Bilateral TKR Still lacking quads strength at 5 months post op<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same thing happened to me in September on a Delaware beach. Luckily few were on the beach and a friend was with me. Like you, I scooted away from the chair, but then I sat for a while trying to look as though I was relaxing while I was really brainstorming how to get up!

Remember this recovery can take a full year. Your muscle tone slowly lost strength before your TKR due to lack of use and pain. It may take a full year to get it back. I'd let go of whatever is causing pain and just go about your daily activities. If walking isn't painful build that slowly. I had my TKR 3 years ago and over that time have built up from biking 4 miles in 25 min to 8 miles in 45 minutes daily. Now I was teaching the first 2 years and often too tired and worn out to bike many nights. But when I was 28 yrs olds I was biking 10 miles at a time in about an hour, so I figure I'm doing pretty good for 60 yrs old!
 
Your beach stories are
making me smile today! I'm glad neither of you were injured in your folly! My R knee continues to lag as well. Time. Patience. Prayer. We will get there.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Same thing happened to me in September on a Delaware beach. Luckily few were on the beach and a friend was with me. Like you, I scooted away from the chair, but then I sat for a while trying to look as though I was relaxing while I was really brainstorming how to get up!

Remember this recovery can take a full year. Your muscle tone slowly lost strength before your TKR due to lack of use and pain. It may take a full year to get it back. I'd let go of whatever is causing pain and just go about your daily activities. If walking isn't painful build that slowly. I had my TKR 3 years ago and over that time have built up from biking 4 miles in 25 min to 8 miles in 45 minutes daily. Now I was teaching the first 2 years and often too tired and worn out to bike many nights. But when I was 28 yrs olds I was biking 10 miles at a time in about an hour, so I figure I'm doing pretty good for 60 yrs old!
 
So I am not the only beach casualty,lol. It wasn't funny at the time but I survived and today I bought myself a high sitting camping director chair to take to the beach tomorrow. It sits high and is very comfortable and I can just stand right up - no putting my weight on arms (my own or the chair's). I guess where there is a will there is a way - right now I am using it here in the rental house - so handy to just be able to get right up - the other furniture here is low so it has been difficult and I find myself sitting more than I should or ordinarily would because it hurt so much to get up. Again - I hope by the year anniversary of surgery that I don't need the high sitting chairs or elevated toilet seats but for now - they are a Godsend.
 
If you are like me your leg changed shape post surgery. For years and years as my old knee deteriorated my gait did too and the quad just atrophied..
So its not really surprising that after five months only the quad is not as we would hope it would be. Its still learning!
Occasionally mine feels like wet noodle but I did pretty good today. Walked about five miles. I encountered a public toilet some nine inches off the floor.. Well that was interesting.. nothing to grab onto.
 
Occasionally mine feels like wet noodle but I did pretty good today. Walked about five miles. I encountered a public toilet some nine inches off the floor.. Well that was interesting.. nothing to grab onto.

Ha - I bet that was interesting - isn't it amazing how for years we didn't think anything about low toilets but now - wow -such a problem. I think you have a point - I have had bad knees for 10 years before surgery so I am sure my quads were atrophied somewhat so it will take more time maybe for me than for most. Just getting impatient but then patience was never my best trait, lol.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom