Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Still lacking quads strength at 5 months post op<

Status
Not open for further replies.
First answer is for 4 wks post op and second is now
Well thank you but I did quite clearly ask for the answers to be 1. answer q1-8 for the first 4 weeks post-op and 2. answer q1-8 for right now. So now I have to sort through your answers to figure out exactly what you've said. It's late now though so I'll try it tomorrow!
 
In my haste to get the answers to you - I answered each question twice but evidently not in the form you require and certainly not on purpose. If it is too much trouble or too time consuming to sort through - I understand.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't be too much trouble ordinarily but I can't figure it all out! Sorry and all that!
 
Sorry to hear about the knee issues. I have been one of the lucky ones but I think it is because of the advice I took from our friends here.
I didn't do any PT - nothing!in spite of my family Dr. telling me I would have to work hard to get my knee healthy after the surgery...
So less is more! let your knee heal and take baby steps each day. It only makes sense to let a traumatised knee heal before giving it any work.
 
I think you are doing fabulous! I was not driving at 4 weeks!
 
I think you are doing fabulous! I was not driving at 4 weeks!
Actually I only drove because I needed to - living alone and needing to go tend to my husband at his memory care facility - I was in a hurry. I did fine luckily.
I did go to PT yesterday and told them I wouldn't be checking back with them for a few weeks - thought I would give my knee some time and see if that helped. They agreed and as you said - they think I'm doing fine also. It was kind of funny yesterday - there was a heavyset gentleman there in his late 40's who was 6 wks post op BTKR and he was telling them all the the things he could do - stairs many times a day, walking great distances, going back to work in a week, bike riding and the PT with me just shook her head - she said he will be regretting all that in another week or so. I think everyone thinks they are the exception to the mantra - it takes time, at least we hope we are the exception til we hit that setback.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't be too much trouble ordinarily but I can't figure it all out! Sorry and all that!
Actually I think it is pretty simple - the first answer is for 4 wks and the second answer (where it says now)in the same line is for now. If you look and can't get it - let me know and I will redo but please be specific as to how you want it to be.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Roy - The last two days - I have quit my exercises except for the peddler - hoping my right leg/knee recovers - it still does hurt when I bend it past 100 degrees along the outside of the knee. Hoping by the time I return to the ortho (jan 11) - the pain is gone.
 
Well I'm very pleased to hear you've stopped the exercises but this may take longer than 11 days to settle down. Sometimes it can take a lot longer than that. For instance, you're now around 16 weeks and presumably have been doing these exercises for that period of time, yes? So logic should tell you that it's not going to settle down in less than 2 weeks!
 
pleu711, I hope you feel better soon. I'm not thrilled with my PT at this point. I'm going to speak to the surgeon about it when I see him next.
 
My left knee is pretty good - flexion 115 and extension 0, not much pain except when trying to get up from low seating.. My right knee is sore above the knee cap ( OS says may be scar tissue) but flexion is 112 and extension 0 and also hurts when getting up from anything lower than 19 inches and if a chair doesn't have arms for me to push up - I really struggle. Using a low toilet without grab bars is impossible. I have yet to go to any restaurant and sit in a booth - afraid I would never get out. I know it takes time but I am leaving for Florida next week for 6 weeks and I want to be able to go places without fearing being stuck. Before I had surgery - I asked the surgeon if by 5 months post op I would be able to take this trip and he assured me I would be ready. I'm driving the 1400 miles over 3 days each way - stopping to visit relatives - traveling by myself so I won't have anyone to help me so I'm planing on asking for handicap hotel rooms (if unavailable I have a raised toilet seat I'm taking to use in the rental house but I could take it in to hotel - in a designer shopping bag, of course, lol) and using drive thrus for meals.
After all this - my questions:
how do I strengthen my quads to help ?
anyone else having this problem at almost 5 months?
any suggestions?
if this is supposed to be on my original post - I didn't know how to get it on there - sorry
 
Good point @pleu711. I struggle with this too. I try not to be away from my own raised toilet seat for any length of time. We're due to fly long distance at the end of March. OS says it should be fine. I've booked extra legroom seats but the airline toilets might be a problem. Just have to cope I suppose...
 
[Bonesmart.org] Still lacking quads strength at 5 months post op<
[Bonesmart.org] Still lacking quads strength at 5 months post op<
@pleu711, You may notice that I have merged your two threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you have questions or concerns that need an immediate answer, please tag an admin, a mod, or other members or all three. I also updated your title.

If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. THANKS!


If you are having a problem locating your thread, here is a link with how to do it: How can I find my threads and posts?
 
I am a week behind you on my right knee and I also still have a sore place at the top of my knee. I ask the PA at my OS office about it and he said it is because they cut the muscle there and is a common complaint. It just takes time. I can tell it is getting better. I just had my left knee replaced 5 weeks ago, so I haven't been to a restaurant since then, but before that I was able to sit in a booth and get up by grabbing the back of the bench with one hand and pushing up on the table with the other. Maybe that would work for you also. I hope you enjoy your trip. Going somewhere warm and sunny sounds wonderful about now!
 
I haven't been to a restaurant since my surgery in September - so I will have to try your suggestion. I did order a 4 inch block cushion for hip replacement patients from Amazon - supposed to stay firm - to take with me into any place I think I will have trouble - it has a long handle on it - I'll let you know when I get it - how it works. I searched online for a booster seat - kind of like the hard plastic toilet riser but I couldn't find anything like that. I was sure by now I owuld be okay - still have pain enough to take 1/2 to 1 percocet a day and tylenol other wise. The mantra - "it takes time" is what I keep saying to myself, lol.
 
@pleu711 i found that the straight leg lifts that I did in PT really helped strengthen my quads.
I found it easier to get up from a chair with no arms or a toilet without grab bars if I slide my hands under my upper legs and then use my arms to push up from the seat. If the chair is lightweight or on a slippery floor where I worry it might slide out from under me, I ask somebody (coworker, family member, waiter, stranger) to hold the back of the chair while I stand up.

While I was in PT, they helped me with getting up from sitting. My problem was I kept my feet too close together. They had me widen my stance and made sure my feet extended further forward than my knees. Doing that decreased pain and increased stability for me.

I can usually get up from a high toilet without assistance but there have been quite a few times where I needed to use a low toilet or sit on low chairs (or rocks while out hiking). It is awkward, but I am able to push up from the seat when I slide my hands under my butt/upper thighs, especially if I widen my stance.
 
At 4 months, I too still struggle with getting up from low seating. I still have the riser on one of my toilets, but not on another. I use the sink to sort of pull myself up from that one...(hopefully I won't pull it out of the wall!!1 yikes) I can get up without using my hands sometimes, but other times I have to push or pull. A wide stance and bending at the waist helps. It is also still somewhat painful for me for a few seconds. But once up, I am usually good to go. I still also have my recliner elevated as well as my bed. It is just easier and until I am ready for the gym again, (I am thinking next month) I see no reason to struggle.
 
I see no reason to struggle.
Me either - so I will continue with my elevated toilet seat til I don't need it and I will try the methods you and Want2hike have suggested to try to get up. I guess I am amazed at those who do not have pain or struggle at this point - this bilateral TKR situation was/is a tough recovery. Thanks for your help.
i found that the straight leg lifts that I did in PT really helped strengthen my quads.
I have been doing my exercises including the straight leg lifts since before surgery ( I was preparing ahead) but evidently these old quads are resistant to them, lol. I am practicing your rising methods along with lene" - I'll keep you posted - should be an interesting trip.
 
Reading through this thread I`m thinking that it`s as well that we don`t have cctv in our bathrooms as my method of rising from the loo is a kind of arm-flapping launch such as a swan (or goose!) would make on taking flight! But then I have one good(ish) leg to help with the launch; not sure how I`d cope if I`d had bilateral TKR.

Hope your trip is interesting and enjoyable!
 
Reading through this thread I`m thinking that it`s as well that we don`t have cctv in our bathrooms as my method of rising from the loo is a kind of arm-flapping launch such as a swan (or goose!) would make on taking flight! But then I have one good(ish) leg to help with the launch; not sure how I`d cope if I`d had bilateral TKR.

Hope your trip is interesting and enjoyable!

Haha, mine is one hand on seat and completely bent over then stand for a second Inf two legs! Works but looks crazy!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom