THR Still in pain

Good morning Alice,
I was still having crying jags at 3 months. It's a long process and one I wasn't ready for either.
I think the stinging/burning thing is common, sometimes, still experience that.
I'm almost 6 months post op and you will be surprised how much better you feel and what you can do, give it a little more time, ice, rest when you can. I know you are feeling impatient, so was I. I was told 30 days and I'd be back to doing what I wanted to do, no way, so unrealistic.
However, I do agree with Snoopy, if you are feeling that another doctor's opinion would help then by all means do that. Some doctors don't have same personality as others which might come across as uncaring but to them hip surgery is another day in the office, but for us it's a big deal and we need support.
Keep us posted on your decision.
Good morning and thank you for your response. It's good to hear someone else who felt like me at 3 months. I just made an appointment for next week with my original surgeon and I'll see what he has to say. I really feel that no other doctor is going to do or say anything when they aren't the one who did the surgery. It feels like there is something pulling behind my incision...causing the stinging/burning/pain. I'm glad to hear you are feeling so much better at 6 months. I spent all last evening crying and just not knowing what to do but now I will go to the doctor and see what he has to say. I will keep you all posted. Have a blessed day.

I really feel that no other doctor is going to do or say anything when they aren't the one who did the surgery.
I definitely disagree with that. I kept going back to my original surgeon who kept telling me "oh its just muscular! The fracture is all healed". This made me think the pain was in my head and that like you I should be much further along than I was. When I went to get the second opinion the doctor told me that the fracture is definitely not all healed and that it is in the process of healing. That made me so much more comfortable and made me realize that I wasn't crazy. Totally different experiences.

Hello Alice,
Stopping by a day after your three month anniversary. I'd like to wish you a happy anniversary, but it doesn't feel right in light of your struggles and concerns. Wondering if you met with your surgeon yet this week? Please let us know how the visit goes when you do, we're here for you and we care.
Hugs and best wishes!
@Alice D

Hello Alice,
Stopping by a day after your three month anniversary. I'd like to wish you a happy anniversary, but it doesn't feel right in light of your struggles and concerns. Wondering if you met with your surgeon yet this week? Please let us know how the visit goes when you do, we're here for you and we care.
Hugs and best wishes!
@Alice D
Hi Layla and thank you so much for following up with me. I just saw my surgeon today and he said that my pain that I'm having (which is still awful) is not from the hip surgery but it is nerve pain which does sometimes happen after hip replacement. He prescribed steroids and pain killers and wants me to get back to therapy and if that doesn't help, he will send me to a pain clinic. I'm so discouraged with all of this.....

Ugh! I'm so very sorry, dear Alice. Let's pray that the combination of therapy and time resolves the nerve
pain. :prayer: I understand your discouragement. Please know we're here for you whenever you need us.
I'm sending a warm hug your way with wishes for brighter days in your near future. :console2:
@Alice D

Ugh! I'm so very sorry, dear Alice. Let's pray that the combination of therapy and time resolves the nerve
pain. :prayer: I understand your discouragement. Please know we're here for you whenever you need us.
I'm sending a warm hug your way with wishes for brighter days in your near future. :console2:
@Alice D
Thank you! I really do appreciate your words and help. I'm glad I found this site...it has helped to know that other people don't always just sail through hip replacement either. I appreciate the prayers too.

Aww :console2:of course. And you're welcome. You stop by any time.

my pain that I'm having (which is still awful) is not from the hip surgery but it is nerve pain
OOh so sorry to hear that @Alice D. At least you found out what the cause is and that is always a good thing. Now you can concentrate on following the doctors suggestion and see if that helps. Best wishes that tomorrow will be a better day.

I am so sorry @Alice D . I hope the steroids help ease the nerve inflammation. We have a very good article i our library that discusses how the inflammation can irritate nerves, post op. I'll find it and leave it here for you.
Things do and will get better, it's still early days.

Here's a good article explaining nerve pain, too. Not the one I was looking for. I am including it because I also was one who was prescribed Gabapentin for nerve pain after surgery. My surgeon actually used it for the first several weeks post op to help keep things calm.

Here is the other article. At first the article seems glum but in summary, it is saying that inflammation can cause nerve pain.. It's not the same as nerve damage. So hopefully the steroids help you.

I hope the articles help, I find it helpful to get all of the information that I can to help myself.

Hi @Alice D How are you feeling? Hopefully the steroid medication is helping you?
Would love to hear from you and wanted you to know we are thinking of you. :flwrysmile:

Hi @Alice D
I just read your post and felt like I was reading my own story. I am 5 weeks 4 days post surgery and feeling the same way as you. I came here tonight to read and find support. I'm having more swelling today than I have since the first day of surgery and from reading everyone's response to you, I guess I must be over-doing my walking, getting up and down from the chair, and I even drove the car this week. I just want my life back and to be normal and walk normal. I guess I'm just being too hard on myself. I'm so grateful for this group. I hope you are feeling better every day.
Barbara

Hello Alice D
I’m also 8 weeks in this week and still get quite a lot of hip pain and stinging around my hip scar. I do ice my scar regularly. I have had it checked and all is well. I also felt I would be further on at this stage but that’s because I listened to too many people who seemed to have ‘sailed’ through it all. I’m struggling with really bad lower back pain, but I have come to realise my body will heal when it’s ready. I’m doing exercise which does help my back pain. Walking is still painful on occasion, but I just do what I can and every day small progress is being made. I also limp a bit and will probably do so until the muscles are strong on both sides.
I do sleep on both sides, but I have lots of pillows for support and comfort and definitely one long pillow in between my knees down to feet.
I was walking really bad before my op so it will take longer to recover.
You did a lot of exercise before your op, so I’m sure all will be well.
Please don’t be discouraged, your operation was major and so many things inside have to be repaired. Keep walking, keep positive, and things will improve for you. Enjoy your holiday and don’t be too hard on yourself. You’ll be dancing the night away before you know it.

Hello one month later, Alice. With any luck this four month anniversary of your THR has you feeling better than you were a month ago. Has the nerve pain lessened, or resolved? Hopefully you're experiencing some relief.
Wishing you all that's good.
@Alice D

Hello one month later, Alice. With any luck this four month anniversary of your THR has you feeling better than you were a month ago. Has the nerve pain lessened, or resolved? Hopefully you're experiencing some relief.
Wishing you all that's good.
@Alice D
Good morning Layla. Thank you for checking on me. Unfortunately, I am no better...in fact I think I'm worse. The pain in my leg is constant now and spreads into my buttock. I can't walk as far now as I could a month ago without pain and exhaustion. I'm going to therapy 3 times a week but nothing seems to be helping. I am very depressed over this whole outcome.

I am so sorry @Alice D . I hope the steroids help ease the nerve inflammation. We have a very good article i our library that discusses how the inflammation can irritate nerves, post op. I'll find it and leave it here for you.
Things do and will get better, it's still early days.

Here's a good article explaining nerve pain, too. Not the one I was looking for. I am including it because I also was one who was prescribed Gabapentin for nerve pain after surgery. My surgeon actually used it for the first several weeks post op to help keep things calm.

Thank you for this information. Unfortunately, I'm still having severe pain in my leg which I 'believe' is nerve pain but nothing seems to help. I've been on all of the drugs listed and nothing seems to even touch it. I'm very discouraged.....

Hi @Alice D How are you feeling? Hopefully the steroid medication is helping you?
Would love to hear from you and wanted you to know we are thinking of you. :flwrysmile:
Thank you. I'm still having a lot of pain and nothing is helping...not therapy, not meds, nothing. I can't stand this because I'm in constant pain and I can't walk more than a block without having to stop because I'm hurting and also exhausted...just no strength to go on. Thank you for thinking of me.

Here is the other article. At first the article seems glum but in summary, it is saying that inflammation can cause nerve pain.. It's not the same as nerve damage. So hopefully the steroids help you.

I hope the articles help, I find it helpful to get all of the information that I can to help myself.
I tried to open this article but it said it cannot be found. I appreciate you trying to help with sending me information. I'm beyond knowing what to do anymore to alleviate my pain.

Unfortunately, I am no better...in fact I think I'm worse
Wondering if your surgeon's suggestion of a pain clinic should be a consideration at this point. I'm so sorry you're struggling as you are. :console2:

@Alice D just catching back up on your post and I'm so sorry to hear you're still having pain. Are you taking oral steroids?

I'm thinking a pain clinic might be worth checking out. They are usually well versed in giving injections to help diagnose and sometimes lessen and even alleviate the pain. I had pain that felt like my incision was splitting, that was one of the many strange pains. The incision was fine but there was a lot of soft tissue that needed to heal. Some of us take longer.

I have been diagnosed with trochanteric bursitis, here's some info from our library.

This may be something worth looking into. I also have back problems though I did have spinal fusion it wasn't a fix all. I get sharp pains down my leg to my feet at times. Sacroiliac joints can also cause pain down through the feet. I have gone to pain management for all of these issues and it can sometimes be helpful.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom