Guest viewing is limited

TKR Still struggling 2 years on

During periods when your knee is more swollen it will bend less - most of us have had this issue at one point

Do not let the physio hurt you - it will not help in the long run and may make your leg more swollen and therefore less able to bend
 
Tell them no they're not to do that, or better still change physios. Find one that has worked with knee replacements and takes the gentle approach. They need to understand a hose pipe full of water won't bent and your knee is like that. Until the swelling goes down your knee won't bend. Are you elevating and icing lots? Gentle stretches to the point of discomfort only is all you need right now.
 
Oh my goodness! You need to find a new therapist pronto! Nobody should force your knee like that!
 
As everyone has said don't let them hurt you. Pushing it isn't a true measure of ROM. When the OS asked if what they measured was a true ROM and I told him it was when they assisted, he said that is not an accurate measurement. I had a pt tell me she could break my adhesions by pushing. I told her where to go. The OS said that would have been barbaric. You are early yet and probably still have swelling holding up your ROM.
 
Please listen to all of us - do not allow them to force a bend on you. This will slow your recovery as the swelling will increase and will not bend. Make sure you are elevating and icing a lot which is pretty much anytime you are not walking. If you can keep the swelling reduced, you will gain the flexion without pain. They do not have any right to bend your knee with such force.
 
It is always difficult to confront a "professional"----especially when you have just had surgery and are feeling vulnerable. But, the others are right---if someone pushes the knee, it responds by swelling and, of course, that just makes everything harder.

I would consider spending a weekend in bed with your knee propped up with three pillows. Just rest and ice the knee and see if that type of gentle treatment helps the knee more than being pushed.

Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

It is okay to change pts---I did it myself. I went around to the other pts in my area and when I found a place that felt right, I talked to the pt about my experience in the first place. He was very kind and helpful and I did switch to his pt clinic, which I have used for years now.
 
It's not so easy in the UK, folks.

But @andrea you are perfectly at liberty to refuse to allow this. It's called consent. If you tell them you don't want this done then you have denied them consent to do it. If they insist on doing it anyway, technically, that is an assault and you can lodge a complaint with the hospital about it. Nobody can do anything to you without your consent. Remember how you had to sign a consent form to enable your surgeon to operate and the anaesthetist to give you an anaesthetic? Well the same applies here.
 
It's no so easy depending on what insurance plan you're in in the US either.
 
How are you doing?

It takes about a year to recover from this traumatic surgery. When a surgery involves cutting/breaking bone, it is more traumatic than a soft-tissue surgery.

Elevate! Elevate! Elevate!
 
@Josephine I had a total knee replacement in February 2014 and I am still having ongoing problems. I expressed my concerns numerous times to my consultant, which were swelling below the knee, burning pains in lower leg and pain after walking. He didn’t seem concerned and when I explained, that on returning work I would have a lot of walking and stairs to navigate, his crass reply was “I suggest you retire or find another job”. He also said that he prided himself on his work and if I was not satisfied to find another consultant

My GP referred me to another consultant at the same hospital. He did a knee aspiration to rule out infection, which came back clear. His only solution was to wear a leg brace, which I refused. I asked for a second opinion and was referred to another hospital.

Whilst waiting for the referral I decided to pay to see a private consultant, who when studying the xrays spotted that the knee was slightly out of line, which was causing the problems.

I finally got my referral and the consultant confirmed the above. He decided to take me to theatre and numb the kneecap, if this improved my symptoms,(which it did). Then he would know the kneecap was the problem.

On returning to see the consultant, he again looked at the detailed xrays and said that the arthritis was in a rare position behind the knee and although I really should only have had a partial knee replacement, because of where it was a full one was the only option. He was confident he could perform the surgery, but not of the outcome, where it could make no difference, improve it or make it worse and his opinion would be to leave it.

The only problems I had with the this knee prior to surgery, was that occasionally it let me down and now I am struggling to work and in constant discomfort. My left knee I was told has totally worn away, but I am reluctant to have anything done.

I wonder if you could recommend any surgeon or solution .
 
Hello Andrea - sorry to hear you are still having problems.

I merged you three threads so I could read what history you had and was rather concerned to find that you didn't appear to have responded to any of the posts from others (and me!) giving advice. This leads me to suppose you either never read it or if you did, you didn't take any notice.
his crass reply was “I suggest you retire or find another job”. He also said that he prided himself on his work and if I was not satisfied to find another consultant
I am pretty speechless at that comment! It's quite likely that he has such a pride because his problem patients go elsewhere!

Before I can answer your questions I first need to know you will be engaging with me as you would in a conversation. So please let me know that I won't be talking to empty space!

Secondly, can you tell me the surgeons and hospitals you went to. I think you seem to have seen three so far, is this correct?
 
Well, I couldn't find Kym as you never told me the name of the hospital but the other three look pretty good.

I really don't know what else to suggest.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom