the knee and boy the knee is sore.. he must of really moved it around lol
I mentally prepared myself and refused to worry about getting back to work etc.. I asked everyone to give me some time prior to surgery a few weeks before I would be in contact I have had a few friends come over for about 15 minutes
Good to hear from you @Mojo333 I haven’t heard from crickethip hope all is well with her
Ailene

Hey Aline, It sounds like you’re doing well, finding ways to work around restrictions. Washing your hair without bending, :heehee: I’m betting that’s an amusing sight. I‘m sure well worth it once the water is all wiped up, fresh clean hair is the best. It seems you’re keeping yourself busy through entertainment. Whatever it takes to get you through. :)

Awesome on the sleep! Days are much easier when you’re not struggling to stay awake.
I hope you have a good appt with your OS on Friday to get the staples out.
Two weeks already tomorrow....Happy Two Week Anniversary!
@Aline

@Mojo333 @Layla Hi gals had my 2 week checkup today.. they removed staples.. they did an anterior on this revision I haven’t looked as I don’t handle looking at very well.. no bruising.. no drainage
Leg continues to swell but not nearly as bad as my previous HR’s
The stem was toggling and loose when they did xrays MRI Bone scans it was not visible as I was laying still.. I have struggled with pain in groin and right cheek with any movement and walking
The surgeon said it was only attached at bottom of stem and when removing my femur was fractured and I have wires cabling not sure if that is correct wording ? The stem he put in goes all the way down about 2 inches from my knee..it is twice the length of the one he put in my left 2019
I am doing really well given my restrictions if my leg is even an inch off when rising from chair or toilet raiser the pain is excruciating.. I have to stand For several minutes before attempting to walk
I go back in 2 weeks, it is unknown at this time when I will be able to drive or stop using walker..I am ok with that as well
It was an exhausting morning signing off for now need to close my eyes and rest.

I have wires cabling not sure if that is correct wording ?
It's called cerclage wire. So at this point you are recovering from a revision and a break.
CerclageWires.jpg

Be good to yourself. Easy does it! This will take a bit more time than a straight forward revision.

Sounds like you are doing well!

Oh @Aline
I know this is tough but I bet he's got that hip and stem nice and tight.

I have to stand For several minutes before attempting to walk
This was definitely me still at two weeks out so just stay slow, and steady....
All temporary my dear friend and I am sending you all the best healing vibes in the meanwhile.:console2:

@Jaycey that looks exactly as my X-ray today... he had to scroll down on screen to show me the stem... it is very long.. thank you for checking in.. honestly I knew what I was up against and the last several months I accepted I was going to be down and not to worry about PT, job etc.. no stress has made this recovery go much smoother
Ailene

@Mojo333 @Layla @Jaycey I lied in my post above... he did a Posterior Revision.. original HRS on both were anterior ... I have done much better with Posterior and I did not receive blocks so no log leg this time.. I did not like all that numbness for months

I've heard that oft times revisions are fine posterior for better view/access...
Glad you don't have log leg.
Your positive attitude and logical perception for recovery expectations is amazing and inspiring.
I'm betting on you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks