THR Still struggling<

You didn't show me that on the chart. Can you do so now?
 
Sorry. Pain today is W,X,Y R3F and L3F and S L3B and R3B. In addition, pain down calf muscles of both legs.
Thank you Josephine
 
So like this then?

[Bonesmart.org] Still struggling<


I think your pain is more likely back related.
 
The diagrams do show the pain areas accurately. So is it unlikely that these are to do with the hip op?
 
Thank you Layla.

If it is back pain I hope it is due to my poor posture now. I do find it difficult to keep upright when my legs get tired and knees start to buckle. All my problems seemed to start with my back. The xrays and MRI scan showed arthritic changes in the spine and some flattened discs in the lumbar region, probably age related. A cortico-steroid injection at L5 had no effect at all.

I asked my GP if I could have hip xrays done, which is when a severely arthritic left hip was picked up. This seemed to explain all my symptoms, plus the leg often giving way, causing me to fall. I was so thrilled at the prospect of, eventually, having a stable pain free leg, but now am faced with the prospect of working through recovery from the hip op but still experiencing pain, which originates from my back.
 
So is it unlikely that these are to do with the hip op?
More than likely, not in those spots
xrays and MRI scan showed arthritic changes in the spine and some flattened discs in the lumbar region
Well there y'go then!
A cortico-steroid injection at L5 had no effect at all.
They invariably don't, or any effect might be short lived.
This seemed to explain all my symptoms
It is entirely possible to have more than one condition at a time, you know.

For this issue, I strongly recommend you see a chiropractor rather then your GP or any other regular doctor. I don't know what I'd do without my chiro. Though you have to remember that chiropractic treatment is just that - a treatment. It's not a cure as nobody can offer you that.
 
Thanks for your input Josephine. I must admit that I am a bit downcast that my hippie op is not going to give me the pain free future that I had hoped for. Once I have recovered from the op I will take your advice and find a chiropractor who can help me with my back issues.
 
I am so grateful for this site! I have spent the morning reading the hippie experiences of others as I woke with a collection of aches and pains this morning. I go to bed with an ice gel pack under my bum and my poor husband fetches a fresh one between 2-3 in the morning. I was (and still am) in a bit of a heap about the pain. Josephine thinks it is back pain unconnected with the hip replacement but my husband was able to pin point the site causing it when giving me a massage. It is in the muscle in the middle of the bum where I had the replacement. Could this be responsible for the pain down the inside of both legs and across the lower back?
I know everyone says be patient but I really had been hoping for some improvement by now. Grateful for any thoughts/ similar experiences.
 
@fanny23 I have chronic lower back pain that was aggravated post LTHR. I found a specialist spinal physio who did deep massage. Hurts like heck when they locate the areas but the pain eases quite quickly when massaged. I also worked with an osteopath. They do similar treatment to chiropractic but not as harsh. My back just can't take any of that cracking and sudden movement.
 
Thank you Jaycey. When did you realise that your hip replacement had not resolved your back pain issues?
When you have treatment, how long is it before you experience the pain again?
I am willing to explore all options to enable me to live normally again. I have become very negative and have had no social life since the hip op. My husband has been very supportive, but I think even he is beginning to lose patience. I seem to have a meltdown most days due to the continual pain.
 
Hi @fanny23
Let's tag @Jaycey to make sure she sees your questions.
I'm sorry you're struggling with the pain and discomfort of back issues.
Wishing you comfort and hoping you find relief soon. :console2:
A peaceful evening to you.
 
When did you realise that your hip replacement had not resolved your back pain issues?
I never thought my THR would resolve my back issues although the pre-op pain was incorrectly diagnosed as lower back for years. The day after my LTHR I had horrid sciatic pain. It eased with ice and rest. But you walk differently post op. Your gait and the way you carry yourself may vary.
When you have treatment, how long is it before you experience the pain again?
After the deep massage treatments (probably 6-8 visits) I never had anymore spasms.

If you find yourself a good physio who specialises in spine they will work with you on core stability. Strengthening the core really does help not only ease the pain but lets you keep moving. I will always have lower back issues but I am pretty active again and other than very heavy lifting I can do most activities.
 
I crouched down to inspect some weeds in the garden yesterday, completely forgot about hip issues, both knees gave way and I found myself lying on the path - cursing!
Today both hips, but particularly left, are sore, as are both knees and, to some extent, my back. How stupid!
A case of extreme ODIC. Has any one any experience of a fall like this? How long did it take to recover? I was still in a good deal of discomfort (pain?) any way so am really fed up now!
 
Hi @fanny23 :wave:
Well, you're having a run of bad luck it seems. I'm so sorry.
Rest and ice any /all areas that are hurting. Do so for 40-60 mins, no less.
If you're in pain, I'd make use of OTC pain relief, if that doesn't help, I'd advise you speak with the office of your OS regarding your fall and describe the pain your dealing with.

It's your Four Month Anniversary today and I'd like to wish you a happy one, but I'm sure it's not.
Better days are on the way, hang In there. :console2:
 
@fanny23 We all had our first fall post op - most just like yours from doing something silly. Don't beat yourself up about it. It just happens.

Falls are very jarring to many areas of your body might be uncomfortable. Just rest, ice and elevate. All will ease with a bit of time.
 
Thank you for your good wishes Layla - you're right, not a particularly happy one! Also, thank you Jaycey, it's reassuring that falls happen to others. I'm sitting on ice packs at the mo and hoping to get moving again tomorrow. This recovery is certainly testing my patience - and that of my H, there has been a definite fall in the sympathy dept.
 
there has been a definite fall in the sympathy dept
In my experience friends and family just don't get it. You are up and probably dressed normally. Trying to get on with life hindered by a healing hip. Everyone sees a fully recovered you - not a recovering you. Perhaps share the activity progression post or the how long does healing take post with H?

The good news is this is a very temporary setback. You will get moving again - just take a bit of time. Be good to yourself!
 
You're right Jaycey. I am looking fairly normal(in spite of my very fetching compression stockings worn for low bp), and am trying to get on with domesticals. Friends and family have been very supportive, but now I think they expect some positive reports when they enquire " how are you?". They really don't get just how long the recovery process is. I could tell them that I am fine, but then am moving slowly with a stick!
Thank goodness for bonesmarties - it is invaluable in its support and in the recovery stories you all describe.
I know that I must be patient and that I will get fit in time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom