THR Still in pain 4-months post-op<

Hi there:wave:
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you get answers soon. We're rooting for you.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend!
@Ruamac
 
Hi @Ruamac,

Just my thoughts here.

I won’t get into a debate about PT and if it is needed or not. Will leave that to others . But, the one thing all those discharge leaflets say, any any physiotherapist worth a salt will tell you, if it hurts, stop.

Well my friend, you are in pain... that qualifies as “it hurts”. So I would stop all the exercises for now (unless I misread your response and you already have).

In terms of the “how long for the pain to go away” question you may be asking, here is what I would like you to consider (I have to tell myself to consider this too, as I forget). If you have strained your muscles (which is really easy to do after hip surgery... and I am living proof), it can take weeks to feel no pain. Have you ever kinked your neck?... you know, where you couldn’t turn to one side, and there was pain and stiffness. If so, remember how long it took before the pain and stiffness completely went away?... weeks right? And then, you think the kink is gone and you are in the clear, you reach for something or turn you head too quickly, and wham, you neck is kinked again (because it wasn’t quite all better yet).

Well your hip is no different. The muscles require rest, gentle stretching, ice (and sometimes heat), a bit of self massage. And once you are pain free, you still need to take it easy for a while, else be right back where you started.

Cheers
 
Thanks, Mojo. My level of exercise has been gradual, which I suppose I should've said in my post. I just started off with one set of three or four exercises for the first few weeks. In fact, on week three I hurt myself when my crutch slipped on something and I fell, so I gave myself a complete break for a week after that and then started again very gradually. I have tried to follow the advice I've read on the forum and don't think I've done anything too stupid. I don't mind if my recovery takes longer than most so long as it happens eventually. Fingers crossed:)

Hi there:wave:
Stopping by to wish you a Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you get answers soon. We're rooting for you.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful weekend!
@Ruamac
Oh, so it is! Thanks, Layla!

Thanks Wonky! That makes so much sense! It's great to be given all this advice and the excuse to rest. Now, where did I put that book?
 
I also heard and read many "stories" of other joint replacement patients who were supposed to be amazingly transformed and feeling like Olympians within just days of surgery. I can't imagine that possibly being true after going through it twice. Real recovery was slow and gradual in both of my situations.

I just saw that squiggle chart for the first time today. Very accurate in my experience.
 
It's two weeks since I first posted here and things haven't got any better. In fact, my hip feels worse. I've been trying to take it easy - no bending, no lifting, no exercise other than walking around the house on two crutches. It hurts when I walk. I'm getting a kind of burning/tingling feeling on the outside of my hip, and I get an excruciating pain in my groin area if I step to the right. It also feels a bit odd and kind of weak. It's hard to describe but it definitely doesn't feel as if it's recovering.

I had the pre-op for my right hip on the 17th and was basically given the go ahead for January. However, when I told the nurse that I was in pain with the left hip she said that my surgeon might want to postpone the operation to give the left hip a bit more time. She went away to see if the surgeon was available but he was in surgery so she spoke to his secretary who told her to put a note on my file. I called the secretary two days later and she said that my surgeon probably won't see my notes for up to three weeks. So, for now, it's a waiting game.

I just wanted to say all this here because, any time I talk to my family or friends about it, they just say, 'Oh, you'll be fine!' Or, 'I'm sure this is all normal!' But it doesn't feel normal to me. It feels worse than before my operation. Not that it wasn't really sore before but at least I knew I couldn't really do any damage. Now I'm just afraid that I'm doing too much, or not enough, and might either damage it, or let my muscles atrophy to the point that they'll not be able to support the prosthetic.
 
Hi @Ruamac
I'm sorry you're struggling and in pain. I noticed you answered, Jo's questions.
She will be away from the forum until early next week and I'm sure she'll she get back to you then.
I'd advise you continue to refrain from the exercises. Try icing any painful areas in the interim. Josephine recommends icing several times per day, for no less than 40-60 minutes per session. I'm sorry for the delay in response from your doctor, I'm sure you are frustrated and confused. I will look forward to Josephine's response.
I wish you comfort as you seek answers and resolution.
 
@Layla, thank you for your response and advice. I have only one ice pack but I've ordered another so that I can ice for longer periods than I have been. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

:thankyou:
 
Jo should be in touch soon. Hang in there. I believe she'll be back tomorrow. But she'll most likely be busy catching up. I'll tag her so she touches base with you upon her return. @Josephine
Wishing you comfort in the interim. :console2:
 
Hi @Ruamac,

I recently tweaked my groin (PT say the adductor brevis). He said it can take 3-4 weeks to heal, and that any aggravation will slow that healing time down. Makes sense to me. Like you, some sudden move trigger pain. For me, if I walk and try to turn right (like turning a corner) normally, it aggravates it. So I do the little shuffle quarter turns. Seems to prevent me from aggravate it. I also find if I walk too fast I can tweak it.

Muscles are tricky things... and they can take a frustratingly long time to heal. One thing that helps my mental state a bit is to remind myself that if I hadn’t had hip surgery, or the pain was in my other leg (or arm, or whatever), I would simply not worry about it and let it take the time it needs to heal. Funny how when we feel pain in our replaced hip that our minds immediately go to all the bad possibilities.

Anyway, not sure my words will help or not, but thought I would send them to you nonetheless.

Cheers
 
2. Unmedicated anything from 4-7 when walking/rising from a sitting position.
Medicated about 3-4
Tenderness to the touch around op site. About level 2-3 pain around op site when pressed.
Considering you are now about 20 weeks out, you shouldn't have this much pain.
3. Mainly just paracetamol 1000mg 2-4 times daily.
I was given MST 10mg, Sevredol 10mg and codeine 30mg on discharge from hospital but only took them regularly for the first week to ten days. Now I just take one or other when the pain gets bad or if I have a busy day ahead.
Sevredol is a form of morphine so you shouldn't be taking this now
Codeine is okay, sort of and if it works for you! But it does tend to make the patient constipated!
Paracetamol is probably the best pain med that's not an opioid but you need to take a proper dose and take it often enough. Which you are not doing. I suggest you take it 4 times a day at 6hrly intervals, not forgetting to take the night time dose IN the night!
MST is salycilate or aspirin and a type of NSAID which is largely ineffective for pain management and has hazards as you can read here Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers. So it goes without saying that you shouldn't take this.
4. I hadn't been icing at all till a couple of weeks ago. Now I do it at night for about 15-20 minutes.
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
5. I don't consistently elevate every day. It could be anything from 0-4 times a day for up to an hour, depending on my schedule.
Okay
6. I work from home and spend quite a lot of time sitting in front of a computer.
Housework: I do the following most days:
Sweep hard floors about 20 minutes
Preparing meals and cleaning up afterwards 3 or 4 times daily a total of about 2 hours per day
Baking 3-4 hours weekly
Cleaning all the normal daily stuff like cleaning bathrooms, dusting, laundry, etc. about 2 hours daily
Shopping supermarket a couple of times a week for half an hour to an hour.
Okay

Lying on bed 3 times daily:
Knee bends x10
Abduction x10
Ankle rotation x10

Standing 3 times daily:
Knee raises x10
Abduction x10
Leg extensions x10

About 3 weeks ago I added the following:
Buttock clenches x10
Quad flexion and straightening knee x10


I haven't had any physio at all.
Didn't you see the paragraph in the articles Jaycey left you in the third post of this thread? It reads

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

So the summary is:
Take the paracetamol on a better regime
DON'T do any exercises
Ice more
 
@Josephine, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, I realise I shouldn't have this much pain, that's why I'm so concerned.

I'm sorry, I realise my answer on meds was ambiguous.

MST Continus 10mg - this is slow-release morphine. I rarely take it or the Sevredol, and only when I've had or will have a long, tiring day. I was sent home from hospital with 60 of each and still have half of them left so that's an indication of how often I actually take them. I'll pass on them from now on.
Codeine - I actually have taken it on a few occasions since I responded to your questions. It doesn't constipate me - I eat a lot of fruit and veg.

I have been icing for longer periods since Layla told me that this would be your advice.

Yes, I did see this paragraph and have been following the advice. Actually, I had already stopped all exercise when I posted my first message. I'm sorry that my answers were apparently confusing. I should have said that those were the exercises I had been doing but had stopped because of the pain. I had built up to those over the four months post-op.

Thank you for the answer and information. I will continue with the changes I've made and will take the paracetamol as you have advised.

Rua
 
No worries. I apologise that I obviously looked up the wrong MST! Otherwise, keep up the good work!
 
Back
Top Bottom