Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Still lacking quads strength at 5 months post op<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pleu711, I had a bilateral TKR early October 2015. After a grueling week at a mandated inpatient rehab center, I started PT for 2 hours 3 times a week. After 8 weeks of PT my OS told me my numbers were great and I should stop the PT, but I decided to keep going and developed terrible bursitis in both knees. My OS couldn't do anything for the painful bursitis except give me anti-inflammatories and tell me to be patient. I was unable to even walk on the beach for 3 months. I never had bursitis before. Your exercises seem excessive and, as others said, could very well be causing your pain just as mine did.
 
Reading through this thread I`m thinking that it`s as well that we don`t have cctv in our bathrooms as my method of rising from the loo is a kind of arm-flapping launch such as a swan (or goose!) would make on taking flight! But then I have one good(ish) leg to help with the launch; not sure how I`d cope if I`d had bilateral TKR.

Hope your trip is interesting and enjoyable!


Had to smile when I read your post - isn't it the truth - glad no one sees what it takes to get off the pot , lol.
 
Hope you are enjoying Florida!
Leaving tomorrow morning - taking 3 days - driving by myself - stopping to see family along the way. Hoping my new knees don't let me down and should be interesting to see if I can get up from various seats and toilets I run in to along the way. Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather and high seats and plenty of handicap bathrooms, lol.
 
Take plenty of breaks, so your legs don't get too stiff.

I hope you have a safe journey.
 
Take plenty of breaks, so your legs don't get too stiff.

I hope you have a safe journey.
I plan on stopping to stretch legs every 90 min or so and thanks for your safe journey wishes.
 
You might want to wear some "civilian strength" (not the hospital industrial ones:loll:) knee high compression socks while on the road to avoid blood clots in the lower legs.
 
I left northern Ohio Monday, stopped to visit relatives in Cincinnati, Richmond, Ky and Atlanta, Ga and arrived in Venice, Fl Thursday afternoon. I did take Arttie's advice and wore compression knee highs - did my exercises in the hotel rooms because I was stiff and luckily I did take my raised toilet seat because I could only get the handicap room in one hotel and those regular toilets were too low for me. But I did go to several restaurants and I was able to get up - although I had to restrain myself from yelling cause it does still hurt - especially my right knee. Since I have been in the Fl rental house - I have been adjusting to the low seating - I brought thick chair cushions and of course the raised toilet seat - both great helps. The weather is wonderful and I am hoping after a while here - maybe it will help with the stiffness. Sitting in the collapsible bag chair (I brought a Coleman large size one) at the beach is still a bit of a challenge getting up gracefully. But I am here for 5 weeks - I hope by the time I go home - I will have all these problems solved - I will be 6 months post op by then. I know - high hopes but a goal.
 
I'm glad your journey went well. It was very sensible to take your time and stop off along the way. Will you do the same thing when you go home again?

I hope you have a lovely time down in Florida and the break does both you and your knees the world of good.
 
@pleu711 :cool:
My mother lived in a memory care unit and I know that your break from the active daily hands on portion of your husband's care is essential for you. :console2: For my wife and me it was a 3 week trip to Tahiti and the Marquesas.
 
Well I have been in the Florida sunshine for 2 weeks and I can honestly say that I hurt more now than I did when I left the cold Ohio. I am so discouraged that my right knee/leg has been so painful since before Christmas even though I did not have an injury. I have needed to go back on a Percocet or two a day - the pain and stiffness is so bad in the mornings. My left knee seems to be on schedule for recovery - little pain, some stiffness, ext is 0 and flexion 115 - still some internal swelling. My right knee - ext is 0 and flexion is 110 or so depending on pain level and it does have some swelling. My biggest issue is that I still have weak quads - so much so that I still need to sit in higher sitting chairs, use elevated toilet seat or grab bars - if neither is available then I have to squat - can't get down to regular toilet height - 16.5 inches - who decided that was normal height for toilet? I'm 5'8" tall and overweight - I can't pull my self out of lower seat unless it has arms or there's something I can push from. I'm 5.5 months out from surgery - I have 3 more weeks down here and then drive home. Ortho says there may some scar tissue causing the pain and when I get back - he will determine if necessary for arthroscopic surgery. I so want it to just get better without surgery.
So here is my big question - any hints on how to strengthen these quads without raising my pain level and has anyone else had this problem this far out?

**can someone tell me how to change the heading on this thread to reflect the current issue?
 
Hi @pleu711
sorry to hear about your right knee pain, I'm 13 weeks out and still struggle with those issues. My therapist has me doing two exercises for my quads. first I have a 1lb ankle weight on, lying flat and keeping my leg straight I try to lift my leg. He says object is not to try to lift it high but to concentrate on engaging the quads. next is simple sitting with my leg outstretched (for me I sit on my coffee table) and then try to "push" the back of my knee to the table by engaging my quad. hold for 3 secs
 
What would you like the thread title changed to?
 
My PT also had me doing the straight leg lifts to increase my quad muscles. I didn't need to lift high (only 12" or so), but as my quad strength increased, they had me hold the lift longer (started at 10 for 3 seconds each.....eventually worked up to 30 at 15 seconds each).

I still need to use my hands to get up from low toilets and chairs. If they are really low, I usually slide one hand under my butt, and I spread my legs wide enough to put the other hand on the seat between my legs (you may need to turn slightly on the toilet seat to do this if it is a U-shaped seat instead of a round one). That usually gives me enough force and stability to get up without straining my quads or knees.

I do the reverse to get down to sit on rocks/chairs/toilets that are too low. I put both hands on the seat, then back down onto my hands, using arm strength to support me as I sit. I sit on my hands, then pull my hands out from under me once I'm seated. When the seat is really low, having one hand between my legs gives me a bit more stability (despite being far less graceful looking).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@pleu711 I`m in pretty much the same position as you are except that I only had one knee done. All the physio could suggest was straight leg raises, using ankle weights and adding resistance on to the stationary bike. However, all the latter achieves is an increase in swelling and pain and a trip back to square one. Hey ho.
 
@Cratchit, back it down a little then. I'm building up my quad strength and I'm SLOWLY seeing improvements. I started with a 1 lb weight,,initially it hurt and caused swelling. dropped down to no weights, 3 sets of 10. 3X's a day. Now I'm up to 2 lbs on the ankle. took me weeks (I swear global warmer is occurring faster) to be able to get through an entire exercise.

*** sighs*** you'll get there. hang in there
 
Yes,@Cratchit , try building up SLR without weights. When they're easy add the smallest weight for a few weeks. You need a slow progression. But if there's still swelling/pain don't do it at all.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Still lacking quads strength at 5 months post op<
per your request!
 
Thanks everyone - I was doing leg lifts with 2 lb wgts in PT and when my right leg started hurting so much - back in November - I stopped using the weights and have just been doing them without weights. Considering I have using my arms to lift myself up for the last 5 months - I should have huge biceps but I don't and now my shoulders are starting to hurt also. I came on this Florida trip hoping to get some relaxation and that the warm weather would help my pain but so far - neither has happened. As I mentioned before - my husband is in a memory care facility - luckily he has been doing fine without me there - our sons have been doing a wonderful job visiting and taking him out - so I should be enjoying my trip. Friday I was at the beach by myself in a heavy duty bag chair - I went to lift myself up - putting weight on the arms of the chair and one arm snapped - sending me back into the chair and it collapsing onto the sand. It hurt and shook me and after I realized my predicament - I slid down into the sand - turned over and tried not to put much weight onto my knees and kind of did a crawl til I could push myself up. I'm surprised I'm not on Youtube as I am sure it was amusing to see - kind of like a turtle on its back. But now I am sore and of course gun shy about going back to the beach and using one of those chairs again. I have to say - I wonder if I will ever be "normal" again. My left knee/leg is doing fairly well but this right one - ouch, ouch.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom