THR Still struggling<

Help hippies! I seem to be going backwards in recovery, it is 6 weeks today since my surgery and I seem to be in more pain not less. Took 2 codeine at 2.30am so got some sleep, now sitting with leg up wondering when things will improve. I have tried to limit my use of codeine but think I might have to take 2 with the paracetamol 4 times a day and am now taking all your advice about icing my calves.
 
Oops have definitely overdone it today! Feel quite weepy as both legs and buttocks are aching, just as I thought I had got my Meds sorted, paracetamol 4x a day plus ibuprofen 3x. Had to abandon codeine as it was making me feel light headed, sick and dizzy, leave alone the constipation. How long do folk find it takes to get over ODIC?
 
:hi:Hi there
Sorry you feel you've overdone it. I hope you're not in too much pain.
I just read through your thread and ICING has been suggested many times.
It's tried and true....it works!
Please continue icing any areas that hurt. It's great for pain and swelling.
You need to ice for 45-60 minute, no less, each time you ice. Target 4x daily, or more if necessary.
Please read the article on ICE -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ice-to-control-pain-and-swelling.5493/

I'd advise you abandon ALL exercise. It isn't necessary. Re-read the BIG TIP from the Recovery Guidelines -
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Following is an article on Activity Progression for THR. It is a rough guideline you can use to keep yourself in check during these early weeks of recovery -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

If you don't feel your pain is well managed, by all means call the office of you're OS to have it adjusted.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend!
@fanny23
 
Thanks Layla. I wasn't doing any exercise! Just normal domestic tasks - light dusting, lightweight vacuuming and general tidying!! I am so disappointed to feel like this, don't seem to be making any progress and it's 7 weeks since I had the hip done. I have avoided PT due to fainting/ low blood issues so have taken note of the advice here and have just walked - in moderation around the garden. Sorry to be such a moaning Minnie.
 
Moaning is allowed. I sense your frustration, but please realize you are only 7 weeks post op, from a major surgery. It can take a full year, sometimes even longer for complete healing. So you're really in the infancy of your healing journey. Possibly you're judging your progress by gauging the progress of others who may have had surgery around the time you did. If that's the case, please understand all recoveries are different. We all come into surgery in different shape. Some using assistive devices, others not. Some taking meds, others not needing them, some limping, others not at all. Our bodies all heal at different rates. It takes a lot of patience some days as we want to be further along than we are, but you'll get there. Hopefully with some rest and dedicated icing you'll feel better soon. :console2:

To brighter days! :SUNsmile:
@fanny23
 
Hey @fanny23 you are allowed to be a moaning Minnie... not that I think you are. I gave up the strong painkillers far too soon and have really suffered for it. I am back on them now and will continue for the foreseeable future. There is no point suffering un necessarily if a couple of pills will prevent it. I am feeling quite spaced out with all the tablets rattling around my body.. I bet I sound like a jar of dried peas when I walk
 
Hello there. No such thing as moaning here. You are in pain, so go easy in yourself.

I think expectations are set too high for this procedure for most of us. We hear about people sailing through the process which gives false hope of a speedy recovery. I also went off pain medication too quickly. I am back on extra strength Tylenol several times a day. I am 5 weeks post operation and still icing and elevating. Currently my knee and feet benefit most from icing. When I sit, my feet are always up. Kinda got lazy about this 2 weeks ago and the pain came back. Hope it helps to know there are many of us slowly recovering. Take care and keep posting. There are a lot of kind souls on this site.
 
I had a part that attached to my cane that kept it up if I needed to let go of it. I used it when I went outdoors or on uneven ground as well. I didn't use my cane very long, but my son-in-law did after his hernia repair surgery, and he really liked the quad base. You might check on Amazon---they have lots to chose from.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Still struggling<
    41dxZRHtRZL._SX180_.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 343
  • [Bonesmart.org] Still struggling<
    41DVGrWvaEL._SY180_.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 327
My two pence worth: Ice almost constantly until you break through this pain cycle. Go back to your pain meds until you are stable a week and then start to VERY slowly wean off them in weekly increments, not daily. (preferably talk to your doctor about pain management or the right way to cut down) A few little bits in the house are okay but STOP the vacuuming until you have no pain and muscle spasms for at least a week. (Vacuuming is really demanding on our bodies!) Carefully review the activity progression chart Josephine made. You can get through this but you need to give yourself a break. My guess is that you tried too much too soon. Are you still using a walker or cane? If your gait isn't right you could be over stressing everything if walking with no aids.

 
Thank you every one for your supportive messages. I don't know whether my bum pain is because I sit down a lot - in between I do walk around the house - or part of the healing process. I am trying to be patient but, as you all will know, the nagging dull pain does pull you down. I am reluctant to restart codeine as I feel less sick and dizzy and a bit less bunged up! Don't know if paracetamol and ibuprofen do more than take the edge off things, I do know that the latter is anti inflammatory and not a pain killer.
I use both sticks walking in the house generally, but sometimes one if I need to carry something. I know my left hip cannot support weight yet.
 
Last edited:
On into week 8. Up most of night with bathroom trips and get up with slightly log like left leg. Dealt with the latter with a good icing session but no idea how to resolve the other. I am keeping positive as a result of the helpful comments on the forum but it is hard!
I would like however, to commend my right foot. It has proved invaluable for removing left socks, putting on pants and leisure trousers and applying moisturiser to the left leg.
 
I was discharged home with Paracetamol and codeine for pain control.
I think I reduced my pain relief too soon and too quickly post-op :nah: by stopping the codeine at week 2!
Then had to start taking it again cos paracetamol/ibuprofen just wasn't working well at all!
Pain/discomfort did not help my mood and I was snappy and weepy with my family:bawl:
I am now 4 weeks post op and taking 1000mgs paracetamol and 30mgs codeine phosphate every 6 hours.
This controls the pain without the nasty side effects of 60mgs of codeine :sick:.
I continue to ice and elevate.
I'm managing the constipation with prunes and lactulose. :good-bad:

I am feeling much better on this regimen, and hope you soon will, too............
 
I think I might try the paracetamol and codeine combo again. I stopped the codeine due to side effects but I think it helped more than the ibuprofen. I had hoped to be able to taper the pain meds by now but still have a very achy leg and 2 achy buttocks!
 
If you have pain take the tablets!! Used paracetamol and codeine too but was careful to take lactulose to avoid constipation.
Do know @fanny23 that this is just the healing & it will not last ... you are still early days... I know how hard we all want to recover & it does come. thinking of you [emoji3590]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks Hoppy Nanny, I have just taken codeine and paracetamol to hopefully calm the pain in both legs and buttocks. Can't understand why there seems to be so little improvement in week 7-8. Just about to apply some ice. Appreciate your thoughts! Xx
 
@fanny23
I found on my first THR that I had so much good recovery in weeks 1-4 but it slowed down considerably after... instead of reaching milestones every week... they were slow to come & the same is happening this time... different niggly pains keep presenting themselves & feel no nearer ‘getting there’!
I know I will.., and so will you! That’s why this recovery takes up to a year to get right... sorry !
Think not overthinking helps & just letting it be ... it’s damn frustrating trying getting rid of the buttocks & leg pain... which for me is stiffness rather than pain... thinking of you & sending healing hugs [emoji3590][emoji3590][emoji3590]



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I would like however, to commend my right foot. It has proved invaluable for removing left socks, putting on pants and leisure trousers and applying moisturiser to the left leg.
this bit made me laugh, but can I juts add that I have terrible pain in my bum too, never thought sitting or lying in bed would be so bloomin uncomfortable, I'm on week 4 still get swollen leg and pains but every week I see improvements , I am now down to a cane instead of 2 crutches. It just takes patience and you sound a bit like me, meaning we haven't got a lot of patience.
 
Last edited:
@Layla has a lovely pic of recovery -- I think we all think it will be a straight line from operation to 'normal' but, like everything else, it is much more jumbled up than that:flabber:, with times when we can see great improvement, times when we seem to be getting 'worse' and times when nothing seems to be happening.
I've had to learn to be present in the moment and accept that it is what it is, otherwise I over-think myself into a :dubious:, and that 's not helpful at all:ok:.

Today has been a good day for me, so sending hugs.................
 
I have reminded myself of the recovery pic - those tangles are so accurate! My husband says my walking is appalling and has confiscated one stick! It has made me stand up properly and use 'heel, toe' to walk in a straight line. Think I might still need 2 to deal with stairs. A codeine/paracetamol combo has reduced the pain so feel more positive this morning, sitting on an ice pack should deal with other niggles. Hope you are all having a good day with some improvements.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom