Still no surgery for me BMI to high

Status
Not open for further replies.
:flwrysmile:Congrats on the 100+ weight loss. That in it self is a great accomplishment. My OS had a 40 bmi threshold and I was well above a 50. But the bone on bone pain , in both hips , was a great motivator. I too had considered searching for a new OS, and did within a 150 mi. radius , to no avail. After 90 lbs. and three long years the surgeon agreed to do the right hip. I was at a 42 bmi at the time and he decided that with my weight loss and the fact that I was mostly in a wheelchair now he would do the surgery. I am now 6 wks. post op and am doing great. I should be getting my left hip done later this year. I know it seems daunting to have to lose so much weight while we are in so much pain but the rewards are greater. Hope your search for another surgeon works out for you. But even if it doesn't , our weight loss in itself has made us a much healthier person. And we did this without a dangerous bariatric surgery. Good luck and God bless.
 
@Hip-or-not-to-hip Thank you. I understand why my OS is requiring the weight loss. I've just suffered with this so long it's starting to really cause my quality of life to deteriorate. I will see what the new doctor says on Wednesday and how I feel about him. In the mean time, the weight loss goals and struggles will continue. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I visited Virgina once when I was much younger and fell in love with the area. You live in a beautiful state. Good luck with your recovery and your second hip surgery coming up. Take care and God bless you too.
 
hi @sherrymorss60 and bless your heart! Of course you felt like crying! Good luck with the second opinion.
I am rooting for you!
 
hey, I had 3 interviews with 3 separate surgeons before I found my match. Keep your chin up. :)
 
Yes, just straight out ask! Mine said right away he has replaced hips for 20 years about 200 a year! So glad you have an appointment, will pray that you find the best path to take. I would like to share with you a recently published book that I have learned a lot from, Always Hungry by David Ludwig. He is an obesity specialist in Boston. The book has many great ideas to aid in weight loss and some delicious recipes. It is time consuming to cook and chop and plan meals but it has been great for me! You feel so full and satisfied that it cuts cravings and in between meal eating and , for me, late night snacking!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@Sommers16 Thank you. It helps to know there are others out there who understand. I think my family gets tired of me always complaining and not being able to do things because of the pain. I know I do.
 
@jomarie58 I will check into that book. I have basically been using the app called my fitness pal to track everything I eat. I stay at or below the calorie limit the program has set for me. I try to move as much as possible. Before I had to quit taking Diclofenac, I was getting in 2500 steps a day. Now I'm lucky to get 1000. I have now lost 102.5 pounds, but will probably slow down because I'm not able to walk as much with out something for the pain. I'm going to check out chair exercises on YouTube as that might help. It's just when that first surgeon suggested I lose about 36 more pounds between now and July 19th I felt overwhelmed. I just don't see that happening in a post menopausal woman who can barely walk. I'm not sure what he was thinking. So maybe this next surgeon will have a little more realistic idea of what can be done.
 
Oh Sweetie, Be careful what you get yourself in for. Your weight loss is awesome! So impressive! I am 5'7" at 195 lbs. .. 59 years old. At week 6 recovery from hip replacement. Week 5 recovery from blowing out my shoulder lifting my bulk from the toilet. Week 2 recovery from blowing out my back. The first week after surgery it was very difficult to just move over 6 inches from the side of my bed. I know it seems like doctors are are unreasonable, but they really have your best interest. If I had known what I was facing ahead of time, it might just have been the kick I needed to "try" to get in better fighting shape. My extra weight is like lifting two 25 pound thanksgiving turkeys every time I lift myself up. And they told me not to lift things over 10 lbs at first?
I know the pain before surgery. But I now know the pain after surgery would be way less and faster healing at a fighting weight! You have come so far!! I am praying for you! You can do it if you already did so much!
 
@MsAlainius I know the surgeon is not trying to be mean or unreasonable. I know I need to lose weight and will continue on my weight loss plan. I guess I would just like to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I just felt like he said go away your too big and you can't have the surgery. I'm trying to be positive and just keep going. I'm not going to keep pushing until I get my way no matter what the costs, but I would like the surgeon to be a little more optimistic too. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I appreciate it. I'm sorry your recovery has been so hard and I hope it gets better soon.
 
Bedside manner seems to really be a low priority these days. Guess we have to try not to take too personally when the doctors pop into the exam room for 5 minutes, tell us something they have told many others and pop back out. I think that light at the end of the tunnel is closer than it seems to you!
 
Well my appointment with the new surgeon, for my second opinion, was postponed for tomorrow. The first surgeon's office didn't get my medical records transford over. They say it can take up to 2 weeks because the doctor has to go through everything and approve it. My next appointment with the new surgeon is May 12th. What a run around. I'm so discouraged.
 
I had my appointment with my second surgeon. His opinion was about the same as the first surgeon. I need to have my weight down to a BMI of 40. So I asked him about how many hip replacements he does in a month and if he had ever worked on any one my size. He said actually hips were not his specialty and that shoulders were. He said I was welcome to consult one of the other surgeons in their practice who did specialize in hip surgery. The nurse was so awsome because when we asked about making an appointment to see this hip specialist, she said she thought they could work me in to see him after lunch. So surgeon number three was seen this afternoon. He has been doing hip replacements for 20 years. He said yes he has worked on people my size. After his exam he explained everything very, very thoroughly. After all that he asked me when I would like to proceed. I couldn't believe it. He said yes of course he could do my surgery now at this weight. I didn't get an exact date because the scheduler had already left for the day. He said I would be scheduled in the next 3 to 4 weeks since I need to do my pre op stuff. I'm amazed, excited, and scared to death. I need this done so badly but I realize I'm still so obese. What if I really regret moving forward at this weight. At the same time I think in another month, maybe two, I will be totally wheelchair dependent. I can hardly walk now. Please, someone tell me I'm doing the right thing!
 
You're doing the right thing! I've been a member of this forum for more than six years. I've seen plenty of larger people sail right through this surgery and you will too. Keep in mind that your surgeon wants you to have a successful outcome too. If he wasn't certain that he could help you, he wouldn't have agreed to accept your case.
 
@sherrymorss60 Congratulations on being closer to surgery! Don't sit back and worry about the weight thing, just imagine how much more weight you can lose when you can move without pain! You will do great.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom