TKR Strange New World

14 weeks yesterday, and there is a noteable improvement from week 13 to week 14. For the first time this morning, I left my cane home while taking the dog for her walk. Yes, I still have a limp, I still feel some mild stiffness and pain, including that familiar one that originates just below the Patella and shoots down the side of the leg. It’s still sometimes sharp, but very mild and very brief, and it no longer shoots downward; it’s very local.

For those still in the early stages, especially the first-timers, I know how hard it is to be optimistic and really believe this misery will have a happy ending. In a previous post, I described recovery after the surgery as 2 REALLY REALLY ROTTEN weeks, followed by 2 REALLY ROTTEN weeks, followed by 2 ROTTEN weeks, followed by 2 MISERABLE weeks. That seems to hold pretty much true. It’s hard to see when we’re in that time frame, especially the earlier stages of it, but things do steadily improve, even then. That’s when @donnag1108’s “little victories”, improvements we see from day to day are so important. I remember in my second week saying something like, “I don’t care how bad that other one is, I ain’t doin’ this again!”. And I meant it. But now that I am walking on a Left leg that is getting stronger and healthier instead of weaker and more painful from week to week, I (even though admittedly a bit reluctantly) see things differently. My next surgery is scheduled for June 17. But I will probably put myself on the waiting list for a cancellation any time after May 1.

Yes, those first few weeks are no fun, and they can be kind of scary at times. But deal with each day as it comes, and watch for and hold onto those encouraging little victories, and look ahead. I have already put a target date on my calendar 3 months beyond my next surgery (which of course will have to be adjusted if I accept a cancellation date)

I know that looking at it right after settling down into my hospital bed, still in La-La Land from anesthesia, it will seem a L-O-O-O-O-NG way down the road. But the day will come. And so will yours; hang in there.

Hooray for those victories! That's great that you were able to leave your cane at home. How long do you think you walk before it becomes more than mild pain? I seem to be stuck at 20 minutes, although I am getting faster and covering more distance in that time.

Good luck with your next operation. With your attitude I feel it's bound to go well.......after these first few really, really rotten weeks.

@Denny39
I am somewhere between really really rotten week and really rotten week but it's good to know this is fairly normal and I will see some improvement:)

@Denny love your descriptions of first eight weeks. Wish you all the best with the second knee, however one word of caution- dont be like me and assume the second knee will be a mirror repeat of the first! I sincerely hope that it is and you will have as successful an experience as your first because stupid me that’s what I expected would be the case with me—eh no. For me the second knee has been so different a recovery than the first and culminated today in being diagnosed with a skin infection on my knee!!! Hopefully the course of antibiotics will clear up the infection but wonder what else this knee is going to throw at me:nah:

@Lindylee
It really no longer goes much beyond mild pain, even by the end of the day, but by then, I am obviously someone with a “walking disorder” of some kind. I’m probably now getting close to 1/2 day of fairly good walking. But there was a very significant improvement between week 13 and week 14. You are at about 5 - 6 weeks now, so it is very good that you are already able to get that much. I was still using my cane at that time.

You have a very positive attitude and with your realistic grasp of the realities of this adventure, you will probably be ahead of my schedule. That would be great. Hang in there and keep up the good work.

At almost 10 weeks, I forgot my cane at work today. I got home and was thrilled because, a few weeks ago, I carried it with me every time I got out of my chair at work. Your post makes me so excited about the future!

@CAdesgirl That’s great! It is a thrill when you suddenly realize you have just done something you haven’t been able to do for awhile, and you didn’t even realize you were doing it. That’s definitely something to be excited about.

@Denny39 Thank for the continued updates that gives those of us behind you a positive window into the future. Can't wait to have a miserable week.... :snork:

This is definitely one of our easier hikes, but you gotta start somewhere. I don’t think I would have done this two weeks ago.

Strange New World

That's lovely Denny. Doesn't it just make you feel so much better when you can do that little bit more?

@Denny39, way to go man that’s excellent that you managed a hike.:wowspring: I’m so looking forward to the day I can take my beloved dog (Lilli, an all black miniature schnauzer ) a walk along the beach again.:happydance:

@Lindylee Yes, it feels very good. That is an easy walk, one we really like and have gone to often. It is a loose gravel trail with a slight incline, but I wouldn’t have done it a couple of weeks ago. It takes time, and we have to look to the future, especially in those early, dismal weeks when we wonder if we were crazy for doing this. But that time does pass. Now I’m looking forward by this time next year, to being able to tackle some of the tougher ones, maybe even some I haven’t been able to do before. There is of course, the small matter of getting the other knee done, but that too shall pass.

@Lilli215 I’ll bet your little doggie misses those walks as much as you do. They have a hard time understanding why things suddenly change so radically. I had my dog with me on that walk, a spoiled rotten little 11 pound Shitzu who is a “fair weather” outdoor girl. Outdoor is great provided that: 1. The sun is shining 2. It’s not raining 3. The grass is not wet. A nice breeze blowing in her face is a plus. But she loves her walks, and I love taking her, and you obviously do as well. So you both have something to look forward to. Hope it happens soon.

Looking forward with a positive frame of mind helps I'm sure, as does knowing we can do something we couldn't a couple of weeks ago. These little milestones are so important in the recovery process. You have a great attitude Denny and I feel sure you'll manage a few more hikes before the next knee. I'm not even thinking about mine yet.

I certainly relate to all these comments, especially the one about how your partner has to help. For the first few weeks my husband was exhausted! ( the only good thing is I don't think he realised how much I did every day, he does now) I'm so grateful to him, but he's nearly 72 and it hasn't been easy.

@henrietta, completely understand your reliance on your husband and how hard it is. My husband is also 72 and suffers from a chronic back problem but bless him he’s been taking care of me for last seven weeks. The pressure is off him now as I’ve been able to do the cookingfor last week and can now drive myself to the shops. I admit the first three weeks when I was pretty much helpless I felt really guilty about him having to do it all.

@Lilli215 he's now getting out to play golf again which is good, and sitting down, I'm doing some ironing which he won't do!

Ladies, please remember that this is Denny39's recovery thread. The emphasis should be on his recovery.
Don't chat with each other here, but feel free to do it on your own threads.

Sorry, it helped me to share this. Where should I have done it.?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009